Old October 16, 2001, 18:26   #1
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 14:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tales of RP2
Here is the thread for the events of RP2.
Old October 17, 2001, 00:35   #2
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 09:47
I tried to make myself as inconspicuous as possible among the shadows of the docking bay. I was not sure why I was even invited to this meeting. There were six others here, all very famous researchers, but the center of attention was Provost Zakharov himself. Before today, I didn't even know that the Provost was aware of my existence.

The meeting had been going for some time, discussing topics like food, water, exploration, base construction and research agendas. I must admit that I was starting to lose track of the topics as my mind wandered and focused on the faces of those assembled here. These were the top researchers of our little faction, known among us as University of Planet. Again, I couldn't help but wonder what I was doing among this auspicious group. I tried to slink even further into the background. There were cuts, bruises and bandages all around, sustained from the violent landing on the planet surface, but we had fortunately lost no lives in the landing.

My mind wandered to an idea I had percolating in the back of my mind when I was suddenly jerked back to full attention. Had someone said my name?

"Qantaga, can you come up here for a moment please?"

It was Provost Zakharov, summoning me. I slowly made my way among the cartons and boxes stored here and my knees knocked a little as I approached the great man.

"Uh, yes sir?"

"Qantaga, I'm sure you know these men and women. I don't think they all know you yet, so a little introduction may be in order. My friends, you are the ones I have charged to run our all-important laboratories. You will have total control over these labs subject only to my final approval. I will be meeting with our Scientists, our Engineers, our Technicians, our Librarians and all our important support staff in the next few days, but you are our best and brightest. You are the hope for our survival on this new planet as you discover the ways we can interact with it.

You may not have had the opportunity to meet Qantaga before, but I asked him to join us today because I have a special role for him. Some of Qantaga's ideas have come to my attention in the past."

(This was quite a surprise to me)

"Qantaga's ideas are rather, how shall I say, "offbeat". However, they are not without some merit and, I believe, to survive in this new world, we must think much differently than we did back on Earth. For that reason, I will ask Qantaga to serve as my personal secretary, recording the major events of our people as we begin to settle this new world. In that capacity, he will remain close to me and be able to share some of his more "unconventional" ideas with me, which may prove to be a help to us as we encounter new, wondrous and dangerous new things as a people.

"Thank you for coming today. My door is always open and you will have everything you need to advance the pure knowledge of our new home. Our scientists have confirmed that the air is at acceptable levels for us to breathe. Tomorrow, we open the doors of the landing pod for the first time and encounter our new environment. I wish you all well."

-------
It has now been several weeks since that first meeting. I am still stunned to be this close to the seat of power in our faction, but I am finally ready to submit my first official report.

Report from the Office of the Provost - Mission Year 2102

When the doors of our landing pod swung open, we were all awestruck for several moments. This new world is more glorious than we ever imagined. There are lush lands on the horizon. There are strange new fruits and vegetables that are not only edible, but quite tasty. There is a river sparkling in the distance and our remote Scout Patrol reports that its water is crystal clear and delicious.

There is also some very strange, reddish fungus visible on the horizon that is like nothing we have ever seen before, so we will have to approach it with caution.

Our first Colony Pods have been supplied and filled with our people. They have set out to try to find suitable sites to establish our first cities. We have found no good locations yet, but we think it will only be a year or two before we have our first settlements in place.

Provost Zakharov has sent his best researchers out with these Colony Pods with explicit instructions that they are to follow a strict technology agenda of Discovery.

He and I are riding in the Pod that will eventually become a city known as University Base.

I hope that Planetfall has blessed the other factions from the Unity with a safe landing and with fertile lands on which to grow. I also pray that we may one day overcome our differences and make this a peaceful planet with a better future than the past that befell us back on Earth.

Respectfully submitted,
Academician Qantaga

(My, doesn't that sound like a fancy title. Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it someday).
Old October 17, 2001, 18:35   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 07:47
Eleven people silently filed into the boardroom. The boardroom looked like a boardroom on earth would look like. Well. Provided that the interior decorator was on acid.

To begin with, the panelled walls, the table and chairs were all made out of rainbow wood. It would be an exaggeration to say that the wood's grain contained all colours of the rainbow, but yellows, greens, blues and purples were all evident. Morganic researchers found Planet's "trees" sadly lacking in commercial possibilities. Many were impregnated with nitroglycerin, such as the infamous gun cotton tree. Other trees harboured spores of one type or another that were toxic to humans. So for now, they were stuck with the safe, but garish, rainbow wood.

The leather padding on the boardroom chairs was made out of fungalbeast hide. The fungalbeast was one of the rare animals of Planet that used the fungal wastes as habitat. It looked a bit like a pig, but was cold-blooded, and perhaps more closely analogous to a large lizard. Its mottled pink and red hide which had provided it with camouflage in the wild, looked sadly out of place as chair coverings.

A vase on the boardroom table had three large flowers called bog bullseyes artfully arranged in it. The not-quite petals were organized in concentric circles, alternating white and yellow with a black centre. The bog bullseyes were dependent on the razorbeak for pollination. As the razorbeaks were not too bright, the bog bullseyes could not afford to be subtle.

The boardroom carpet had not yet been installed, so the sparkle slate flooring was still exposed.

Eight of the eleven people who entered the room were almost identical. They each wore three-piece blue pin-striped suits with maroon ties, white shirts and fungalbeast hide shoes. They each had short graying hair and they all carried identical fungalbeast hide attache cases. Three of the eight were women.

Morgan himself was dressed somewhat more flamboyantly than the suits. As well, there was a woman with a flower print dress and a man dressed in a slightly rumpled blue suit with several pens in the pockets. His tie was blue.

"Let's get right down to business," said Morgan after they all sat down, "we need a successful paradigm to manage the people and processes of Morgan Industries going forward. We must first make a determination of essential elements to be managed. Let's do some brainstorming. What is essential to our survival?"

"Air!", said Suit #1 thinking of the horrible fate that had befallen a volunteer who had tested Planet's untreated and unfiltered air. Spores in the air had lodged in the volunteer's sinus and lungs where they happily grew resulting in his death within a couple of days.

"Sleep?" said Rumpled Suit.

"Money", said Suit #2 confidently.

"Computer games with less bugs?" asked Suit #3.

"No, no, no." said Morgan with exasperation, "Do I have to draw you a picture?" Morgan began drawing a picture which was projected onto a large screen.

"Balls!" yelled out Suit #1.
"Green balls" amended Suit #4
Suit #5 snapped his fingers, putting it all together, "green balls are essential for our survival on planet!"

Morgan rolled his eyes and began fiddling with the projector so that the image was larger.

"Why would apples be essential?" asked Flower Print.

"Apples are a metaphor for nutrients" said Morgan with exasperation, "we all need nutrients to survive. Now here is the next one. I think you will have less trouble with it."

"Explosions?" guessed Suit #1.

"Lights?" guessed Suit #6.

"Close,"said Morgan to Suit #6. "I use this image to represent energy. Without energy we could not afford treated air, for example. This is an essential resource. As well, there is this. NO! Don't guess. I use this symbol of a cut diamond to represent all necessary minerals and other raw materials. So our management focus will be on these three essentials. I call it NEM management."

"Aren't you forgetting something?", asked Flower Print, "What about the people?"

"Good point" Morgan conceded.

"People must always come first and foremost", Morgan said as an afterthought.
Old October 17, 2001, 19:11   #4
Hydro
King

Gaia's Landing
MY 2103

Deirdre was too tired to cry. What was one more hardship, one more disaster, compared with the suffering of the last few years? It had been a hard landing, and a struggle just to survive in the first days and week. But, somehow, she thought it would get better. That it had to get better. The trouble was, it hadn't. The land around her was singularly unforgiving, and it provided only the most merger of resources, and then only with seemingly endless toil. It would be different if all the hard work, planning, and sacrifice built something. But it hadn't. All the effort, all the sweat, and they seemed to only lose ground. At first there was the promise of what was over the next rise. They had found, to their everlasting dismay, that over the rolling hills there was only more bleak landscapes, with no promise of change, at least not change for the better. Outside the wind howled, tearing at their tenuous shelters. The sun seemed to beat down on the foragers, trying to make them submit and give up. The sea was a familiar blue, but it, too, seemed unseeingly hostile. Chiron was their last chance, even humanity's last chance, and it seemed to be out to defeat them through malevolent neglect. And tomorrow only promised more of the same.

She knew she had to be strong and put on a brave front for the others. Dee ran her fingers through her sweat soaked hair, and brushed some of the dust and caked dirt off her jumper. She stood up, put on her breather, and left her lean-to. Outside many members of the colony were waiting, gathered around a small, well-crafted box. Today she would put that box in the soil of Chiron, and with it many of her hopes and dreams.

Deirdre accepted the well-intentioned touches, and heartfelt murmurs of condolence. Dee accepted them all with a strained smile as they took the path that was too well traveled. A strong arm wrapped itself around her shoulder, and without thinking she leaned inward just a little to accept the muted strength. She knew she would need it. Today she would bury her little girl.
Old October 22, 2001, 17:01   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:47
Advisor flubber had been delighted and honoured that the chairman had deigned to preside over his wedding ceremony. The guests had basked in the power that resonated from the chairman and his serenity was an example to all. However, that was yesterday . . . today the chairman was reentering his capital-- crouching as he entered into the labrinyth of tunnels that made up his administration centre. The chairman strode into the central cavern where his people awaited him.

"My people

We have begun to prosper undr central control for the good of all of us. Just last night , our wealth became sufficient that we were able to implement far reaching police controls. These measure will insure that wild elements do not riot and will also allow us to support a greater military. There will be absolutely NO adverse effects relating to this change.

Now, we have begun to explore the nearby lands. Others might consider it harsh and unforgiving but we are a hardy people and I see opportunity. By leaving aside our petty personal wants we can better focus our energies on what our society needs. Betterment of the collective results in the most benefits for all"

The chairman strode into his office and began to work. He picked up his latest Order of Procreation which mandated that all females ages 16-25 report for impregnation. The scientists had selected a few dozen of the strongest, most attractive and most intelligent males in an attempt to improve the gene pool. While the program had been initially set up as a labratory procedure, the chairman was aware that about 70% of the females now chose the traditional, personal method in the interests of "conserving labratory resources". Many of them insisted on multiple "procedures". Morale among the chosen males had also risen dramatically and the science department was inundated with requests to join the program.

The next document was the list of patients euthanized during the previous week. It was not a wise use of resources to medicate or hospitalize those that had little chance of recovery. The bodies were recycled into their base elements and reused.

The chairman flipped to the police report. as usual there was little to report-- another night with a content populace. He reflected," why do not the others see that democracy is the root iof anarchy. The attempt to balance competing personal interests always results in disputes and controversy. One overriding interest is the way to go"
Old November 1, 2001, 20:16   #6
Hydro
King

Outside Gaia's Landing, MY 2110

"Things are getting better, Emily," Dee said as she spread a soil-acidifying additive at the base of the white pine sapling. "Our terraformers are out now, and they are busy coaxing every little bit out of Planet. We've started roads between our three bases, and have begun a couple of farmland plots so that we won't be on the edge of starvation anymore. Later we'll start a few forests, although I hope you will not have any more company. There are too many white pines here already."

She leaned back and forth while on her knees, working the additive into the loamy soil that was rich with pine needles. It felt moist and cool to her hands, and the needles added a prickly sensation as she kneaded the soil. She could even feel some the fine near-surface root fibers, which would quickly re-establish themselves after the disturbance and then make good use of the nutrients. When she was satisfied she smoothed the soil with a waving, back and forth motion, working the needles and additives further into the dark iron red earth.

Dee stood up and wiped the granular material from her gloves as she surveyed the semi-orderly rows of white pines. Most of the trees were small, little more than waist high, although some were almost 6 meters tall now. The trees nearest to the path were the tallest, and the trees got progressively smaller away from Gaia's Landing. Some trees had simple mementos of faded ribbons, holopictures, or weathered wooden toys at their base. All of the trees were lovingly tended, and there were informal pathways in and among the trees.

Then Dee realized that it was quiet, which was very unusual indeed. All she heard was the barest rustling of the pine boughs. To her that was strangely alarming, and she looked around, looking low for movement and listening for sound.

She started when she heard a high pitched voice from directly behind her. "Mommy, does Emily talk back to you?"

Dee turned around, and there was Scott. He had been standing in back of her all this time without saying a word. He could be quiet when he wanted to, which wasn't very often. She looked him over and he wasn't very dirty, either, which was also unusual.

"No, Scotty, she doesn't. I can feel her, though. She is with me all the time."

Scotty thought about that for a moment. "Can you feel me? All the time?"

Dee smiled. "Of course I can feel you!" she said as she swooped down and buried him in a hug, tickling him a little. He squirmed for a moment, and his laughter was interrupted by small shrieks of delight.

Finally Dee stopped, gave him a quick kiss on the top of his head, and took his hand. "Time to go home. Are you done playing?"

"Uh, huh. Can I say goodbye to Emily?"

"Sure you can," Dee responded, still grinning.

"Bye Emily!" he shouted, while using his free hand to wave vigorously at the tree.

With that Scotty turned around and started dragging Dee down the path.

"I'm hungry," he announced after they had walked a whole 10 meters.

"We'll have dinner when we get home. It's not far."

"I'm hungry now!" he warned.

"In know. You'll just have to wait."

"I want a ginger cookie."

Dee sighed. Were all four-year-olds so assertive? "After dinner, sweetie." Still, she loved him, demands and all.
Old January 10, 2002, 19:26   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

^
Old January 19, 2002, 23:14   #8
H0bbes
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Damn, damn, damn, DAMN! Things had not gone well with the latest venture under project "Investigate." The entry team had entered the pod with the usual caution but some malfunction in an unknown mechanism had resulted in some sort of seismic event.
Damn. The project had been going so well- why only last week a pod had yielded a Unity Foil- priceless for reconnoissance. The foils first voyage was interrupted by some sort of native marine life, and discretion being the better part of valour, the crew had navigated into a narrow inlet near where the team from project "Investigate" were undertaking their latest mission.
Damn, damn! The resultant seismic event turned the inlet into a lagoon, all access to the sea being lost & the priceless foil fit now only for scrap. This was not going to be easy to explain to Colonel Hobbes!
Damn, damn, damn, damn..........

http://zanature.wordpress.com
Old January 21, 2002, 08:34   #9
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

New Jerusalem, MY2128

Sister Miriam rose from her knees and ran her fingers through the short fringe of hair that framed her forehead. Gone was that unruly lock that had kept slipping over her left eye, distracting both herself and her audiences. At times like these, after prayer, she felt … comforted … in the telling – not quite a confessional, more like a … sharing. She knew God would understand and approve. She just hoped her Council of Ministers would

She walked through to the small Council room, where the twelve were assembled – her cabinet – indeed, her whole government for the time being.

They rose as she entered, a dainty, diminutive figure – not quite matronly. Too slim for that, she thought ruefully – ‘skin and bones’ Brother Patrick was wont to tell her … ‘we must find a meat source, or equivalent,’ he often said these days. ‘We are becoming a wan nation of vegetarians – and Man was destined to rule over the animals, and draw sustenance from them.’

She smiled at the memory, and the Council relaxed somewhat.

Sister Jessica shot a sidelong glance at Brother Googlie, as if to say “So what’s all the fuss about?” He’d known more than he could say, in advance of the meeting, and all he would say, when the news of the hasty, unplanned Council Meeting had been disseminated, had been “Aye, it’s a bit grim, Lass” How grim could it be if Sister Miriam was smiling?

She looked over at her leader, just now taking her seat at the head of the table. Diminutive – about 5’5”, 125 lbs, she didn’t command by her stature – rather her presence. The most distinctive feature, after her fiery red hair, was her voice. She was an orator par excellence, raised in the old evangelical tradition of Earth preachers. And with her intimate knowledge of social psychology, she could work a crowd like no other person Jessica knew,

“Be seated,” she said to the Ministers.

“Today is an historic day for our small faction.”

They looked at her expectantly – all, Jessica noted, except Brother Googlie, who fidgeted nervously with his fingers and wouldn’t look up to meet Miriam’s eyes.

“We have made contact with other survivors of the Unity”

There was a buzz of excitement around the table, as the implications sank in – opportunities for trade and commerce, for technology sharing, for proselytizing, even. Brother Joaquim positively beamed with radiance – finally he might get to activate his nascent broadcasting channel if there were an audience to receive the Lord’s message.

“I ordered them eliminated”

Consternation appeared on the faces of the assembled Ministers, and a buzz of conversation ran round the room.

Sister Miriam looked over at Brother Googlie, and said:

“Brother Googlie will fill you in on the details, then the matter is open for discussion and planning.”

Brother Googlie slowly rose, the anguish palpable in his bearing.

“It was MacPherson’s patrol,” he began. “If you remember the last briefing his unit was following yon river to the southwest. Well, they emerged from a fungus patch and right acroos the river they were. They identified themselves as followers of the mad scientist, Zakharov.

“They gave a commlink sequence to MacPherson, who relayed it to the Sister here. I was with her in the office when it came in – it was the Provost himself, suggesting a Truce or some such thing. Och, he was brazen enough to refer to “our past differences” as he spoke to Sister and prattled on about “co-existing in peace for the time being”

“And we know what that means – until his unholy science experiments bear fruit and he can enslave us all..

“Sister Miriam cut him off,” and here Brother Googlie glanced over at his leader, “and told him that we cannot allow the mistakes and errors of earth – she called them ‘sins’ – to be repeated here.

“I gave the order to MacPherson – ‘eliminate the University patrol’. He did”

Brother Googlie sat down, and Sister Miriam let her gaze rove round the Council Ministers.

“We are now in Vendetta against the renegade scientists calling themselves, arrogantly, the University of Planet.”
Old January 21, 2002, 13:40   #10
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The chairman sat , eyes closed upon the floor of his chambers. His expression was one of serenity and calm that betrayed nothing of the thoughts racing through his consciousness.

An aide entered and without opening his eyes or turning the chairman whispered "speak".

The aide stammered "S-s-sorry to disturb . .. but the comm has picked up something . . . its just snatches and fragments but it seems that the Believers are on Planet and so is that Zak fellow and best we can make out, they have met and are at war. The military command are wondering if you want to meet with them and the factory supervisors wonder if we should go to military production if there are warlike parties about. They all hope for an audience with you in 2 hours"

The chairman shifted his head slightly in what the aide knew to be a gesture of assent. The aide bowed and quietly withdrew to make preparations.

Yang's disposition remained unchanged yet the theme of his thoughts had changed. ZAK !!! . . . Yang knew Zak and recalled his personal disposition toward democracy, that most insidious and ineffective of governments. However, he remembered Zak as a true academic, willing to consider all alternative viewpoints. "I must convince him of the power and value of state control for democracy would destroy us all"

Yang had felt some convergence with the viewpoints espoused by the Believers. The people were willing to sacrifice themselves for a cause which resonated with Yang's statist beliefs. But Yang was a student of history and knew that religion had been used many times to turn people against the state." I must ensure that there is no power other than the state. To allow religion would be to court disaster as any person that serves some faith is by definition failing in their duty to exert ALL their energies for the common good", he mused. "I can co-exist with their fundamentalist ways if they do not try to convert my population. Anything is better than democracy

Yang continued to sit and reflect, wondering if other groups had successfully landed on Planet and what challenges they might pose. For the entire period, he remained motionless and silent . Suddnely, he arose and went to face the council. Although Yang had referred to no timepiece and received no reminder, it was precisely the appointed meeting time.

Yang entered the chamber, bringing immediate reverent silence to those within. Yang seated himself and turned his attention to his most trusted advisors. With a single nod, Yang indicated the meeting was to commence and sat impassively as the the ministers reported before him. Each of the eight ministers spoke for precisely five minutes, providing a concise update of recent events and recommendations for future action.

The chairman finally spoke at the end of forty minutes. " All recommendations are approved with the exception of numbers 23, 47 and 53(1)(c). Refer those to the colonization commitee.

In addition, the following shall be edicts of the state

1. All children shall enter state school at 24 months of age.
2. All females aged 16-24 with health status 4a or above shall report to fertilization centres for impregnation.
3. All persons of health status 14b or below shall report to the recyling tanks for termination"

The chairman rose and returned to his private chamber, seated himself on the floor and continued his meditation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old January 22, 2002, 01:06   #11
Flubber
Deity

Advisor flubber considered the research reports and grimaced. The research was proceeding slowly and while the scientists could not tell exactly what might be discovered, there were estimates of a 63% probability of obtaining social psychology.
"What a useless advance" snarled flubber-- Our people are already content from the adequate police measures we have implemented to keep them safe. Luxuries such as a recreation commons are just wasteful but perhaps we can sell this idea to some of those materialists we met on the Unity. Those democracy folks are always willing to spend for yet another creature comfort "

The advisor considered whether to disturb the Chairman but determined that it could wait for another day. He turned his mind from work and thought of the busty young lady awaiting him in his bedchamber. She was a young idealogue that spouted every nationalist slogan and whose reverence and adoration for Yang was such that , persons with the ear of the Chairman impressed her mightily. Flubber found her enchanting and knew that, if he tired of her companionship, he could pull a few strings and have her placed in an outlying village. It was a pattern that Flubber had repeated three times in the past six years.

Flubber knew that Yang always adopted an air of ignorance regarding personal relationships but little escaped his attention. "He never says anything but I know he approves of my breaking relationships before they get too serious. After all, loyalty to the state must supersede any personal loyalties or affections".

While promiscuity was not required, NOTHING appeared in any part of Hive televids, literature or schooling that promoted long-term relationships. The concepts of marriage and family had become antiquated concepts largely unknown to the Hive youth. Some longer liasons did occur but the regular rotation of the population through various postings often separated such couples for years at a time.

Flubber recalled that at age 25 he had become very attached to one young woman and they planned to stay together. He declared it to his supervisor. Less than a week later flubber found himself temporarily reassigned and working in the offices at a women's college. Comm communication with his beloved was difficult and Flubber discovered that women outnumbered men in his community by over 10 to 1. Before long, Flubber had forgotten all about his " beloved". Though a bright young man, Flubber never understood at the time that the unfortunate circumstances that seperated them was actually part of a state policy, though unwritten and unstated, designed to keep personal attachments to a minimum.

Flubber understood the policy now (although no one had ever spoken of it, it was understood) , and after his years of indoctrination, considered it to be right. "After all, we work for the collective good and should not disproportionately value a single individual."

Flubber broke from his daydream on Hive policy and once again anticipated a pleasant evening.
Old January 22, 2002, 23:41   #12
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 09:47
I rapped on the door, but there was no answer. I had been summoned to Zakharov's private quarters, so I knew he was there. After another moment, I lightly pushed open the door and saw him sitting at his desk, shaking his head slowly from side to side as he looked at a report in his hands.

He was muttering something to himself as I stepped across the room. To me, it sounded as if his words were, "Will history teach us nothing?"

"Sir?"

As he looked up, I was so stunned that I had to take a step back. His face was drained of all color and his eyes were wide in shocked surprise.

"She executed them!"

"Sir?" I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Miriam! She executed them."

"I'm sorry sir, but I am not sure what you mean."

"Our scout patrol, you know the one with Sawyer and Jesperson and all those other lab assistants out looking for new lifeforms in the fungus. They came across a patrol. They were overjoyed to see new people after all these years. They hailed them and asked after their well being. The members of the Believer's patrol unit were kindly as well. We found out they had followed Miriam in her pod as the Unity blew. Our patrol radioed me and I sent along a message of cautious optimism that we could at least coexist on this new planet.

"Then, as our scouts were packing up to head back home, they were summarily shot down in the dirt. Without so much as a warning, they were gunned down. Their blood now stains the soil .

"We intercepted the transcript of a radio message. Miriam ordered them executed. I just can't believe it. I always suspected that she was on the razor's edge of sanity. It appears as if she has gone completely over into madness.

"The god she serves is a cruel and wicked one. It cannot possibly be the True God, the creator of heaven and earth. Perhaps I should prepare a watchvid of the Reverand Martin Luther King, Jr. or Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Or maybe I should make sure she gets a copy of the New Testament."

His words begin to recede and I felt a little dizzy. Sawyer? Did he say Sawyer? Phil Sawyer was a nice guy. I had just seen him a couple of months ago as the expedition left in search of information about this strange new planet.

"Qantaga? Hey, Qantaga, are you all right?"

"Oh, yes, Provost, I'm fine...uh...fine."

Zakharov dropped the report on his desk and stood up. He visibly composed himself and said, "OK, here's your assignment."

He picked up a large carrying case from the desk and handed it to me. "In here," he said, "you will find all of our current research data. Of course, it is all geared towards discovery of this planet. You will find mostly benign and helpful technologies geared to the betterment of our citizens. Your job is to find a way for us to use these techs to defend our people against that madwoman and her mindless followers."

"Um, Provost, may I make a suggestion?"

"Yes, Q, what is it?"

"Sir, we have some of the best minds on Planet right here working in our labs. Shouldn't we direct them to harness their efforts towards technologies geared for conquest?"

"No, Q, not in a million years. Our directives will remain unchanged. We shall not allow Miriam to dictate the work of our scientists. Tell the researchers that the priorities are unchanged. We will direct our efforts to discovery, and discovery alone. It is up to you to mold those discoveries to defend our nation. You have all the resources of this office at your beck and call. If you cannot figure out a way to defend us, then may God have mercy on us all."

The burden laid heavily upon my shoulders, but I was determined not to let our people down. I turned, this time with the case seeming to weigh a thousand pounds, and made my way out of Zakharov's office.

"Q", he called after me, "Hurry, for all our sakes!"

Last edited by Qantaga; January 24, 2002 at 13:23.
Old March 8, 2002, 15:23   #13
Hydro
King

Gaia’s Landing, MY 2140

The party was loud, and growing louder. At least three strains of music were pulsing through the air, each one with its own beat and style. Strangely, the beats seemed to merge once in a while, forming a coherent if chaotic whole. Then, a moment later, they would diverge, catastrophically so, shattering the illusion of harmony and leaving the observant listeners wondering if they ever had been united at all.

Bodies danced throughout the room, rocking to the music. A tall young man moved ever so slightly at the knees, seeming to bob up and down. His eyes were closed and his lips were moving, mouthing the words to some internal song or cadence. The woman beside him bobbed with him, although she added a lateral gyration at the hips that made them seem out of sync. Others were more frantic, all flailing legs, arms, heads and torsos. Two women to the left, in an alcove with three others, seemed to be fighting as they bashed each other with their lower arms and occasionally rotating legs. But, if you watched long enough, it was clear that they were dancing together and taking advantage of and enjoying the sharp physical contact. Although most in the room were young, there were plenty of Landers here, too, and their dancing styles were of three sorts. One group of Landers gave in to the amorphous creativity of the three new generations of Planeters. These sun bronzed and lithe Landers were indistinguishable from the Planeters except for their more weathered faces and gray hair. Time had seemingly been kind to these survivors from Earth. The second group of Landers seemed to dance to their own internal rhythm, and in an archaic style out of place with both the music and their surroundings. The rest of the Landers simply observed, drinking it all in, savoring the moment.

Deirdre was one of these at the moment. She had just left the writhing Planeters, and had worked up quite a sweat, a good, healthy sweat, and she felt like she glowed. Her breathing was even and measured, and there was a pleasurable ache in a strange place in her upper legs, likely a place where her exercises apparently didn’t test. But, that was a good thing, and an excellent reason for trying what was new. Her bare fungalweave dress was plastered to her body, which she just noticed as she cooled off and the wetness turned cold. The dress fit her nicely, but not perfectly, and she was pleased to note that there was not too much that was out of place. She was still 52 kilograms, even after all these years, and all that sagged was her breasts. And she let them hang, letting gravity have its way with them.

She thought to herself, Not bad for a 70-year old, as a smile formed on her face.

Turning, she surveyed the room. The recreation commons was filled, as was the courtyard, with Gaians, each giving themselves to the moment.

They deserve it, too, she thought. It wasn’t every day when they finished a project like the Human Genome Project.

Some concessions had to be made to age and biological need, and dancing was hard, thirsty work. She saw an octagourd and made a b-line for it. There was a small crowd around it arrayed in a semicircle, some still dancing slowly and gently, and others just talking as best they could above the din. As she approached they noticed and parted just enough to let her through, not giving her much more attention than politeness required.

“Here, let me help you with that,” a voice said behind her. The voice was deep, and so close to her left ear that she could feel his breath.

Dee turned around, and then had to look up. This young man was easily 200 centimeters tall, and 100 kilos. A big specimen, to be sure.

He worked his way in toward the decanter, and retrieved a mug. Then he looked over to Deirdre, and raised his eyebrows while gesturing toward the array of spigots. Dee pointed the iced planetea, and he nodded almost imperceptivity. He filled the large hand crafted ceramic mug, and then gave it to Dee, then started to fill a second for himself.

While he was pouring the tea Deirdre got a better look at him. He was an ambiguous mix of hispanic, black, and maybe south asian stock. His skin was a dark dusty brown, which was exposed by his clean-cut wraps along his arms, lower abdomen, and lower legs. His hair was a long, lustrous raven black. Just like mine used to be, Dee remembered. Now it was a steely gray with only hints of her old dark overtones. It was still thick, lush, and frequently unruly, but now rather coarse. Not like this gentleman’s at all, which looked soft and silky. His face was strong rather than handsome or pretty.

Another face flashed into her mind, one she had known for so long and long ago. It had also been strong but definitely not pretty. Dee’s breath caught for a second as the sharp memory flashed. She recovered as the young man turned, his iced mug full, and gestured over to a less used alcove.

She followed, watching him closely. He has a really nice ass, she observed without realizing it. Dee felt her memories rising again. This was going to be difficult.

Most people were dancing and a couple of couches over in the semi-lit alcove were unoccupied. The two couches were arranged in the shape of an ‘L’, and were low and comfortable looking, with large, shapeless cushions and pillows strewn about. A low table of irregular polished reddish wood was in front of the couches. They sat down together on the smaller couch. Deirdre took a long appreciative sip of the tea that, as she remembered, had an exquisite aftertaste not unlike that of Earl Grey. Her botanists hadn’t been able to replicate the aroma and taste of oil of bergamot yet, but they had come close. Its icy coolness was nice, too, after the dance. Seeing her, the young man took a long pull from his mug, too. Dee finished her drink before he did, and she watched his adam’s apple bob up and down as he drank and drank. Her cup was still two-thirds full, and it was clear he was draining his. Showing off? No, probably thirsty, too.

When he finished he placed the cup on the table, which resounded with a low thump. He looked over to Dee and noticed she was studying him.

“You’re Hayes son, aren’t you?” she asked, searching her memory, “You’re Saul?” Deirdre prided herself on knowing a little about all her people, even if it wasn’t much.

“Yah,” he said, smiling a little. “I’m the third son of the communal family, so I guess I’m Drew Dresher’s son, too. My Moms are Gloria Cheng and Rose Brown. Gwen and I-Ling are my older sisters, and Jon, Yueh, and Ging are my older brothers. I’m the youngest.”

Dee nodded throughout, taking it all in. She knew the family, but some the details escaped her, especially since the number of Gaians was getting so large. It wasn’t like just after landing when she had known everyone, by necessity, personally.

“Your family moved to the outskirts a while ago,” Dee stated. “I’m glad you got a chance to come in to Gaia’s Landing; this is a special day. And I’m glad I am getting the chance to talk to you.”

Saul leaned forward. “I was hoping to see you when I got here. I work on a former crew, so I don’t get a chance to come in much. I heard all about the Landing when I was a kid, in school and from my parents, and all about you. The rest of the crew is going to be so jealous when I tell them I actually got to sit with Lady Skye!”

“Call me Dee. Everyone does. A former crew? You know, nothing is more important than what you are doing. The formers made all the difference after we landed. The land was so barren and harsh, and your efforts are helping us survive here with the farms and forests you’ve planted and tended. You can be very proud of that.”

Saul seemed to grow a little, making him seem even taller.

“All I can say is thank you.” Dee reached out and touched Saul’s arm, and felt that rare spark. At the touch the tall young man turned his head toward her hand and then followed it to Deirdre’s face. There was a look of wonder, and expectation on his face. And there was a look of surprise. He reached over and touched her hand, and almost withdrew it immediately, as if someone had slapped it. Then he simply looked into Deirdre’s eyes.

Dee rubbed his lower arm in a short, circular motion, making sure to get as much tactile contact as possible. The sweat on both of their arms undoubtedly helped.

There was a spark again, and this time Dee was sure they both felt it.

“You’re a Sensitive,” she stated. Her voice barely carried over the throbbing music.

Saul didn’t respond verbally, but he did reach over and place his hand on Deirdre’s, reinforcing the contact. Dee felt his the warmth of his hand as it engulfed hers, which was now trapped between the heat of his arm and his hand. She didn’t try to pull away. More memories poured into her mind.

He started to say something, but Dee stopped him by placing a finger lightly on his lips. “Not here. Let’s go into the Pines.”

They got up together and started to leave the party.

Deirdre and Saul were almost at the airlock when another man approached. He had a slight, wiry build and had dark hair. He was carrying a small child that couldn’t be more than one, and who was busy squirming and reaching for everything within her grasp. He hefted the sturdy little girl up a bit as he picked up the pace, weaving between the revelers.

“Mom! MOM!” he called out. A pair of dancers got in his way as they flowed across one of the few open spaces in the room, and he had to back up as his little girl grabbed at the woman’s loose dress. Emily got a good hold and pulled the woman in like a fish. The middle-aged woman looked surprised for a moment, but quickly noticed the baby pulling on her and stopped dancing. Her surprise turned to a smile as she saw the cute, cubby little girl. Her partner looked down and was annoyed for a moment, and then continued dancing.

Scott mumbled an apology and disentangled the fine green cloth from his daughter’s hand, and moved on an intercept course. The woman got a chance to pet Emily’s fine brown hair before she was whisked away, then looked around for her dance partner who had disappeared into the swirling mass of bodies.

“MOM!” Scott yelled, reaching out with his free hand to grab at Deirdre’s shoulder before she cycled the airlock.

Dee started, and shook her head just a little. Saul stood by her, and he looked like he was somewhere else, mentally at least.

“Scott,” she said, “and Emily!” Dee instinctively reached out to take Emily, and Scott, out of habit, deposited her in Grandma’s arms.

“I’ve been looking all over for you. The Council’s been trying to find you for almost an hour. You need to get to chambers…”

“It’s 2:00 in the morning, and this is the first time I’ve had off for a long while,” Dee said as she entertained Emily, who was now fully engrossed with the stray bit of Grandma’s hair that happened to come into range of her eager, clutching fingers. She pulled the hair to her mouth with a look of expectation on her chubby face. Dee pulled just enough to deny her the pleasure, and Emily just pulled harder. It was a stand off.

“It can’t wait, Mom,” Scott said. Then he looked at the man next to her. “Who’s this?”

“This is Saul. Of course it can wait. I haven’t even had a fungal gin fanny banger yet,” she said, her voice both playful and serious. “If the Council wants to talk to me, then they can come to the Pines, which is where I’ll be.”

“You don’t understand. There’s a comm for you.” Scott looked Saul over. He was big, and had a bewildered look about him - kind of stupid looking, really.

“Have Lindsay handle it. Like I said, I’m going to the Pines. With Saul. He’s a Sensitive and we have things to discuss.” Dee disentangled her hair from Emily’s chubby fingers, gave her a quick kiss, and handed the squirming package back to her father.

He accepted her with practiced ease. Scott looked over at Saul again, and then it dawned on him. “Mom, you don’t have time for that! We have to go. Now!”

“You don’t understand ‘No,’ do you?” Dee said, her tone measured and crisp. “I don’t get much of a chance to talk to new Sensitives anymore, and Saul needs special treatment. Either have Lindsay handle it, or it can wait until morning.”

Scott flushed red. He leaned forward and hissed, “It’s another Unity pod settlement! Do you get it now? It’s other humans from Unity!”

That stopped Deirdre in her tracks. In 40 years they had heard nothing, not even a faint crackle over many of the radio bands. At first the radio had been monitored constantly, and as the decades passed less and less frequently. Explorers had found nothing, too. The silence was ominous, and most of the Gaians had assumed the worst.

She shifted gears immediately. First she touched Saul’s shoulder and whispered in his ear; he nodded and went back to the party. Then she pulled out her breather while Scott got Emily’s and his own firmly in place. Emily fussed for a moment, but then let the irritating straps on the breather be, finding something else interesting she could grab and play with. The three stepped into the airlock, and it cycled. Then they were in the cool, crisp air of Pine Garden of Gaia’s Landing and walking quickly toward the main tower. The chill air made Deirdre downright cold now as evaporation from her sweat-soaked dress took hold, but she didn’t notice. She was focused on who these other human were. Was it Pravin, or maybe Zak? She had no way of knowing. How were they doing? Where were they? Had they contacted any other survivors? Had they met friendly native lifeforms, too? She had a thousand questions. This celebration of the completion of the Human Genome Project had become doubly meaningful now!

Scott interrupted her train of thought. “Mom, I can’t believe you. Saul is a third your age!” He was obviously annoyed.

“What can’t you believe,” Dee replied, not really concentrating on the comment.

“That you were going to take him to the Pines!”

“What’s so strange about that? He’s a Sensitive, and I was going to help him Hear and See for the first time. The party was too distracting.” Dee was focusing on Scott’s comments a bit more. He was miffed about something. “What did you think we were going to do?”

Scott only grumbled in reply. Happy drool pooled in Emily’s breathmask. She had a tip of a pine tree in her hand.

*~*~*~*

Dee pulled back her hair and straightened her disheveled dress a little, then stepped in front of an old Unity vidplate that had been pressed into service. The senior Council Member Lindsay nodded, and Deirdre hit a worn green button. The vidplate reluctantly buzzed to life.

An image formed. It was immaculate, even through the static and graininess.

Deirdre smiled, “Hello CEO. It’s nice to hear from you…”
Old April 2, 2002, 21:23   #14
Flubber
Deity

The supervisor led his new employees through the reproductions centre.

" This is a model Alpha 12 reproduction and upbring centre. Females in sector 14 are brought here for impregnation and care during reproduction on a fixed sechedule. Your assignment is to care for the infants until age 3 at which time they are assigned to an advanced youth training centre. The curriculum and training for your charges can be found in Traning manual 16"
Old April 3, 2002, 02:52   #15
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

"Who is number one?"
"We are number one."
"WHO IS NUMBER ONE?"
"WE ARE NUMBER ONE!"
"WHO IS NUMBER ONE!?"
"WE ARE NUMBER ONE!!!"

Morgan pulled a metre high foam rubber hand on a stick. The hand's forefinger was extended and written on it was 'Who is number one?'. This was the signal for the three dozen executives in attendance to pull out similar foam rubber hands that only had 'number one' on them and brandish them above their heads.

"WHO IS...", Morgan fell silent at the unexpected entrance of his First Executive Assistant into the Conference room.

"...er...excuse me, sir..." he began.

"You are offside, FEA! We are trying to conduct an important team-building exercise here! NO INTERRUPTIONS!"

Morgan's FEA drew Morgan out of hearing of the senior management of Morgan's Collections. "I assure you sir, you will want to be interrupted in this case. We are currently facing the biggest crisis since the Landing. I have convened an emergency meeting of the members of the board because of the gravity of the situation. This..."

"-If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times, FEA, under NEM Management there is NO SUCH THING as a crisis; only challenges and opportunities" broke in Morgan, still in a testy mood over the interruption. "You must read by latest book, 'Morgan's NEM Management for Dummies'. Or the prior one, 'NEM and the Art of Scout Rover Maintenance'."

"Yessir, sir. Please forgive my error, sir, but we have just received word of another party that survived the Landing."

"Well" said Morgan momentarily deflated, this is an extremely important cr...er...opportunity. I'd better get down to the Board Room immediately. Addressing the Morgan's Collections managers, he said,"My sincerest apologies, extremely exciting, late-breaking, and potentially extremely profitable events are calling me away from this bonding exercise. My FEA will take over. Here.", he handed his First Executive Assistant his rubber hand as left, "Do what comes naturally."

Morgan's FEA looked uncertainly at the hand and then at the expectant senior managers. "Er...", he began.
Old September 5, 2002, 13:28   #16
Googlie
Emperor

^ bump