Old October 13, 2001, 16:13   #1
Akbar
Prince

Local Time: 14:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarossa AI
I want to see the AI in Civ3 make attacks en masse. I want there to be Stalingrad like battles where fighting spills outside the cities themselves and evolves into small battles for beachheads and forts around the disputed city. Are there forts in Civ3. Will the computer attack with more than three or four units at a time?

PS. We must unite to contest the Green Army's resurrection!
Old October 13, 2001, 19:05   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
they claim the ai r0x0rz. we'll see shortly.

anyway, the way i see it, if ICS is properly minimzed, with maps 6x larger than civ2's maps, there might be "neutral zones", large deserts or tundras that no one really wants (until they need oil).

colonies might be an effective way to gather resources from a desert that is 50 x 50 tiles
Old October 15, 2001, 16:28   #3
Akbar
Prince

There better be large battles and a determined AI in this one or I will immediately begin my secret moves to resurrect the old front by dropping a Lordstone on my enemies, and cleaving them with a Clovis, not to mention a mrtemba and one of my most competent generals of old, Curunir, Man of Skill...

Can I get a real response to this thread Firaxis?

Beware, Imran! Clovis is watching you!
Old October 15, 2001, 16:41   #4
cort
Warlord

Local Time: 16:38
Re: Barbarossa AI
Quote:
Originally posted by Akbar
I want to see the AI in Civ3 make attacks en masse. I want there to be Stalingrad like battles where fighting spills outside the cities themselves and evolves into small battles for beachheads and forts around the disputed city. Are there forts in Civ3. Will the computer attack with more than three or four units at a time?

personally, i donot expect that much from the AI..

remember what dan had said; the AI still cheats at higher difficulty levels, to make the game harder.. if they had a strong AI programming they probably wouldnot have needed this.. and this is the most probably the reason why no one at fraxis can beat the the DEITY AI.. they've made units so cheap for the deity that u cannot manage to catch up with..

..making production cheaper & research easier for the AI will definitely make the game more difficult and more fun to play but I donot think the AI will make coordinated attacks regarding comlex strategies..

hope i'm wrong..
Old October 15, 2001, 16:44   #5
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
no... what Dan said was that the AI does get a helping hand at Deity, but everything below that is done without anything up the sleeves....
Old October 15, 2001, 17:22   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

incorrect. dan said from cheiftan -> prince the ai actually cheats in your favor, at prince there is no cheating, and above prince iot cheats for itself.
Old October 15, 2001, 18:23   #7
Crouchback
Warlord

Cheat is as cheat does
Quote:
Originally posted by cort
..making production cheaper & research easier for the AI will definitely make the game more difficult and more fun to play but I donot think the AI will make coordinated attacks regarding comlex strategies..

hope i'm wrong..
I remember my third game in CTP2 at deity level. The English (AI) had tanks and machine gunners, but my 48 Welsh cannon went in supported by a stack of storm musketeers and cavalry. And the English fools just sat there in their capitol and took the pounding until the city was defenceless. Never, not even once, did Elizabeth?s forces try to lift the siege or disrupt my attack. All of England, advanced and populous as she was, fell to the Welsh monarch in the space of 200 years.

Yes, I'm with you Akbar. Roll on a remotely intelligent opposition, but it is a pity about MP.

David
Old October 15, 2001, 19:59   #8
Akbar
Prince

...that's because CTP2 blows like Imran blowed Brian Reynol's at the CTP Off Topic forum until Red Trotskyite dislodged Imran.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:46   #9
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:38
I think the AI will be much improved. They said that they started from scratch and completely redesigned stuff. I've also seen things about the AI learning as it goes along, so that it will adapt what it does. And Soren Johnson, this guy who is supposed to be a great AI programmer, is the lead AI programmer for the game.

I hope (though I doubt) that there is an option to turn the cheating (for and against you) off.
Old October 16, 2001, 00:17   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
I hope (though I doubt) that there is an option to turn the cheating (for and against you) off.
Easy, just choose to play at Prince level That way, there is no AI cheating. Not sure if you get different amounts of unhappiness on the different difficulty levels though.
Old October 16, 2001, 01:16   #11
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Yeah. That was the things that always annoyed m, in order to play against decent computer players I had to increase the domestic difficulty too which ruined the fun. I doubt this will have been addressed however I'm sure one of the many clever people at Apolyton will find a way around this for me :grovel:
Old October 16, 2001, 03:24   #12
LaRusso
King

Re: Barbarossa AI
Quote:
Originally posted by Akbar

I thing you confused things a bit. In order to have Stalingrad-like battles, you have to have multiple squares in a city (and we all know that will not happen. I do not know why you imagine Stalingrad battle to be like that, your description fits more that of a civil war
As for mass AI attacks, it should definitely be possible and Barbarossa-like attack would be cool. It would be very important to have AI that knows how to use second wave and reinforcements...
Old October 16, 2001, 06:31   #13
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
they claim the ai r0x0rz. we'll see shortly.

anyway, the way i see it, if ICS is properly minimzed, with maps 6x larger than civ2's maps, there might be "neutral zones", large deserts or tundras that no one really wants (until they need oil).

colonies might be an effective way to gather resources from a desert that is 50 x 50 tiles
They do? I've only seen very modest claims so far. Nothing like the excessive display of fancily animated GIFs.

I'm beginnning to tire of this guesswork... I'm just glad the game will be shipping soon.
Old October 16, 2001, 15:35   #14
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Easy, just choose to play at Prince level That way, there is no AI cheating. Not sure if you get different amounts of unhappiness on the different difficulty levels though.
That's the thing, I wanna see how difficult Diety will be without having warriors killing my tanks and things like that (hyperbole!)

So I don't want to always play on Prince.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:07   #15
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:38
I don't normally pray, but I'm praying for an AI that's AT LEAST TWICE as good CIV2, in order for me to get any challenge...
I'll settle for anything 1.5x or better though.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:24   #16
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cassembler
I don't normally pray, but I'm praying for an AI that's AT LEAST TWICE as good CIV2, in order for me to get any challenge...
I'll settle for anything 1.5x or better though.
And how exactlty do you measure the goodness of the AI?
I think that the Civ II AI was 1.7 times as good the Civ I AI...
Old October 16, 2001, 20:36   #17
Zanzin
Prince

I've been saying for a while that if the AI knows how to co-ordinate a massive military attack against me on multiple fronts, I'd be happy. But I can't see it happening - it's too hard for an AI to work out. Which kinda defeats the purpose of the game, because it means that whilst I can launch masively co-ordinated attacks, the AI prolly can't. SO I guess I won't be happy.

Then again, I may be wrong and Firaxis has done something amazing with the AI.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:44   #18
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

The AI has supposedly been completely redone and will be a lot better. At least that's what we've been told. An AI that could do better city planning is what I'm looking for. I hate AI cities that I take over, with all that overlapping and the gold and whale just one square away...
Old October 17, 2001, 01:52   #19
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Re Barbarossa A.I
A.I I am sure will be better but I know that having many units attacking and creating fronts and reserves of armies outside of the cities will definitely be in relation to the # of units the Civ has.

Which brings me to a big ? for Civ 3.

Can we force the A.I to build units in War scenarios by making them the only thing they can build inc Capitilization. In Civ2 you had to give units to the A.I as capitilization was available to the A.I even without the advance and could not be switched off.

If turning off Capitalization is not possible in Civ3 you can kiss goodbye trying to steer the scenario with available advances/tech tree.

Anyone know yet whether this is possible in Civ3?
Old October 17, 2001, 05:55   #20
Dry
Prince

FYI: Stalingrad (42-43) is not part of operation Barbarossa, it is part of operation Blue.

Barbarossa is the initial assault on Soviet Union June,22 1941

here is a link:
http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com...ad/default.asp
Old October 17, 2001, 06:53   #21
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
I PM'd you UberKrux
Old October 17, 2001, 09:38   #22
Deathwalker
Prince

Just so long as the AI is not the same as that piece of **** they put in CTP2 Then it should be a good game, in the years since Civ2 was made there has been huge advances in AI and I hope that this is reflected in the game.