Old October 18, 2001, 00:16   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How long until Civ4?
I know this is VERY premature, but there have been intervals of about 5 years between each of the actual Civilization titled games. Alpha Centauri is already a few years old, and I won't even mention all the other CIV games out there (well ok: ToT, CtP1&2). So with CivIII coming out, how long do you think until we can hope for Civ4 to come out? Or, do you think that maybe CivIII is the last CIV we will see?

I certainly hope not myself. But let us speculate together...
Old October 18, 2001, 00:28   #2
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 14:50
would you people just concentrate on the current game, and stop dreaming about things that does not exist, or could never exist.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 18, 2001, 00:35   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, Civ4 or not, you can be sure there will be plenty of ToT-esque things to keep you happy for a while. My personal take is Sid is DEAD TIRED of the Civ stuff and only did it this time around because a number of lucky factors matched all at once.

This is one of the reasons we went nuts giving feedback: Many of us felt Civ3 will be the last of its kind from Firaxis.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 18, 2001, 00:38   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
would you people just concentrate on the current game, and stop dreaming about things that does not exist, or could never exist.
Would you just stop posting for no reason, and take some thought of what you are going to say?

And yin: I percieve that Sid is getting apathetic to the CIV line too. I can't imagine why though, as it is his greatest and best selling work.

Maybe he could sell the CIV rights to Apolyton? Oh, that's right: he already sold them a long time ago.
Old October 18, 2001, 00:45   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Well, I'm sure whoever owns the "civ" name will still make games off of it...or just sell the name. As for Sid: If you look at his list of games, almost NONE of them are the same. One time a flight sim another CPU Bach. The guy lives to do something different from what he has done before, which is why Brian Reynolds was basically given full authority to make Civ2.

I doubt if Sid has a Civ 4 in him. So let's let him get out of his golf phase and hope for a hyper-realistic (though super fun and classic Sid-simple-like) modern warfare game!

Old October 18, 2001, 00:49   #6
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Civs turn based. Each turn is 5 years.

We're on turn three.........
Old October 18, 2001, 00:50   #7
nlmalph
Settler

I know its mildly offtopic, but if Sid was going to redo anything next, I'd so go back 14 years, dust off his second best game (IMHO), and make: Pirates 2

The potential to keep the varied gameplay of that game while adding depth is huge, and it'd be MUCH more exciting than civ4 to little ol' me.
Old October 18, 2001, 01:20   #8
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
Quote:
Well, Civ4 or not, you can be sure there will be plenty of ToT-esque things to keep you happy for a while. My personal take is Sid is DEAD TIRED of the Civ stuff and only did it this time around because a number of lucky factors matched all at once.
I get that feeling too. Its like the band that has new material but all the audience wants to hear is the stuff from ten years ago. (happened at They Might Be Giants the other weekend ...)

Quote:
LOL! Well, I'm sure whoever owns the "civ" name will still make games off of it...or just sell the name.
Arguably, this is how we got CTP. And I agree, the golf phase MUST end!
Old October 18, 2001, 01:36   #9
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by nlmalph
I know its mildly offtopic, but if Sid was going to redo anything next, I'd so go back 14 years, dust off his second best game (IMHO), and make: Pirates 2

The potential to keep the varied gameplay of that game while adding depth is huge, and it'd be MUCH more exciting than civ4 to little ol' me.
I'd like to see Colonization 2.
Old October 18, 2001, 01:39   #10
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
please don't talk about a civ4, once civ3 is out, and then dukeforever, there will be no games left to be interested in, which is my chance to get away from this chaotic internet world
Old October 18, 2001, 01:44   #11
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:50
Quote:
So let's let him get out of his golf phase
lol

I wonder what's the next phase... Sidatchous? Strategical gardening? Insect tactical war? I'm sure it'll be another original game.

By the way... I was woundering. Is it normal having spasms when thinking of Civ III?...
Old October 18, 2001, 01:48   #12
Sarxis
Emperor

"Sid, it's Mr. Briggs on the phone- he's wondering how you want to handle the new resource system in CivIII?"

"Tell him I will call back after I tee off." ::SHWAP!::
Old October 18, 2001, 01:51   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL...

Quote:
I wonder what's the next phase... Sidatchous? Strategical gardening? Insect tactical war? I'm sure it'll be another original game.
DON'T DO THAT! THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I PREDICTED SIM GOLF, FOR GOD'S SAKES MAN!

Old October 18, 2001, 15:47   #14
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
So do I, and I also would like Apolyton to cover Colonization on the oldies section. If we could make some good maps and Mark is feeling kind the later might happen.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:59   #15
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 15:50
Quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Alex 14

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

So do I, and I also would like Apolyton to cover Colonization on the oldies section. If we could make some good maps and Mark is feeling kind the later might happen.
Me too.
Old October 18, 2001, 16:01   #16
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna

lol

By the way... I was woundering. Is it normal having spasms when thinking of Civ III?...
Actually, there already is an Insect Tactical War game called Sim Ants (sames guys who made Sim City), so it wouldn't be an original game

I couldn't have spasms when thinking about Civ III, I think about it all the time!

What exactly is Colonization and where could I still get it?
Old October 18, 2001, 16:11   #17
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
What exactly is Colonization and where could I still get it?
This thread is about we want Apolyton to cover Colonization.
You can still buy the Windows version, but the DOS version is better, and I don't know if you can get that anywhere.
Old October 18, 2001, 16:17   #18
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I found a brief description of Colonization I wrote a while ago.

Sid Meier's Colonization

Colonization is a bit different from the Civilization series. It has anyway been important for the development of Civilization. The main difference between Civilization and Colonization is that Colonization has more micromanagement then Civilization and covers a shorter period of history.

Colonization starts in the Colonial Age, AD 1492 and lasts until 19th century with one or two turns a year. You are put in the role of Viceroy of the New World and your mission is to colonize the New World, in the west, in the name of your king and country.

Colonization has a well-developed resource system and each colonist (citizen) can be assigned to work outside the colony (as in Civilization) or in any of the buildings in the colony. If the colonists are working outside the colony the are obtaining raw materials or food. The raw materials may be used inside the colony to produce other resources. A building without any colonist working in it produce nothing, or very little. To earn money you have to sell resources to your mother nation or the natives.

Each colonist represents a populationpoint, which can be taken out of a colony at any time and found new colonies. The colonists can have different special abilities. One can be better on farming, another a better carpenter.

All your soldiers are armed colonists, and can therefor found new colonies. If a soldier lose a combat it becomes a lower level and colonists are captured if attacked by another European power.

Hope this hepls you.
Old October 18, 2001, 16:19   #19
Crouchback
Warlord

After Sid Golf, it's got to be Sid Shuffleboard and then Sid Peanuckle.

Sad thing is, I'm actually looking forward to the Sid Cruise series. None of us are getting any younger.

David
Old October 18, 2001, 16:27   #20
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Re: I found a brief description of Colonization I wrote a while ago.
Quote:

Sid Meier's Colonization

Colonization is a bit different from the Civilization series. It has anyway been important for the development of Civilization. The main difference between Civilization and Colonization is that Colonization has more micromanagement then Civilization and covers a shorter period of history.

Colonization starts in the Colonial Age, AD 1492 and lasts until 19th century with one or two turns a year. You are put in the role of Viceroy of the New World and your mission is to colonize the New World, in the west, in the name of your king and country.

Colonization has a well-developed resource system and each colonist (citizen) can be assigned to work outside the colony (as in Civilization) or in any of the buildings in the colony. If the colonists are working outside the colony the are obtaining raw materials or food. The raw materials may be used inside the colony to produce other resources. A building without any colonist working in it produce nothing, or very little. To earn money you have to sell resources to your mother nation or the natives.

Each colonist represents a populationpoint, which can be taken out of a colony at any time and found new colonies. The colonists can have different special abilities. One can be better on farming, another a better carpenter.

All your soldiers are armed colonists, and can therefor found new colonies. If a soldier lose a combat it becomes a lower level and colonists are captured if attacked by another European power.

Hope this hepls you.
Thanks, Gramphos, that helps a lot. Maybe I'll buy the game. When was it released. And are the fundamentals of the game still the same as Civ?
Old October 18, 2001, 16:28   #21
Mankind
Warlord

Yes....

Sid train simulator
Sid kitchen simulator
Sid hot-dog sales man simulator
Sid Sid's simulator
Old October 18, 2001, 16:32   #22
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mankind
Sid Sid's simulator
Wow, say that three times fast

and shouldn't it be Sid's Sid Simulator?

Sid's Sid Simulator
Sid's Sid Simulator
Sid's Sid Simulator

I would love to be Sid Meier...
Old October 18, 2001, 16:56   #23
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Re: Re: I found a brief description of Colonization I wrote a while ago.
Quote:
Thanks, Gramphos, that helps a lot. Maybe I'll buy the game. When was it released. And are the fundamentals of the game still the same as Civ?
IIRC it was released in 1994.
The goal is to become an independent state, and you war against your mother country at the end of the game. In the beginning of the game you war with natives and the three other colonial forces.
Trade and production is anyway the most important thing in the game as you need it to get money.
Instead of advances you get founding fathers to your congress that do you good.
I've played it so long that I take it as a part of the Civilization series, but it's hard for me to say whether anyone else would say it is close connected to civ or not.
I kind of like all that extra micromanagement, when a Colony miss a vital resource you could move it to that colony by ship or by wagon train. You also have to have colonists in each building for it to produce something. So the main difference is the micromannagement and the timescale.

Could anyone else that has played Colonization help me out with more info?
Old October 18, 2001, 17:03   #24
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Hey sounds even more fun! Trade is awesome if done correctly
'94... so the graphics aint so hot? Doesn't matter to me.

Is there a list of coutries you can be colonies of?
Old October 18, 2001, 17:26   #25
TubalCain
Settler

Quote:

England, France, Spain and the Netherlands.
Old October 18, 2001, 17:36   #26
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:

That one was easy. (Only four, but each have a specific ability)
English (Faster immigration)
French (Better relations with natives)
Spanish (attack bonus against native villages)
Dutch (lower taxes)
Old October 18, 2001, 17:51   #27
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Dutch (lower taxes)
Yeah, it was the first appearance of civ-specific abilitities!

After a few games as the English, I always played as the Dutch. Some 'quick strategy guides' claimed that the Spanish were also an interesting civ to play with. OTOH, I never saw anyone praising the French.

BTW, Colonization´s trade system was great!
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 18, 2001, 17:57   #28
Akillias
Chieftain

korean are dumb
Old October 18, 2001, 18:09   #29
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Akillias
korean are dumb
Of course it looks none too smart when your noun's number does not match your verb tense.

How about Sid's Apolyton? Hopefully it would ship with multiplayer since an AI could never be as engaging on the forums as a real human could be. Then we could all discuss how to win at Sid's Apolyton on the real Apolyton.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:34   #30
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:

Dutch (lower taxes)
This reminds me of the recent thread about horses being in North America or not.

I've just remembered last of the mochicans and I'd just like to voice my admiration for the native american's adaptivity, after only a century of European colinisation the Huron had adopted the french language and could speak it fluently. This to me shows remarkable learning, worthing of being called a science civ ......... ( kidding....... kind of )