Old October 19, 2001, 01:19   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is the UN victory okay?...
Alot of people aren't that much sure that the UN council victory is at its best. Considered with the limited info we have by now and no testing ourselves yet, what do you think of it?
Old October 19, 2001, 01:20   #2
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:52
I hate it!
Forgot to click on "poll"
Old October 19, 2001, 01:33   #3
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
I really think that we don't have enough information to make an informed decision yet. When the game comes out, TRY IT NO MATTER WHAT. Because you have to give it a chance, or else you're being stupid. If you don't like it, two options:

(1) Turn it off
(2) Nuke, capture, and raze the city containing the UN
Old October 19, 2001, 02:55   #4
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:52
Seems kind of weird to me. It's not like you'd ever vote for anyone but yourself. And yet for some reason the AI will vote for you (or it would be impossible to win through this route, no?). This certainly doesn't seem like it would work in multiplayer. But then I don't know all the details, so I'll reserve judgment.
Old October 19, 2001, 03:01   #5
shawng1
Settler

Local Time: 14:52
Victory is Victory.

The sorriest win is better than defeat. Will it be my first choice? No. But will I take it if it looks like an avenue to victory? Yep.
2 Cor 3:18
Old October 19, 2001, 03:24   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I just had a brain fart!

In SMAC, everyone could vote to elect what was known as the Planetary Governor, and ultimately, the Supreme Leader (which gave that player a diplomatic victory).

I was just thinking- what if when Firaxis said you need 25% of the total land, or 25% of the total population to be on the UN council, what they meant was that you needed those numbers to be a candidate for World Leader, but everyone else still gets to vote?!

In SMAC, only the two players with the highest population counts were the candidates for Planetary Governor, but everyone else did get to vote.

Now THAT makes sense!
Old October 19, 2001, 05:08   #7
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
That probably the best...... brain fart you've had all week.

Good thinking though, hadn't considered that. The firaxians word order seems pretty illiterate though if you're right. If that the way they word their press releases let's just hope it's cause they've been spending all the rest of their time on AI.........
Old October 19, 2001, 05:14   #8
Deathwalker
Prince

I just hope there is an option to turn it off or ignore the reults like in MOO2, the only problem there was that they would all be gouped into one race
Old October 19, 2001, 05:29   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
The firaxians word order seems pretty illiterate though if you're right. If that the way they word their press releases let's just hope it's cause they've been spending all the rest of their time on AI.........
Yeah- their wording is very confusing, and doesn't present the UN victory as a very sensible scenario. The only reason I thought of my theory is because I am a SMAC player, and Firaxis stated that the UN Diplomatic victory was copied somewhat from the SMAC version.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:24   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:52
I liked the way it worked in MoO2. If you were so far behind it gave you a quick way of recognising it and starting over. If you were tough enough to take on all the other Council races and win you deserved that military victory. It solved all the AI's problems about how to decide which races would fight the player. They all did
Old October 19, 2001, 13:57   #11
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

I've never played SMAC (though I 've come close to playing it ) but if you're right this seems like a good way to do the UN. Although it doesn't look like it from what Firaxis has said. I certainly hope it is like SMAC.
Old October 19, 2001, 15:17   #12
The Andy-Man
Prince

well, firaxis did say rthat 25% is just a number they said, they said it would probably be different.

perhaps it will be a people thing, like all the citizens vote for a leader, so having good rep, high pop, high culture and good foreigh affairs will all be imprtant.

perhaps it will be a hell of a lot harder then we all think.