Old October 18, 2001, 01:07   #1
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Economic Victory
I have a problem.

I have enabled only Economic Victory. I have also changed the factions settings to emphazise an AI builder strategy. What I find is that it takes on the order of 250,000 credits to corner the market. However, I have no hope of ever saving that much because every few turns I experience and energy market collapse.

How in the world does one win an economic victory under these conditions?

Ned
Old October 18, 2001, 01:46   #2
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 16:50
You wage war against the AI untill there's only one puny enemy base left. Then you buy it.

Yeah, I know. Kind of lame, but what else can you do?
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old October 18, 2001, 02:03   #3
xeno7667
Prince

Local Time: 14:50
Use FM to not get energy market collapse. Only with a high economy setting you can accumulate energy. Thats the really strength of FM. The +1 energy per field is nice add on...
Old October 18, 2001, 02:22   #4
Ned
King

I am running Eudaimonia and still experiencing crashes. I have +2 econ.

Does FM itself prevent crashes?

And, yes, I can conquer all AI bases. But, I was hoping to play a game without having to do that - just outbuild and outproduce the AI.

Ned
Old October 18, 2001, 02:42   #5
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 07:50
I have only cornered the market once, and I found it to be a frustrating experience with random events=on. But if xeno's assertion is correct about FM preventing energy crashes then I may have to go back and revisit that victory condition.
Old October 18, 2001, 05:26   #6
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 15:50
Ned, Ned, Ned ......... to prevent energy market crash... simple, just turn OFF the damn Random Events. That should do the trick

Besides that there is no other way to get a economic vitory unless you start shooting away enemy bases. I find that nervegasing them works like a charm. But you probably need to repeal the UN charts cause you still want commerce (if you have any).
Old October 18, 2001, 05:26   #7
yavoon
Warlord

I agree w/ the other guy, conquer the enemy then switch econ vic on. doesn't need to be one puny base though. if u wna try to get tricky w/ it, when u've got a clear advantage, start using mad amounts of genetic warfare on them.

does economic victory change w/ how hard it is for a probe to mind control a base? usually when I ask how much for econ victory its like 90k. but I know if i probe someone relentlessly, magically they get a ton harder to probe. I wonder if that also screws yer econ victory out
Old October 18, 2001, 05:31   #8
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Destroy all the enemy HQ's. I suggest Singularity Planet Busters.
(Well, technically you dont actually *conquer* any bases....)
Old October 18, 2001, 11:39   #9
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Running FM does NOT neutralize the energy market collapse random event. I get hit with it about once every other game where I am playing FM. It seems to always happen late in the game when I am contemplating rush building some critical secret project like, say the Cloning Vats or the Ascent...

Oh well, that's what crawlers are for, right?

My suggestion is to abuse the eco-damage reducing facilities to tha max possible extent. Build/rebuild tree farms and hybrid forests? Haven't done this myself, but it may give you the super cash flow you need.

- Scipio

PS. I have never come really close to cornering the energy market. Don't expect I ever will since, I'm not overly aggressive with the AI and I'm too lazy to really MM this game.
Old October 18, 2001, 13:49   #10
Fitz
King

Corner the market as early as possible. I have only succeded twice in cornering the market:

1) Slaughtered as many people as possible, then cornered the market with 10 turns worth of cash (about 20-30K ec). hit enter 20 turns running and said 'do it anyway' to the are you sure question. I just wanted to win that way, even though I could have wiped out the last enemy in 5 years.

2) Beelined for Hybrids tech, saved all my cash, terraformed everything to maximize cash, popped sea pods like mad, and started on a large water world with no sven. Was able to corner the market before it got really expensive, especially since everyone else was trapped with like 3 bases on their tiny islands and I had 10 bases or so on my large one. Luck of the planet, and it happened on my fifth-sixth time.

Also, you sould try rush building energy banks in every base, no matter how small.
Old October 18, 2001, 14:03   #11
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 15:50
I have also won the economic victory twice.

1) With morgan, I managed to stay treaty with ALL factions and could corner the global market at 2180s or something. Nothing spectacular, just early and lots of commerce.

2) Lal, 2314, Marr killed everyone except for morgan (2 bases) and cha dawn (1 base) and I gased him to the 0 bases, after that the corner global market was pretty much a childs play (incidently I also won a Diplomatic victory, a conquest and an AtT victory at the same game after saving of cause)
Old October 18, 2001, 19:03   #12
vitamin j
Prince

Local Time: 09:50
It seems like economic victory would be seen more often if you didn't have to wait so long to be able to do it. All the other victory conditions don't require any special waiting period - once you achieve them you win. It should be the same for economic. If that condition is enabled, you'll have to be more aware of the possibility. Just my opinion...
Old October 19, 2001, 02:22   #13
Ned
King

Maybe there is something to +2 econ and energy market crashes. After my last post, the last hostile faction surrendered. I had around 4,000 ec. An economic victory cost around 100,000ec. However, I then cranked up energy to 100% so that I was earning around 15,000ec per. I was able to save the necessary funds in six years. No more energy market crashes. I stayed in Eudaimonia the whole way.

After, I corneredd the market, Roze attacked. She was a Pact mate. Later, first Sven and then LAL, both surrendered factions attacked. I ended the game in a war with LAL.

From the time I cornered the market 'til ultimate victory, I experience no further crashes. I stayed in +2 econ all the way.

Ned