Old October 16, 2001, 09:39   #1
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mining Hills and Mountains?
Can we still mine hills and mountains for extra resources? The screenshots I've seen don't show this.
Old October 16, 2001, 09:43   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:45
I would imagine the answer would be - yes.
Old October 16, 2001, 09:45   #3
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Ya... but I need proof!
Old October 16, 2001, 09:46   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Don't we all!
Old October 16, 2001, 09:50   #5
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:45
Check some screenshots and you'll see mines on hills and mountains. Enough proof to you?
Old October 16, 2001, 10:30   #6
Slax
Prince

Unfortunately, you can also mine grassland.
Old October 16, 2001, 10:35   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
Unfortunately, you can also mine grassland.
Truely. Quite frankly, I've never really understood why one would do that!

(Even though the AI constantly did it in past Civ games...)
Old October 16, 2001, 10:47   #8
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:45
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Actually it does kind of make sense. If you are in the middle of a grassy area with no plains mountains or anything else then you'll want to get your resources from somewhere ( yes I know they did the whole 'grassland - shield' thing which personally made no sense to me. Just call it 'grassland - rocks' or something. )
Old October 16, 2001, 12:29   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:45
Well yeah, I have seen screenshots where mining hills and mountains can be quite clearly seen. Although I think that a mined mountain should generate more shields than a mined hill though...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 16, 2001, 12:33   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Well yeah, I have seen screenshots where mining hills and mountains can be quite clearly seen. Although I think that a mined mountain should generate more shields than a mined hill though...
I too never understood why you can get more production out of a mined hill than you could from a mined mountain...I would think it would have been reversed!
Old October 16, 2001, 12:37   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

Ease of extraction and transport I would guess.
Old October 16, 2001, 12:41   #12
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

But they should give some reason to use them, otherwise everyone will just terraform them to hills to get more minerals and a bit of food as well! The difficulty of access and working should make the turns to terraform longer (as is the case) but the rewards higher. Firaxis, any comment?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 16, 2001, 12:46   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well, there is one reason for mountians in Civ3 = a further Line of Sight (LOS) for any unit stationed on top of the mountain.

But I still think that shield production should be increased more when there is a mine present.
Old October 16, 2001, 12:57   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

I guess they could, but in CtP I was always transforming hills to mountains because it was more efficient the other way round there.

That improved sight range really cracks me up. Being miles up a mountain would be worse for scouting the surroundings than any hilltop a bit higher than the surrounding ground. What are you doing, clinging to the snow capped pinnacle so you can see in all directions?
Old October 16, 2001, 17:50   #15
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I guess they could, but in CtP I was always transforming hills to mountains because it was more efficient the other way round there.

That improved sight range really cracks me up. Being miles up a mountain would be worse for scouting the surroundings than any hilltop a bit higher than the surrounding ground. What are you doing, clinging to the snow capped pinnacle so you can see in all directions?
When I was in Boy Scouts we would frequently hike up mountains. On small mountains when I wasn't even at the peak, I could see for miles and miles. If their were military units, hills, or desert below me, I would have definetely seen them. Trust me, LOS is greatly improved by high ground.

And you should be able to mine anything. The difference between hills and grassland is that what would be under ground on a grassland is instead above ground.

Also, it's easier to get into hills than mountains, that's the reason for more shields in a hill. Though if you spent more time on a mountain... you should get more production I would think.
Old October 16, 2001, 18:18   #16
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
I always though terraforming got out of hand in civ-style games...
Old October 16, 2001, 19:07   #17
Civ Dave
Chieftain

I agree Templar.

I once terraformed all of the Middle East in CivII, just so when I took over, I could have better food production

or build a wall of mountains with fortresses around my land so that anyone trying to get in would have a heck of a hard time

nice little engineers