Old October 16, 2001, 16:39   #1
Barshy
Warlord

Local Time: 14:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How man "religious" buildings are there?
Having the "Religious" characteristic allows you to build religious buildings at reduced cost--

What buildings are considered "religious"?

Now, I haven't played Civ 2 literally in over 3 or so years (collective gasp) so my memory is a bit rusty here... Here is all I can think of:

Temple
Cathedral

Does this include wonders? I'm going to assume it does, and I know that each Civ3 wonder now has distinctions given to them, so if 1/6 of all the wonders are "religious" then that means approx. 5-6 wonders will be religious (2 Great Wonders, 3-4 small wonders).

I guess that is a significant benefit, but am I missing other improvements? Do you think it includes any improvement that makes unhappy people content, or do you think it includes any culture-producing improvement (probably not, otherwise it'd be too powerful).
Old October 16, 2001, 16:45   #2
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:46
We really haven't heard anything much on new improvements. Though there have been screenshots for temples and cathedrals. I hope Civ III has more improvements but I don't want anything like CTP...

What I want is a more advanced religion system so that you actually choose a type of religion, it's values, monotheistic or polytheistic, that sort of thing. But I know Civ III doesn't have that. Maybe Civ IV.

With the new nationality aspect, I think it would be cool that new citizens in conquered cities would not be happy if the temple there was built before the conquering (because it's not their god). That way you would either sell the old temple (YOUR RELIGION SUCKS) and build your own (YOU WILL WORSHIP OUR GODS) or maybe have two temples, though obviously at increased maintainence cost.
Old October 16, 2001, 16:48   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:46
I would have to say that "religious buildings" include:

1. Temple
2. Cathedral
3. Most likely an additional (currently known) religious building

IMO, the big plus of having a Religious Civilization is the effect of #2: No Anarchy Between Governments - It's like having the Statue of Liberty from the beginning of the game!
Old October 16, 2001, 16:52   #4
jadlakha
Warlord

Where did you all get this information from? I wanna know. Ive never heard any of this before.
Old October 16, 2001, 16:55   #5
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
The cistine chapel will undoubtedly be classed a religious wonder ( i.e can count toward your golden age ) but I wonder ( no pun intended ) if it will count as a religious BUILDING in the sense of reduced building costs. Same goes for SETI if it's still in ( which it's not, but you know what i mean - a science wonder )
Old October 16, 2001, 16:56   #6
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
IMO, the big plus of having a Religious Civilization is the effect of #2: No Anarchy Between Governments - It's like having the Statue of Liberty from the beginning of the game!
Though hopefully that's not what the Statue of Liberty will do anymore But yah, that's a great advantage for the religious players. The church holds the country together in times of trouble, neat!

And Jad, all this stuff can be found at www.civ3.com

GO THERE
Old October 16, 2001, 17:01   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:46
Civ-Specifics
Quote:
Originally posted by jadlakha
Where did you all get this information from? I wanna know. Ive never heard any of this before.
Go to the Civ3.com site and click on the "Developer Update" button (left-hand side of the screen - below the Downloads section). Then look for the drop-down window called "Previous Updates." Select "Civ-Specifics. This will lead you to the Civ Specifics Abilities. Then just click on the "Civ-Specific Abilities Table" and viola!
Old October 16, 2001, 17:02   #8
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:46
Well I would expect in terms of city improvements, there is just the temple and cathedral, although I wonder whether, for the intents of gameplay, whether the colosseum is classed as a religious building?

Also, I wonder if this bonus will extend to the construction of minor wonders that are religious in nature...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 16, 2001, 17:13   #9
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 08:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
i bet that that religous civs will switch governments at the drop of a hat for war.

just like the ai with pyramids/statue of liberty did
Old October 16, 2001, 17:51   #10
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:46
How about a Templar Knights unit?

Quote:
We really haven't heard anything much on new improvements. Though there have been screenshots for temples and cathedrals. I hope Civ III has more improvements but I don't want anything like CTP...
CTP got very cluttered indeed.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:24   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If it encompasses all the buildings that make your citizens happy, then the colosseum would also be a 'religious' building.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:28   #12
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
If it encompasses all the buildings that make your citizens happy, then the colosseum would also be a 'religious' building.
Most religions don't advocate mass bloodshed and violence (expcet during the crusades (and when crazy people get access to money...))
Old October 16, 2001, 22:36   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, the Romans used the Colosseum to feed religious people to lions...
Old October 16, 2001, 22:37   #14
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Well, the Romans used the Colosseum to feed religious people to lions...
I think you just proved my point