Old October 14, 2001, 13:57   #31
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well exactly Faboba! I'm going to consider a river as a huge bonus!
Old October 14, 2001, 14:04   #32
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:38
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Do rivers still give +50% defense? or is that gone with the rivers located in the edge of the tiles?
I think that's a question only to be answered by the first American kind enough to scan large chuncks of his manual into the computer in a cuple of weeks time for me and the other Europeans.

No one's going to know this kind of exact information ( probably ) until we get the actual game.
Old October 14, 2001, 14:07   #33
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
I think that's a question only to be answered by the first American kind enough to scan large chuncks of his manual into the computer in a cuple of weeks time for me and the other Europeans.

No one's going to know this kind of exact information ( probably ) until we get the actual game.
Why not just uplaod the PDF-version?
Old October 14, 2001, 14:10   #34
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Faboba: You and all of your European friends just let me know what you want and how you want it and I'll see what kind of information I can give to you. I plan on making posts daily on my experiences and information about the game, but I only want to do so if the Europeans don't mind the "spoilers".
Old October 14, 2001, 14:15   #35
Xmudder
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:38
Sorry to burst your bubble
But the rivers extend into unexplored territory... so how could you gain resources from land you haven't even found yet? Resources have to be under a colony or within your culture radius to be useful to you.
I think the roads have been turned off in this shot. It's in a despotism, but gaining +1 trade w/o roads? WTF?
The bonus resource on the far right is wheat, +2 food on a 2/1/0 grasslands / flood plain. The one one the lower left is Cattle, +1 food, +1 shield on a 2/1/0 grasslands. I don't know what is on the upper left, but it is +2 shields on a 2/0/0 grasslands / flood plain.
And that's a Beaver, standing for furs, I presume. Don't know what the tri-color one is.
Old October 14, 2001, 14:18   #36
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Xmudder, are you on drugs? Maybe there is a city somewhere within the empire that is on that same river that has access to certain resources. Maybe it's liked to another city via a port. Who knows... but one thing for sure is that this city is getting resources, and there are no roads linking it to another city or to resources.
Old October 14, 2001, 14:18   #37
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Do rivers still give +50% defense? or is that gone with the rivers located in the edge of the tiles?
In traditional wargames (you know, the pre-computer types), the better way to portray rivers was for them to be on the hexagon borders. That way, being attacked along the river was no problem. You only get a defensive bonus if you are attacked across the river.

In other words: (1) YES, and (2) No.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.