Old October 18, 2001, 15:05   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Positive info on Manual. ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed_UK at Infogames UK Forum
re: the manual. I don't know about that, but I'd guess it was going to be a pdf manual like the US version (if that's what the US version is having). Infogrames has been following the DVD-case format for its PC for a while and I'd guess it wouldn't change only for the UK. If the US was shipping with a full size box and manual then my guess would be the UK would as well but I can't see it changing for the UK. Sorry folks. There's talks about a limited edition version for next year but I really can't say too much about it I'm afraid...
Read for yourself. They say it will be a PDF-manual.

Edit: Read Dan's Post

Last edited by Gramphos; October 18, 2001 at 17:48.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:08   #2
drake
King

Local Time: 10:51
And the mp people get criticized for *****ing about supposedly "useless" stuff.

An essential part of the game is left out and people expect us not to get upset.

So really, please, stop crying about a ridiculous manual. If its in pdf form its in pdf form. Atleast you have it.

Last edited by drake; October 18, 2001 at 15:15.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:10   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:51
All I see is someone that doesn't have an answer to whatever question was posed....

Quote:
re: the manual. I don't know about that, but I'd guess it was going to be a pdf manual like the US version (if that's what the US version is having). Infogrames has been following the DVD-case format for its PC for a while and I'd guess it wouldn't change only for the UK. If the US was shipping with a full size box and manual then my guess would be the UK would as well but I can't see it changing for the UK. Sorry folks. There's talks about a limited edition version for next year but I really can't say too much about it I'm afraid...
Old October 18, 2001, 15:12   #4
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 09:51
This seems to only pertain to the European version. Hopefully the US version will have the full sized manual for SE and LE versions of the game in those full size boxes...
Old October 18, 2001, 15:17   #5
MDA
Settler

If the game was windowed, a pdf manual wouldn't be THAT bad. Clunky for the "learning the game" times you might NEED to see the manual for, but not the end of the world.

If we get pdf manuals, I hope the game is as "alt-tab friendly" as advertised. I don't want to print the manual.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:18   #6
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:51
I'm with Stuie on this one. There is no need to jump to conclusions by these comments because of their uninformative nature.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:22   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I hope you are right, but they said their policy was to have DVD-cases and pdf-manuals.

I'm a bit tired and overlooked that sentence.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:28   #8
The Templar
Prince

Let's see if we can get Mister Pleasant to make some more "wagers".
Old October 18, 2001, 15:33   #9
Crouchback
Warlord

Way I read it Gramphos, we're going to get the same in the UK as they're getting across the pond. Which from Dan's postings here, I take to mean paper manual in a proper(?) box. But as with everything we'll have to wait and see.

David
Old October 18, 2001, 15:39   #10
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
Way I read it Gramphos, we're going to get the same in the UK as they're getting across the pond. Which from Dan's postings here, I take to mean paper manual in a proper(?) box. But as with everything we'll have to wait and see.

David
Yes, I've realized that when I read it a second time. I've been awake to long without getting any alcoholic the last days.
But there is also the fact that the advance copies only have pdf-manual.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:42   #11
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Yes, I've realized that when I read it a second time. I've been awake to long without getting any alcoholic the last days.
But there is also the fact that the advance copies only have pdf-manual.
Advance copies probably only have PDF manual because they didn't want to give away the expensive manuals and such to groups that have not paid anything for the game to begin with.

If it were me I'd send that advance copy in a plain jewel case with a PDF manual also. No art work or anything, game magazines/fan sites don't care (as much) about the box, they simply want the game.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:56   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

What can I say, except that I hope that you are right. I'm usually optimistic, and I think this issue shall be no exception, but I need to know all facts before I can take my position. And when you are awake too long each day just doing nothing you overlook lines.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:57   #13
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 14:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
If it were me I'd send that advance copy in a plain jewel case with a PDF manual also. No art work or anything, game magazines/fan sites don't care (as much) about the box, they simply want the game.

So much for the fable that reviews test the 'complete' game.

If it's comes in a DVD case, there won't be a full manual in it, period. Because it's physically impossible to cram it into a DVD case! To think otherwise is pure self delusion!

So as it stands
LE: full manual
Ordinary game box: full manual (likely)
DVD-case (EU?): manual on PDF + instruction sheet.

no manual = another counter argument
Old October 18, 2001, 16:06   #14
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
So much for the fable that reviews test the 'complete' game.

If it's comes in a DVD case, there won't be a full manual in it, period. Because it's physically impossible to cram it into a DVD case! To think otherwise is pure self delusion!

So as it stands
LE: full manual
Ordinary game box: full manual (likely)
DVD-case (EU?): manual on PDF + instruction sheet.

no manual = another counter argument
Form what I got out of it would it be the same box-type in UK as in US
Old October 18, 2001, 16:58   #15
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Let me be clear, since this issue doesn't seem to want to die:

1) BOTH versions of the North American release of Civ III come with real, physical manuals (235 pages, as I mentioned before). I know this to be fact, as I have actually examine the contents of both a LE box and a standard edition box.

2) The North American release of Civ III also comes with PDF version of the manual on the game disc. I know this because I've popped the standard ed. CD-ROM into my drive and looked around. I haven't played with the CD in the LE yet but I've no reason to expect that the LE *doesn't* have a feature the standard ed. does have.

3) We have been told by Infogrames that the UK will, at least initially, be receiving the exact same stock as the North American version (i.e., no localization, no changing z's to s's, etc.)

4) Assuming #3 is true, this would mean UK customers would be getting a physical manual.

5) #3 does not preclude Infogrames from doing a second version later that may not follow any or all of the same conventions as the North American release. I know zero about their plans in this capacity, I can only pass along what I've been told.

6) I still have no info on other markets, countries, hamlets, localities, boroughs, provinces, or territories.

Dan
Old October 18, 2001, 17:03   #16
shum00
Chieftain

Great news! Thanks a lot, Dan. Well I guess this is settled now.
Old October 18, 2001, 17:05   #17
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:51
Was it me or did Dan seem a bit frustrated? Anyways, it's good to finally have this cleared up.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 18, 2001, 17:15   #18
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

1) BOTH versions of the North American release of Civ III come with real, physical manuals (235 pages, as I mentioned before). I know this to be fact, as I have actually examine the contents of both a LE box and a standard edition box.

2) The North American release of Civ III also comes with PDF version of the manual on the game disc. I know this because I've popped the standard ed. CD-ROM into my drive and looked around. I haven't played with the CD in the LE yet but I've no reason to expect that the LE *doesn't* have a feature the standard ed. does have.

Thanks dan, that's all that 90% of the posters here wanted to know. Another issue cleared up.

Last edited by CapTVK; October 18, 2001 at 17:20.
Old October 18, 2001, 17:23   #19
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Now I can just hope I may get one game from UK soon after release.
Old October 18, 2001, 17:44   #20
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS 4) Assuming #3 is true, this would mean UK customers would be getting a physical manual.
Dan I think i love you
Old October 18, 2001, 17:51   #21
Robm
Prince

Local Time: 06:51
Could the manual be posted for download?
Dan, is there any chance the manual could be posted for download on civ3.com? I'd love to start reading all 235 pages now, and be ready in two weeks to start playing.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:03   #22
The Templar
Prince

I don't know, I still just don't buy it. So what if someone who actually works for Firaxis comes on line and confirms that there will be a physical manual? What does that prove? I won't be happy until I have the box in my hand and I see a manual in it. But wait, even then I won't be satisfied! Firaxis could rig the boxes with holographic manuals that look like real manuals but don't really exist. Or an evil demon could be deceiving me, or I could be a brain in a vat on alpha centauri ...
Old October 18, 2001, 18:17   #23
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
I don't know, I still just don't buy it. So what if someone who actually works for Firaxis comes on line and confirms that there will be a physical manual? What does that prove? I won't be happy until I have the box in my hand and I see a manual in it. But wait, even then I won't be satisfied! Firaxis could rig the boxes with holographic manuals that look like real manuals but don't really exist. Or an evil demon could be deceiving me, or I could be a brain in a vat on alpha centauri ...
You'd better not be dissin Dan ...... We want to ENCOURAGE him to tell us more about the game........
Old October 18, 2001, 18:25   #24
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Local Time: 08:51
Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
No, no, no. The DVD case would be inside a box. I've never seen a game sold in just a DVD case.

Anyways, what's so special about those DVD cases? Most of the time I find it difficult to get the CD out!
Old October 18, 2001, 18:30   #25
Ralf
King

Local Time: 15:51
Quote:
Originally posted by aebbeka
No, no, no. The DVD case would be inside a box. I've never seen a game sold in just a DVD case.
In europe more and more games are released in a DVD-case only - with a reduced mini-manual inside it, together with the CD. Anyway, read Dan Magahas comment above.
Old October 18, 2001, 20:10   #26
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 15:51
Most games do well with a dvd case and small manuel...not civ3 I am sure...BUT comeon if that tin ain't going to have a huge manuel in it they better have the biscuits shaped like civ3 units.

Old October 18, 2001, 20:19   #27
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:51
Quote:
Dan, is there any chance the manual could be posted for download on civ3.com? I'd love to start reading all 235 pages now, and be ready in two weeks to start playing.
Old October 18, 2001, 20:42   #28
dearmad
Prince

no it's not you Dan sounded frustrated but that's because he posted this BEFORE.

the mistake he's making is in NOT updating the CIV3 site with this info in the FAQ- since it IS a FAQ we're dealing with here.
Old October 18, 2001, 22:33   #29
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dearmad
no it's not you Dan sounded frustrated but that's because he posted this BEFORE.
Exactly what I was going to say but was too late. Dan is upset because he cannot stop most rumors but this is one he has canned on more than one occasion.
Old October 18, 2001, 23:33   #30
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:51
It's a good thing that we ain't getting no stinkin' DVD type crappy game packages here.