Old October 15, 2001, 05:58   #31
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
the words rational, peace lovin' and empire don't belong in the same sentence !
Old October 15, 2001, 20:23   #32
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by cort

how?
i have discovered the gunpowder but I have no saltpeter..
i cannot trade cause no one knows about it. I know there is saltpeter around the world but its in the mainland of one of my foes.. cannot invade there cause im a science oriented civ, not spending much on military..

so, how shall i take advantage of guns? just continue to research.. discover metallurgy (cannons).. still no saltpeter?!

ps. not complaining actually.. the fun is to overcome these kind of situations..
How? Because while you're out looking for the saltpeter, either by conquering other people or by expanding your civilization peacefully, no one else even knows it's there.

Example: Your civ has just discovered gunpowder. Too bad the saltpeter it is right outside the borders of an enemy civ (I don't think you could find resources inside an enemies borders unless you're there (in which case you've already got an advantage )). So anyway, you start building roads to it before the enemy civ, even though it's closer to them, even knows it's there. They finally discover gunpowder and start building roads there, but they're too late, you've already got access to the saltpeter with a colony and are guarding it with a wonderful new Musketman.

And if it is inside your enemy borders then that's the challenge of the game. Which as you said if the fun part!
Old October 15, 2001, 21:17   #33
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

How? Because while you're out looking for the saltpeter, either by conquering other people or by expanding your civilization peacefully, no one else even knows it's there.

Example: Your civ has just discovered gunpowder. Too bad the saltpeter it is right outside the borders of an enemy civ (I don't think you could find resources inside an enemies borders unless you're there (in which case you've already got an advantage )). So anyway, you start building roads to it before the enemy civ, even though it's closer to them, even knows it's there. They finally discover gunpowder and start building roads there, but they're too late, you've already got access to the saltpeter with a colony and are guarding it with a wonderful new Musketman.

And if it is inside your enemy borders then that's the challenge of the game. Which as you said if the fun part!
Interesting. But what if the enemy civilization accumulates so much culture that his borders expand? Might he engulf your colony that way? Just wondering ...
Old October 15, 2001, 23:46   #34
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:40
I imagine that there's a sliding bar at the beginning of a game that controls the overall amount of resources that are in the game, so that if you like not having to worry about them, then they're more abundant.
Old October 16, 2001, 00:00   #35
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Re: hard time for science oriented players
Quote:
Originally posted by cort
however, considering the new resource system, things will not be the same again.. say you invent gunpowder but dont have access to saltpeter.. what you are going to do? try to gather it through trade.. but u know what; you are the first civ to discover gunpowder, therefore no other civ is producing saltpeter.. your new invention is useless..
But the other civ might not even know they HAVE saltpeter, since certain resources only become revealed after specific tech discoveries.

How would they be able to trade it I wonder?

Wow! Talk about a twist!
Old October 16, 2001, 15:51   #36
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch

Interesting. But what if the enemy civilization accumulates so much culture that his borders expand? Might he engulf your colony that way? Just wondering ...
Then I haven't done a good job of defending my territory have I? But I believe that strong military presence prevents cultural assimilation, so maybe I can send in a few military units to protect it. But I don't know how this works with colonies.