Old October 13, 2001, 17:51   #1
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will there really be a world map?
Many here have talked about the World Map, as if there will be a world map in the game from the start. But do we really have ANY confirmation that there will indeed be a world map included? I havn't seen any, but maybe I havn't been looking hard enough.

Also, if it is in, how big is it?

Peace!
-- Roland
Old October 13, 2001, 18:03   #2
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:39
They'd be very, very stupid not to include one.
Old October 13, 2001, 18:04   #3
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:39
Yes.
Old October 13, 2001, 18:08   #4
August Borms
Prince

CTP 2 also had a worldmap. You could build 2 cities in Britain.

I hope they include a slightly larger worldmap
Old October 13, 2001, 19:11   #5
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
CTP 2 also had a worldmap. You could build 2 cities in Britain. I hope they include a slightly larger worldmap
Actually, I read somewhere that you'll be able to build around 20 cities in Britain, using the civ3 Earth map.
Old October 13, 2001, 19:17   #6
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

That was on the hugest possible size, which will be made available by fans soon after release. We dont know if one is shipping with the game.
Old October 13, 2001, 19:35   #7
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
If not, we'll make one.

There are lots of people into making good maps, even an amateur like me. I didn't like the Europe map that came with Civ II (too much of Asia in it), so I made my own. I soon discovered several better Europe maps on various sites (Apolyton, CivFanatics).

Should they include one? Sure. But if not, we have lots of resources at our disposal, including the (hopefully) easy to use map editor.
Old October 13, 2001, 19:45   #8
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It would be nice to have some confirmation. I honestly cannot see the fun in playing historically accurate civilisations on anything but an Earth map.

Bkeela.
Old October 13, 2001, 19:51   #9
FuFu15
Chieftain

a world map? come on how could they NOT include a world map. it's so basic and essential to the civ series. i mean COME ON, its the year 2001. Thats like...leaving something like multiplayer out! oh wait...

Old October 13, 2001, 20:37   #10
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
Originally posted by FuFu15
a world map? come on how could they NOT include a world map. it's so basic and essential to the civ series. i mean COME ON, its the year 2001. Thats like...leaving something like multiplayer out! oh wait...

no, it would be worse

i hate that ctp had no earth map and i've never seen one for the mac version
Old October 13, 2001, 20:43   #11
joseph1944

I hope so. I play on World Maps a lot more than whatever.

Old October 13, 2001, 21:23   #12
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy

no, it would be worse

i hate that ctp had no earth map and i've never seen one for the mac version
CTP didn't ship with world maps, but Activision did eventually create some for download, as I recall.
Old October 13, 2001, 21:58   #13
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FuFu15

every post ive seen u make is a flame towards firaxis or another poster here... u need some help.
Old October 13, 2001, 22:02   #14
d_dudy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzin

CTP didn't ship with world maps, but Activision did eventually create some for download, as I recall.
once again: i've never seen one for the mac
Old October 13, 2001, 22:27   #15
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Does it matter if they include a world map?

The map they included with Civ2 was so disturbingly horrible they might as well not have put it in. We'd probably be better off if they leave it out so no one has to endure such geographic monstrocities. Those maps could have been made in the 1200s for as acurate as they are.

I made what i consider an excellent world map for Civ2, named Real World, it is available at CivFanatics. I sent it to Apolyton half a dozen times but they never put it up. Grrr. Real Europe is the best Europe map too, not mine though.

So no matter if they have a map or not I'll do a better, more accurate version when it comes out.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 14, 2001, 03:03   #16
vincentz
Chieftain

Think of it this way: would you rather wait three weeks so they can design a kick-ass earth map, incorporate it into the Civ and then ship it to the publisher OR would you like to get the game shipped now, and while we wait the three weeks for it to be published they make a kick-ass earth map and issue a patch the same week they release the game? Well? WELL?

Vincentz
Old October 14, 2001, 03:16   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela
It would be nice to have some confirmation. I honestly cannot see the fun in playing historically accurate civilisations on anything but an Earth map.

Bkeela.
I usually use the world map, but if I want to do some expansion without really knowing where I am, I'll download a non-historical map (I never use the land-ribbon maps generated by the game). The player always has the advantage of knowing where the large landmasses are on a world map.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 14, 2001, 03:28   #18
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
CTP 2 also had a worldmap. You could build 2 cities in Britain.

I hope they include a slightly larger worldmap
That Activision World Map was the WORST world map I ever SEEN.
COMPLETLY inaqurate!

Still, players have made some nice World Maps for CTP2 & CTP.
Old October 14, 2001, 06:42   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:39
Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
I never use the land-ribbon maps generated by the game
At least we wont need to worry about that in Civ 3
I actually looked at all the screenshots i could find from Civ 3, all the maps look pretty decent. Yay
Old October 14, 2001, 09:05   #20
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Decent? The map generator screen alone looks gorgeous.

http://www.multiplayer.it/show.php3?...500/s_img7.jpg
Old October 14, 2001, 09:38   #21
Yoleus
Warlord

super deformed world map?
You know, what I really would like is a "risk-like" world map,
pretty similar to the world map but slightly bigger and more detailed in the more sensitive spots...
what i mean is a little less of Sahara, Tibet, Siberia (with all the respect for those places and the relative inhibitants) and more Europe, Middle East, India, Far East.
I mean, I can't have a decent Japan or England on a "real world map" civ game, can I?
A kind of "interest lens" to enlarge the more crowdy spots.
What do you think?
Old October 14, 2001, 11:26   #22
d_dudy
Prince

well, it's not an earth map if it's unrealistic

and with recources everything's important now
Old October 14, 2001, 11:55   #23
Oligarf
Warlord

If they want to ship a world map with the game, fine with me. I will play some games on it probably but I don't think a real world map is essential to Civ. Though it looks pretty stupid if they leave it out, is it so much work to make it? And of course the community will offer new 'more realistic' maps as soon as the games comes out.
Old October 14, 2001, 12:09   #24
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut

I usually use the world map, but if I want to do some expansion without really knowing where I am, I'll download a non-historical map (I never use the land-ribbon maps generated by the game). The player always has the advantage of knowing where the large landmasses are on a world map.
Thankfully no more long twisting continents like in Civ II. Much better world generator as far as I can tell.

When playing on a world map I try to... pretend I don't know where everything is (and my geography isn't very good, anyway!)

One thing I didn't like from Civ II and still appears to be in Civ III is the fact that you know where you are on the map. Until civilizations had astronomy and had expanded, they didn't know where they were. All maps should look as if your civilization is at the center of the world to begin... at least to begin.
Old October 14, 2001, 12:17   #25
Yoleus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

Thankfully no more long twisting continents like in Civ II. Much better world generator as far as I can tell.
[...]
. All maps should look as if your civilization is at the center of the world to begin... at least to begin.
I definitely agree. Twice.
Old October 14, 2001, 15:05   #26
Cluk
Settler

Local Time: 06:39
Here's something to think about:
The Iroquois need horses for their special unit, but if they start in the New World, there won't be any horses available at all! By the time they or someone else gets map making and finally secures some horses, the special unit will be irrelevant!
How's Firaxis gonna deal with this? They might have to make resources randomly placed, even on Earth, or just drop a horse square somewhere in North America.
Old October 14, 2001, 15:10   #27
TVA22
Chieftain

If anybody's interested
I don't know how behind the times I am, but at civfanatics, in the civ2 download section, go to new maps, and you'll find what I think to be THE BEST world map for a civ game I've ever seen. It's called "duck of flanders" map or something like that. Just look for the real world one.

What the creator did was take off all the land just below the tip of South America, and about halfway through siberia, he/she cut off everything above. This results in the negative, no north pole, or even sailing ships around the north pole, but on the plus side, it adds SO MUCH more land to the "important" areas, while not deforming the map.

For instance, on places like Japan and the UK, you can fit 4 well developed cities, with areas of influence not even touching.

It's not a perfect map, and you still have the same problem that the civ2 engine supports the bigger is always better setup for civs, but it's a lot of fun to play multiplayer on, as it's the most realistic map I've yet seen.
Old October 14, 2001, 15:15   #28
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Well, if there's some kind of resource randomizer, then they could get horses quite easily...

If they improved the map generator, I'll be happy. No more long, twisting continents or one-square deserts...
Old October 14, 2001, 15:48   #29
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Cluk
Here's something to think about:
The Iroquois need horses for their special unit, but if they start in the New World, there won't be any horses available at all! By the time they or someone else gets map making and finally secures some horses, the special unit will be irrelevant!
How's Firaxis gonna deal with this? They might have to make resources randomly placed, even on Earth, or just drop a horse square somewhere in North America.
Dan said that there would be horses in America even though it is not historically accurate. This is one case in which gameplay overrides realism.
Old October 14, 2001, 16:29   #30
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela

Bkeela.
Do not be concerned about playing historically accurate civilizations -- It won't happen. The history in the game you are playing will quickly become "unhistorical".
For this reason, I do not need an accurate world map. It IS nice to know the geography, though!

Even with Civ2, if you play with the world generation controls right, you can get away from the ribbon continents.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.