Old October 19, 2001, 06:12   #1
izmircali
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
WTF: no firepower?
From the review units only have attack, defense, and hit points (which are standardized). Granted it looks like units will also have special abilities (the editor screenshot had a tab) so I hope that helps. Also combat is done in rounds instead of to the death.

But I don't see why firepower was eliminated, i mean a tank obviously has more firepower than a phalanx. Same goes with diffent hit points. Perhaps they combined firepower (since it appeared to be a multiplier to attack or defense) into the two stats but I have my doubts on this new combat system.

Anyone else know better? did i read this preview wrong?
Old October 19, 2001, 06:28   #2
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:53
I wonder about the same thing. Perhaps this has something to do with the new capabilities of bombardment, etc.? I mean, in Civ I a battleship could attack a phalanx and be destroyed by it. In Civ II, this was almost impossible, although the phalanx could damage the battleship slightly. In Civ III (and also in real life), the battleship will (I think) be able to bombard and the destroy the phalanx from a distance, without the phalanx being able to inflict damage at all.

So, when it comes to ground units, perhaps there is a solution of this kind that will replace firepower.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:35   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:53
They have increased Attack and Defense power of many units to accomodate for the loss of "firepower". Examples:

Unit Attack.Defense

Spearman 1.2
Swordmen 3.2
Musketman 3.3
Cavalry 6.3
Tank 16.10
Modern Tank 24.14

So it should all work out.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:38   #4
splangy
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
actually, all units have a firepower of 1, so the chance of a phalanx beating a battleship is REALLY low, much lower than in civ1, and about the same (maybe larger, but not much) in civ2...
Old October 19, 2001, 06:38   #5
Dutch
Chieftain

Right. Sounds acceptable. Can't quite lose the idea that the firepower system of Civ II was more advanced, though.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:44   #6
campmajor!
Prince

I disagree. If you take the example of that battleship versus phalanx, then IMO it is unrealistic that the battleship is damaged by that phalanx!

So by replacing firepower by a bombardment possibility, they made it more realistic and therefore a more advanced system.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:51   #7
Dutch
Chieftain

I agree to that!

My example perfectly shows how Civilization has evolved through the ages.

I merely think that when it comes to plain ground combat (phalanx versus armor, etc.), the firepower system seemed to have a technological edge. But, of course, it may be rendered obsolete by the new Combat Engine advance.
Old October 19, 2001, 08:05   #8
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I just hope that a Musketman doesn't loose to a Phalax very often. I mean, the technologies are totally different, and the Musketman are far superior.
Old October 19, 2001, 08:12   #9
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
People, if it was Activision making this game, a phalanx probably would beat a battleship. But, it is Firaxas making the game, they "appear" to have their heads screwed on, so I'm sure that they've got everything worked out - i.e. no phalanx victorys over battlships!!

A musketeer vs a swordsman might be closer though....who knows
Old October 19, 2001, 08:25   #10
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Jason, thats one thing Im not so sure about... all the stats for early units seem very low to me.. they dont strt getting big enough until about industrial age.
Old October 19, 2001, 08:37   #11
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

I suspect that removing firepower was part of the simplification effort we've read about. Just glancing at the attack and defense strength is all you need to know now. And of course you have to consider the morale (regular/veteran/elite).

As for a 3/3 musketeer taking on a (presumably) 1/2 phalanx, the musketeer should win but will take some damage, given equal morale. I don't think this is unrealistic. Musketeers do have firearms, but the primitive gunpowder weapons were slow to load and unreliable, so it's not inconceivable that a hand-to-hand combat unit like the phalanx could get in and do some damage.
Old October 19, 2001, 08:38   #12
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Well, regardless of what can beat what... I wouldn't want to see an army of spear throwers beating up on an army of riflemen. That isn't only inaccurate, but it's agrivating and not very much fun. You would expect that a civilization that is vastly more advanced than another, would easily take out a bunch of rock throwers.

What is the difference between a rifleman and a phalanx, other than their attack, defence ratings? Is there anything that distinguishes these units appart other than those ratings? Is there anything that would almost certainly guarantee that the rifleman would win?
Old October 19, 2001, 08:47   #13
Dutch
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

What is the difference between a rifleman and a phalanx, other than their attack, defence ratings? Is there anything that distinguishes these units appart other than those ratings? Is there anything that would almost certainly guarantee that the rifleman would win?
I join in the question choir. Technically, if you have 20 phalanx fighting 1 rifleman, a few phalanx might prevail and kill off the rifleman. Perhaps this could happen in real life, though, if the rifleman ran out of ammo.
Old October 19, 2001, 09:15   #14
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I shouldn't put much faith in Gamespots preview because I'm noticing a ton of errors in this so called "preview". They're saying that if a unit with an attack factor of 9 attacks a unit with a defence fact of 1, it has a 90% chance of victory.

Really? So if a tank takes on a warrior, their is a 10% chance that it will be killed? That better not be true! The warrior should have about 0.01% chance of not being crushed under the tanks tracks!!!

Ok... I really need Firaxis to come in here to save us from this delema!
Old October 19, 2001, 09:34   #15
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 08:53
It's not a 90% chance of winning the entire battle, it's a 90% chance of winning each round of the battle. The warrrior would need to win three rounds before the tank won three rounds - highly unlikely. Also, the tank has a higher movement rate, and thus can break off the combat when injured and retreat to fight another day -- should luck be against it.
Old October 19, 2001, 09:39   #16
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Ya... you're right ChrisShaffer.

...but what if it was a Musketman and a swordsman? Would there be a big difference between the two?

I guess we'll have to see.
Old October 19, 2001, 09:51   #17
izmircali
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:53
The rounds thing is also what gets me. Lets take the Phalanx vs Armor scenario (based on what we know). It said a 90% chance of winning in any given round and it goes 3 to five rounds. So elites can go more rounds than "green" units which is good. But really, an elite bunch of phalanxes (even the Theban sacred Band) I doubt can go more rounds than a green (3) or veteran (4) armor.

I'm hoping that tanks will have a ranged attack (not bombardment) as do gunpowder units (I think there was a ranged attack capability, can anyone else confirm that?)
Old October 19, 2001, 10:01   #18
StratAll
Settler

Possible interpretation
Hey,

I think what they meant with the 90% thing is this :

X = Attacker's attack rating + Defender's defense rating.

% chance attacker wins = Attacker's attack rating / X
% chance defender wins = Defender's defense rating / X

That way you have X = 9 + 1 = 10
And since the attacker has 9 attack it's 9/10 = 90%

And this happens every round until either one's hitbar is depleted.

So as for a phalanx versus a battleship (I'm assuming 24 attack rating because I'm too lazy to check the screenshots) (and assuming they have 3 hitpoints either because of normal morale?)

Attacker % = 24 / (24+2) = 92.3%
Defender % = 2 / (24+2) = 7.6%

So the chance for the battleship to win with 3-0 is
(92,3%)^3 = 78.6%
Come to think of it, that's quite low. Firaxis, please help?

Anyway, the odds for a phalanx to beat a battleship would be
the sum of a 0-3, 1-3 or 2-3 victory for the phalanx which is lower than 0.05%

But with only the 78.6% chance for a battleship to get unharmed in an encounter with phalanx I fear there must be more to the calculation system.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by StratAll; October 19, 2001 at 10:12.
Old October 19, 2001, 10:15   #19
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

The realistic battle results may very well hinge on the hp numbers now. It is too bad that FP numbers are not in the mix though, because this would allow for a greater degree of flexibility and control on establishing realistic results.

As long as Firaxis have the hitpoints worked out correctly, then in a straight up battle, advanced units should be able to defeat earlier units (Note that ctp1 had 10hp for all units in the default game, as well as a standard FP of 2 for all units , which was the cause of the unbalanced combat results - but ctp2 had not only different hp/attack/defend numbers for all units, but also different FP and Armor numbers, which allowed for realistic results.)

I have a feeling that there will be some undesirable results, based more on whether a unit is wounded - but this could be offset, for example, by limiting whether ancient units can even have the ability to inflict damage on air units.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 19, 2001, 10:17   #20
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

You're calculations are wrong, StratAll. I wish I was a math person so that I could show you, but I know that Krazyhorse can figure it out.
Old October 19, 2001, 10:20   #21
KrazyHorse
Deity

EDIT: see my next post
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 19, 2001, 10:24   #22
KrazyHorse
Deity

Re: Possible interpretation
Quote:
Anyway, the odds for a phalanx to beat a battleship would be the sum of a 0-3, 1-3 or 2-3 victory for the phalanx which is lower than 0.05%
Actually, this part is wrong. Good spotting.

The odds for a phalanx to beat a battleship are closer to the order of ~.5%
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 19, 2001, 10:32   #23
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Anyone taking into account if the Phalanx is bunkered down with some defensive 'assistance'???
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old October 19, 2001, 10:37   #24
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 07:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
Well, regardless of what can beat what... I wouldn't want to see an army of spear throwers beating up on an army of riflemen. That isn't only inaccurate, but it's agrivating and not very much fun. You would expect that a civilization that is vastly more advanced than another, would easily take out a bunch of rock throwers.
How is it that it is inaccurate to have an army of spearthrowers beat up on an army of riflemen? After all it happened only a little more than 120 years ago during the Anglo-Zulu War.

At the Battle of Isandlwana on Jan. 22nd, 1879, an army of Zulus armed mainly with spears, attacked and slaughtered a large portion of a British army (armed with rifles) that had been marching against them. Some 1300 British officers and men died in that battle.

Admitedly, there were a large combination of factors that played into that victory, and in that same day at the Battle of Rourke's Drift, a force of a well-led and fortified unit of approximately 140 Welsh infantrymen were able to hold off 4000 troops of that Zulu army, but it can happen.

Superior technology does not always mean victory, as armies have discovered to their misfortune time and again throughout history.
Old October 19, 2001, 10:43   #25
StratAll
Settler

KrazyHorse,

You're right, that last one should be more like 0.35%. My mistake!
Old October 19, 2001, 10:44   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Ahh...the Zulu war. Brought up on both sides of the "pointy sticks can't beat guns" debate. What happened the day after the Battle of Isandlwana, Hex? I'll give you a hint: the British didn't lose this battle.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 19, 2001, 11:00   #27
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Actually, I don't mind seeing the very rare 'unbelievable' battle results, because it actually makes the game more fun - I just do not want to see it happen on a regular basis.

I do hope that removing the FP numbers does not make it happen too much though.
Old October 19, 2001, 11:02   #28
Grumbold
Emperor

Sigh. Tanks are not invincible. Some people have amazing misconceptions about how great they are. Shove a tree branch or rail in the tracks and they are immobilised. Block the vision slits and they are blind. One molotov cocktail and the crew are roasting. Catch them in camp and killing the sentries allows you to overrun the whole unit. Blow up their supply dump and they are immobile and out of ammo. Spear armed infantry had good successes against tanks in WW II and the post war history of Afghanistan should show you just how effective lightly armed troops can be. The key is not to fight head on but rely on guerrilla tactics and ambushes. In cities or bad terrain the infantry even have the advantage. Good leadership and appropriate use of combined arms is the important thing. One incompetent general can get whole divisions captured or killed.

On the civ combat thing, it will make a difference if a 60% attack chance will result in an automatic loss on failure (the old Civ I method) or whether the defender performs a reciprocal attack in order to score a hit. For instance:

6 v 4 = 60% chance per round of attacker scoring a hit
1 v 4 = 25% chance per round of defender scoring a hit

That would change the success odds significantly.

Either way I can't see anyone except the most hardened militarists trying to conduct a campaign in the early years. Its going to take stacks of bombards to shift the odds away from the defender with all the early stuff having such low attack ratings.
Old October 19, 2001, 11:04   #29
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Ya... the British may have taken a beating, but the Zulus out numbered the British by a huge factor. The British simply couldn't kill the Zulu warriors fast enough.

So... in a game scenario, if there were about 10 phalaxes beating up on one rifleman... ok... let them win. That wouldn't bother me, but a one on one battle, forget it.
Old October 19, 2001, 11:07   #30
Knigget
Settler

If there's no firepower the roman legions and musketmen are equally good...

Say it ain't so