Old October 16, 2001, 18:01   #31
Sandman
King

Local Time: 15:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'll build lots of coastal cities and harbours and dispatch ships to explore the world, making contact with as many civs as possible.

I'll be able to get an expansive trade network going, acting as a middleman , buying wine for ten gold and selling it for fifteen for example.

I'll be the first to find unclaimed continents, and will have a head start colonising them. The Forbidden Palace will come in handy here.

If an enemy civ declares war, then no more luxuries for them!

Actually, I'll probably do nothing like what I've suggested above.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:05   #32
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Despite being a peacefull builder type I think I'll choose Romans for my first game.

Commercial to build on my strengths
Militaristic to cover my weakness (Lack of emphasis on military)

I like the idea of well trained, well equiped, well paid troops anyway. Sending green units off to their deaths just isn't on

And Romans are just damn cool! Could there be a cooler civ?
The AI's I'll play with:
Greeks
Egyptians
French
Germans
Russians

(Largely based on how amusing the leader looks , and when the UU arrives )
Old October 16, 2001, 19:11   #33
squid
Warlord

Local Time: 14:45
I'm playing dead and hiding, hoping they don't notice me.
Old October 16, 2001, 19:53   #34
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:45
Quote:
Originally posted by squid
I'm playing dead and hiding, hoping they don't notice me.
Ahh, though someone would try OCC for their first game
Old October 16, 2001, 20:16   #35
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Ahh, though someone would try OCC for their first game
You gotta be craaaaazy to try OCC on a practically brand new system! Even the veterans couldn't do it I think.

I'm playing Chieftain... normal world, normal # of civs (6 now) as the Babylonians (I'm gonna move up through time, my last civ will be the Americans, then I'll just pick things that fit whatever style I develop)
Old October 16, 2001, 20:30   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Just commenting that 'playing dead and hiding' sounds exactly like the OCC strategy

Im not crazy enough to do it tho. Honest
Ill probably try Prince difficulty with Germans, map settings and number of AIs dependant on what i feel like at the time. Then ill be
Old October 16, 2001, 20:43   #37
lschaef
Settler

My Thoughts
I've always played a more peaceful and isolated game. I tend to be anti-ICS and have won games with just 4 or 5 citys a few times. I think that the new rules in Civ III will help me play my normal style so the first game I'm going to play like I normally do and see how it works. Probably start with Chiefen as the Babylonians.

Early on I'll explore around my starting place and try and build a handful of cities in strategic places and hopefully get some resources and if possible claim the entire continent I'm on. Although, placing cities to get resources will be another change compared to Civ II since you won't see all the resources right from the start.

After that I'll work for large well developed cities with a decent sized military mainly for defense.

In the long term I want to try and win each of the ways posible and work on figuring out which tribe I like to start with...or even if I like playing with specific Civ traits.

I'm also planning to play my first game before reading the manual and then sitting down and reading through it all. I always enjoy reading something and thinking "I didn't notice that", or "oh! That's what that is for!"
Old October 16, 2001, 21:03   #38
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 20:15
Dunno about you guys but I played the sprawling city tactic... never lost when I played that way... Everyone seems to say it won't work on Civ3.... well I'll find out the first game...and I hope I get my ass woped... which will be difficult for any AI I might point out... esp at chieftan...
Old October 16, 2001, 22:32   #39
Skanky Burns

For my game, the plan is to secure my entire continent to myself in the early game, by early middle ages or before. Then ill peacefully build up my cities, sprawl across my continent, and generally rake in the cash/science/resources. Once i get enough technology to build panzers, i will.
Then its time to increase my continent count by 1 After capturing one continent, go onto the next one, and so on... Until the enemy has one city left. Then ill go back into peaceful mode, and finish making each city a super-city.

Win by culture or space
Old October 16, 2001, 22:40   #40
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
For my game, the plan is to secure my entire continent to myself in the early game, by early middle ages or before. Then ill peacefully build up my cities, sprawl across my continent, and generally rake in the cash/science/resources. Once i get enough technology to build panzers, i will.
Then its time to increase my continent count by 1 After capturing one continent, go onto the next one, and so on... Until the enemy has one city left. Then ill go back into peaceful mode, and finish making each city a super-city.

Win by culture or space
Isn't that everyone's plan? Though they may try to win in different ways?
Old October 16, 2001, 23:17   #41
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 09:45
I'll start on the biggest world map (hopefully huge) with all the civs and play as the americans, the rest, i'll play it by turn
Old October 17, 2001, 00:58   #42
korn469
Emperor

my first few games will be military domination provided by a scientific lead and i will play as either the romans or germans until i learn the ropes

after that then i will go for a OCC win with the greek or indians
Old October 17, 2001, 01:01   #43
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Does anyone know how you will be able to conquer the world without getting a Domination victory first?
Old October 17, 2001, 01:12   #44
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
Does anyone know how you will be able to conquer the world without getting a Domination victory first?
2 ways:
1) Disable Domination Victory or
2) Slash and Burn - Destroy cities rather than keeping them
(thereby not increasing the amount of land you control)
Old October 17, 2001, 01:19   #45
korn469
Emperor

Skanky Burns

unless you disable domination victory, then even slash and burn won't work

example:
two player game both sides have 4 cities
one player takes (and destroys) 3 of the other players cities...the first player now owns 80% (4 out of 5) of the map instead of 50% (4 out of 8)
Old October 17, 2001, 02:13   #46
Skanky Burns

Im taking Domination to mean you own 75% (or more) of the landmass, not 75% of the cities. If it depended on cities, then a Conquer Victory would be impossible. From the ]Civ 3 Site
Quote:
The domination victory occurs if you control a majority of the world's land surface within your borders.
As such, Slash and Burn will work
Old October 17, 2001, 02:20   #47
korn469
Emperor

Skanky Burns

hmmm i always interpreted it to mean that your civ controls a majority of the total claimed landmass, and not the total landmass of the entire planet

from that quote it seems if you you controlled 75% of the landmass inside of borders on the map then you would win the game through domination, not that you would need 75% of the total landmass

not sure though
Old October 17, 2001, 02:21   #48
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

Isn't that everyone's plan? Though they may try to win in different ways?
Well, I might try to conquer the world by
crushing all other civs, but it wont probably
work when it doesn't work in Civ II.
Old October 17, 2001, 02:32   #49
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I believe that you need 75% of the total landmass within your borders.

How I'll play my first game is just toying around with all cool stuff.
Old October 17, 2001, 03:57   #50
Be Quicker
Warlord

Local Time: 15:45
regarding winning by domination and that this means 75% or 66.7% of the landmass: are the polar continents back, or not? because otherwise these would provide a huge unused landmass.
Old October 17, 2001, 04:14   #51
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:45
It's also worth noting that the first time I get into the modern age I'll build a heap of nukes, save the game, then launch the nukes...
(Then reload )
Old October 17, 2001, 07:06   #52
Dry
Prince

I'll try a mixed cultural/expansionist strategy.

This means build 2 cities as fast as possible and while the capital is going to be a cultural center (first improvement: temple), the second city will be center of expansion (first improvement: granary).
Then go on with a specialized cities (culture, WoW, military,... centers) strategy.

I'll probably chose an industrial Civ.
Old October 17, 2001, 17:54   #53
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

I guess it would work if they mean 3/4 or 2/3 of all the landmass. Though polar caps would be a bit silly...

Oh yah, definetly gotta try out nukes, especially when I don't know the rules! (hopefully I can end the world!)
Old October 17, 2001, 18:34   #54
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mannamagnus
Next I'll take her to bed for some serious horizontal dancing which should make her fall asleep.
How serious can it be if she falls asleep?

Is this you?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old October 17, 2001, 20:32   #55
Skanky Burns

LOL Theban

Regarding domination victory, the Civ 3 site said that the actual values were not 'set in stone' yet, and would be playtested to determine a good value... so it probably wouldnt include large unusable tracts of ice-land at the poles in its calculations.
Old October 18, 2001, 14:57   #56
Pseud0nym
Chieftain

Meself, I'm gonna try going it with just one city. Yep, unless I get another one from a goody hut, I'm just going to build up one one city, and boy am I going to try to make it huge. I figure if I concentrate on a few garrison units and the rest all cultural enhancements, I can get up to radius three or four fairly quickly, and that takes up a good bit of room. Other civilizations may treat me nicely cause I'm not expanding in their direction, and I may just become a cultural leader. Only problem I see may be population limits, but I can just make a bunch of workers and trade them to other civs.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:10   #57
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I think I'll play the first game on Chieftain level with the instant advice on. I just want to see what kind of advice Firaxis gives.

I might try for a cultural or militaristic victory in my second game on Warlord level when I know what's going on. From Walord, I'll probably go up to Prince or maybe just jump straight to Deity which is where I always play Civ2 and Civilization.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:16   #58
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pseud0nym
Meself, I'm gonna try going it with just one city. Yep, unless I get another one from a goody hut, I'm just going to build up one one city, and boy am I going to try to make it huge. I figure if I concentrate on a few garrison units and the rest all cultural enhancements, I can get up to radius three or four fairly quickly, and that takes up a good bit of room. Other civilizations may treat me nicely cause I'm not expanding in their direction, and I may just become a cultural leader. Only problem I see may be population limits, but I can just make a bunch of workers and trade them to other civs.
I applaud you for trying but since we really don't know any specfics about the game, I think you're gonna be in a for heap of trouble. But good luck anyway
Old October 18, 2001, 15:19   #59
Gryphon
Settler

I am planning on playing a game with a small civ not too expansionist with an army capable of defending my cities well and try to survive to the end so i get a good feel for all aspects of the game.
Old October 18, 2001, 19:57   #60
Skanky Burns

Wow, i salute you, Pseud0nym!! OCC on your first game!!
One other thing i want to try is to have a nuclear war sometime in the end-game (only after saving, of course ) and see what sort of effect nukes have

And then load, so i dont have a radioactive empire