Old October 15, 2001, 05:50   #1
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How will terrain effect battles?
Northern civs like Russia should have advantage when fighting in tundra against Zulus or so...

In Sid's Colonization Indians had advantage when attacking Europeans in forests or mountains, like colonists had when fighting against mother country (mean:independence war).
Civ III should have that far more advanced...
Old October 15, 2001, 05:54   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:42
To the best of my knowledge Civ 3 is using the traditional approach of automatic defence modifiers depenent only on terrain type. There are no 'native' bonuses. Apolyton did discuss the potential merits of having terrain preferences and special units depending on the makeup of your home terrain but it has not happened.
Old October 15, 2001, 07:06   #3
LaRusso
King

yeah, it would be nigh impossible...with all random generation etc, and given the resistance to UU would probably be slaughtered at forums anyway....
Old October 15, 2001, 07:08   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Besides, invaders get a movement penalty when they move through your territory - they dont get any bonus from roads or railways.
Old October 15, 2001, 07:11   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

I got the impression that the people like me who don't like fixed UU's becasue they are nonsensical were the ones more in favour of allowing civilizations to 'grow' their own bonuses depending on where they lived and how they acted. It was the 'keep it simple' and 'Civ is a game, not history sim' camps who were less in favour of this approach.
Old October 15, 2001, 09:20   #6
Dry
Prince

Re: How will terrain effect battles?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jusbaummer
In Sid's Colonization Indians had advantage when attacking Europeans in forests or mountains, like colonists had when fighting against mother country (mean:independence war).
Civ III should have that far more advanced...
This could be simulated:
if the attacker is a partisan within its country border or within 3 turns after its creation, then the defender bonus becomes a malus.
Old October 15, 2001, 10:12   #7
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:42
I don't like the idea of allowing certain civs to be better at attacking or defending in certain climates because there would be too many variables to calculate when going to war. Already, with the introduction of culture, it's going to be difficult to wage war as it is.

Besides, on a historical side, armies usually adapt to climate eventually. Even if an army had an advantage at first, at one point, the other side would overcome climatic obstacles.
Old October 15, 2001, 10:46   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

Wouldn't that be quite detailed? I mean, isn't their
enough detailed things in Civ III already?
I can hardly think many new additions to the game
now, perhaps in the expansion...
Old October 15, 2001, 13:09   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:42
Why would we have such minor details when major factors like supplies aren't in the game?
Old October 15, 2001, 13:40   #10
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
yeah, it would be nigh impossible...with all random generation etc, and given the resistance to UU would probably be slaughtered at forums anyway....
Locutus added it to CtP2 using SLIC, you'd think Firaxis could hard-code it. Or let us add it with a scripting language Grrr
Old October 15, 2001, 13:47   #11
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Why would we have such minor details when major factors like supplies aren't in the game?

What du mean with "supplies" ?
Old October 15, 2001, 14:41   #12
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Asesino_Virtual
What du mean with "supplies" ?
I guess he meant stockpiling resources.
Old October 15, 2001, 15:10   #13
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
I guess he meant stockpiling resources.
No I think Ranger means feeding troops, who have never heard of Napoleon in Civ 3. And I plan to try putting mountain troops in by using the Editor, with reduced movement/attack penalties on mountains and improved defence stats. All possible without a scripting language I'm hoping Wombat.

David
Old October 15, 2001, 15:53   #14
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Let's admit it; We hardcore Civ players want each turn to be one day.
Old October 15, 2001, 16:34   #15
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
And I plan to try putting mountain troops in by using the Editor, with reduced movement/attack penalties on mountains and improved defence stats. All possible without a scripting language I'm hoping Wombat.
Depends how many flags Civ3 includes. Civ2 had too few for my liking, and with more flags it might be possible, but with a scripting language, then not only could you customise what the rules apply to, you can make new rules. Much better.
Old October 15, 2001, 18:27   #16
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:42
Hmm, its a good concept, but its not too realistic and it would overcomplicate the game. Maybe to help simulate this- units within their own borders might get bonuses. But just because Siberians are fighting in snow doesn't mean that no one else should be able to fight well in snow.

Veitnam War is a good example: I don't think the Vietnamese did so well against U.S. soldiers because of the terrain, but more because it was their homeland.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:26   #17
Xmudder
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:42
What happened in Vietnam was largely China's fault. We knew if it looked like we were winning the war China would come pouring across the border, like they did in Korea. Johnson was an criminally incompetant. He got us into a war we could not win.

As for Civ III, a defensive bonus for operations within your culural area would be good. Didn't SMAC have something like that?

EDIT: Mixed up name

Last edited by Xmudder; October 15, 2001 at 20:43.
Old October 15, 2001, 20:36   #18
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Besides, invaders get a movement penalty when they move through your territory - they dont get any bonus from roads or railways.
Yah, I think that is probably enough of a bonus to simulate "home-field advantage".

And to those who want a script language. Civ III is still going to be highly modifiable, but by changing the fundamental rules of Civ III, it's not Civ III anymore. At that point, you're just taking advantage of the engine Firaxis has given you in order to make your own game. Be a programmer, that way you can make a game that suits you perfectly.
Old October 16, 2001, 01:30   #19
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Let's admit it; We hardcore Civ players want each turn to be one day.
Shouldn't we move from turnbased to realtime?
More time to play, if every second would be counted.
Old October 16, 2001, 02:14   #20
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xmudder
As for Civ III, a defensive bonus for operations within your culural area would be good. Didn't SMAC have something like that?
No, not necesarily. Certain improvements, as well as the sensor towers, would impart an 'in border' bonus to defense.
Old October 16, 2001, 02:23   #21
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
Be a programmer, that way you can make a game that suits you perfectly.
Good! Shortly in a nutshell.
Old October 16, 2001, 11:01   #22
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
I don't like the idea of allowing certain civs to be better at attacking or defending in certain climates because there would be too many variables to calculate when going to war. Already, with the introduction of culture, it's going to be difficult to wage war as it is.

Besides, on a historical side, armies usually adapt to climate eventually. Even if an army had an advantage at first, at one point, the other side would overcome climatic obstacles.
Yes, I thought that this terrain thing would make too many variables to calculate when going to war, but two examples of climate stopping invaders: Napoleon against Russia and Hitler against Russia. Both times winter stopped attackers.

Note: I'm not Russian.
Old October 16, 2001, 11:28   #23
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:42
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I got the impression that the people like me who don't like fixed UU's becasue they are nonsensical were the ones more in favour of allowing civilizations to 'grow' their own bonuses depending on where they lived and how they acted. It was the 'keep it simple' and 'Civ is a game, not history sim' camps who were less in favour of this approach.
As far as I understand that is very much the way the resource system is going to make it. Those who live on plains, with horses will build more cavalry type units thus adding to realism and reacting to their placement regardless of their historical origins ( i.e - worldmap iroquois will probably have lots of horsemen.
Old October 16, 2001, 11:31   #24
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:42
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Yes but that can be covered by giving the tundra terrain defense bonuses ala civ 2 and will be added upon now by the prevention of foreign units utilisting domestic transportation networks ( Russias a big place - You attack it in a ww2 scenario and it's going to be a long hard road to moscow. )

Just thought of something - now that they've changed the rues about using other people roads, the importance of paratroopers will be emphisised. Think I'm gonna do that as my next
Old October 16, 2001, 11:33   #25
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:42
I think it would be a good idea to implement such a feature, but question is more how to applicate it.

I guess that firstly, a unit that is on a hostile terrain since a certain time could gain resistance on that kind of field? Or a unit that was made in a city with lots of jungle around could get an advantage in jungle? Temperature (latitude and ese) could also have some effects.

The thing is that to put this idea correctly, NORMALY, it would demand to build a way to make more realistic maps, making less tiles distributed less aleatorily. For exemple, a continent may have more chances of having this or that in the middle, etc, etc. By this way, we wouldn't really consider the tile on which a unit is, but the area in which it is. Now, I guess an area thing like this would demand some theoric modeling before beeing made correctly...
Old October 18, 2001, 09:29   #26
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

But hey, is war that simple after all...?
Old October 18, 2001, 09:49   #27
Dry
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Yes but that can be covered by giving the tundra terrain defense bonuses ala civ 2 and will be added upon now by the prevention of foreign units utilisting domestic transportation networks ( Russias a big place - You attack it in a ww2 scenario and it's going to be a long hard road to moscow. )
I guess this 'long hard road' will be simulated by the fact that culture range is city specific.
Imagine that in a ww2 scen, as German, you take Minsk, then next turn Smolensk. You are at the gates of Moscow, but behind, Minsk and Smolensk cultural ranges are still 0.
Some sneaky soviet partisan manage to cut the railroad...

BTW: what will you build first in a city you've just taken? City walls to help defenders? Temple to extend cultural border?
Old October 18, 2001, 10:34   #28
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Shouldn't we move from turnbased to realtime?
More time to play, if every second would be counted.
No I don't like RTS.
Old October 18, 2001, 10:50   #29
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jusbaummer

Yes, I thought that this terrain thing would make too many variables to calculate when going to war, but two examples of climate stopping invaders: Napoleon against Russia and Hitler against Russia. Both times winter stopped attackers.

Note: I'm not Russian.
Ever had a combat where you knew you were going to win, only to lose- sometimes badly? Bad enough to consider reloading?

There's your 'Russian winter'.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 18, 2001, 12:15   #30
Grumbold
Emperor

I was playing CtP2/Medmod recently and had an army lined up to attack. As soon as I discovered Gunpowder and got the 25 turn feat of wonder advantage I declared war and invaded. The first city fell easily. I hit the end of turn button eager to continue the advance on to the enemy heartland. I had forgotten to adjust the city morale with entertainers. The city rebelled immediately and slaughtered my invincible 12 unit army instantly. I suddenly realised that my last save was in 4000 BC so it was a case of endure or start from scratch