Old October 17, 2001, 20:59   #1
BigBear
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Something is missing from Civ3 (this is not another pro-MP thread)
After reviewing the newest selection of screenshots and the preview video from pre-purchasing the game, I realized that Civ3 is missing alot of the art that made Civ2's environment so enjoyable.

In the video, it is stated that "we took out all art that was in the game for art's sake" or something like that. Also, in one of the screen shots, Delhi has been captured, but all that pops up is a little text screen in the corner saying something like "We are victorious again, shall we assign a governor or raze the city." I really miss the screens and pictures that would pop up that portrayed an army marching or the "built a city" picture. Even though this and other art is useless, it makes the game "pretty" and actually makes the game more enjoyable. In Civ2 it helped re-enforce the idea that I was leading a group of people, not merely building cities and improvements to make a set of numbers rize to acceptable levels. I am not sure if City View is in the game or not, but that also helped to make the game more interesting. Thats just what I think. Peace mo fo's.

In addition to this, did anyone else find that Activision's use of the creators of the game as civilization's leaders in CTP, incredibly lame? That pushed me over the edge, and I never played that game again.

Last edited by BigBear; October 17, 2001 at 21:23.
Old October 17, 2001, 21:08   #2
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 23:49
Re: Something is missing from Civ3 (this is not another pro-MP thread)
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBear
Oh yeah, anyone else think that CTP's method of using game maker's as the nation's leaders totally lame and just completely made it impossible to take talking to the computer seriously?
Please proofread before posting to make sure others will understand you. I'm a native speaker and I don't know what you mean. Imagine how the non-native speakers on this forum must feel.
Old October 17, 2001, 22:21   #3
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
Re: Re: Something is missing from Civ3 (this is not another pro-MP thread)
Quote:
Originally posted by Anatolia

Please proofread before posting to make sure others will understand you. I'm a native speaker and I don't know what you mean. Imagine how the non-native speakers on this forum must feel.
umm what part didnt you understand? it seemed pretty straight forward to me?
Old October 17, 2001, 23:21   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
I for one am glad superficial art has been removed. The game will still have a lot of 'niceties', but all the excess 'fat' will have been trimmed.

Lean, mean, CIVing machine!!
Old October 18, 2001, 00:23   #5
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
I've got to say I agree with the bear. They could have added in wondermoves and capturing city animations and then just given us an option to turn them off........

I'm sorry Firaxis..... I didn't mean it like that. I'm just tired. I've had a hard day.......

I still love you Firaxis.
Old October 18, 2001, 02:23   #6
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
I'm sorry Firaxis..... I didn't mean it like that. I'm just tired. I've had a hard day.......

I still love you Firaxis.
Obviously a stock holder
Frankly, I can do without the wonder movies. They just get turned off (or the CD never goes into the drive anymore. . .)
Old October 18, 2001, 03:54   #7
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:49
I'm glad that those unnecessary "we captured a city" animations and such stuff have been removed.
Old October 18, 2001, 04:04   #8
tuckson
Warlord

Local Time: 15:49
Nah... I watched the wondermovies and the animated heralds (oh yeah, don't forget those) only a few times before indeed turning them of.

However I do need some nice stuff to feed my enormous ego when having captured a city or build a new one. (Way to go tuckson, {taptap on shoulder}, well done pal )
-------------------------------><------------------------------
Old October 18, 2001, 04:14   #9
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wexu
I'm glad that those unnecessary "we captured a city" animations and such stuff have been removed.
um i thought it would be a nice option. plus it sounds that there is going to be much less conquests than before...and less cities...so capturing one will be a real event....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 18, 2001, 04:32   #10
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Or at least the 'marching feet' sound effect.
Old October 18, 2001, 06:56   #11
shawng1
Settler

I'm bummed about no wonder movies. It seems to me that they went in the direction of less "options" for the player this time around. And to me that's not the best decision.
2 Cor 3:18
Old October 18, 2001, 07:10   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Until I play the game its going to be hard to tell, but certainly its always nice to occasionally get rewarded for your success. I know I hate games that you play for hours that finally go "You have won. Press X to return to main menu". What a let down. I'm sure there was an article a while back from Sid Meier, Brian Reynolds or another well known designer talking about how valuable it is to reward the player little and often. Since the city view screen is in, perhaps just the sign of some troops marching in through the gates and a bit of smoke would have done the job nicely without wasting weeks more of the artists time.

Ok if we're getting the palace screen every 20 minutes and city capture may quite often trigger a new palace section then there is no need for a second 'reward'. A trophy shield outside your palace ofr every city captured would be a cooler reward than seeing marching troops any day.
Old October 18, 2001, 07:20   #13
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

If they would've putted those graphics in the game:

1. the game would be released 3 months later
2. one of the new concepts wouldn't have been in the game

since majority of the players will turn off these movies etc. anyway after playing a few times, I'm quiet happy they decided to not waste their time on it.

It must have been 4 years ago that I watched the soldiers marching into a city !

CyberShy
Old October 18, 2001, 09:29   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

C'mon Cyber. It doesn't take even one artist 3 months to make a version of the troop march. Lets not confuse it with recreating all the wonder movies.
Old October 18, 2001, 09:34   #15
Jusbaummer
Chieftain

I really don't care. Civ3 is going to look better than civ2 anyway.