Old October 19, 2001, 14:28   #1
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Four Questions...
1) Will workers be able to build airbases in Civ3?

2) Do you have to build a unit called "Army" to be able to form an army, or is that "Army" unit in the screenshot just an ordinary cavalry with new animation?

3) Can you put different types of units in the same army (e.g. can you make an army with a Cavalry, a Cannon, and a Musketmen)?

4) If you can mix different unit types in an army, is it beneficial to have units that can bombard and units with strong attack (e.g. Catapults and Knights) in the same army as it was in Call to Power 2, or is it better to just have an army of good attackers and no bombarders (e.g. all Swordsmen)?
Old October 19, 2001, 15:13   #2
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:54
I might be able to help you with some of these Maximus:

1) I have no idea. I don't think anyone that doesn't have the game would know that.

2) I'm quite sure that you turn your Great Leader unit into an Army. I may not be understanding your question fully.

3) Yes... absolutely! ...and your army moves as slow as your slowest unit.

4) From what I've been reading in Dan Magaha's replies to our question, the only benefit that you get from creating an army is that each unit pools it's hit points together into one unit (that being the army). So if you have 4 elite units in one army, that means that you have 20 hit points in that one unit entity. I don't think that having different types of units in that army actually matters.

Maybe they'll expand on that in CIV 4.
Old October 19, 2001, 15:19   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:54
Re: Four Questions...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
As far as I can see, airbases are infrastructure. Right?
Well the answer is then simple; the Workers build all
the infrastructure and the Settlers provide you with
new cities.
Old October 19, 2001, 16:25   #4
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:54
Re: Re: Four Questions...
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
As far as I can see, airbases are infrastructure. Right?
Well the answer is then simple; the Workers build all
the infrastructure and the Settlers provide you with
new cities.
The question is whether or not airbases will still be the same as in civ2. Since air units now function differently, it may be different.
Old October 19, 2001, 16:34   #5
Haphazard
Warlord

I guess Dan just missed out the airbase. I think it'll be in...

Also, I guess you won't be able to put cannons in armies. What are they going to do in a normal attack? It'd be messy rules.

The 'army unit' ie the flag guy, is just a indication that there is a army there. The army on screenshot of the week consists of only 3 Knights. HTH
Old October 19, 2001, 19:11   #6
jdd2007
NationStates
King

sorry to burst ur bubble, Hap, but IIRC cannons can only be in armies, and can 'bombard' now...
Old October 19, 2001, 19:21   #7
GodSpawn
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
sorry to burst ur bubble, Hap, but IIRC cannons can only be in armies, and can 'bombard' now...
I seem to remember seeing somewhere (civfanatics?) that cannons can be outside armies, but could then be captured by enemy units, since they have zero defence. (And this also applies to other zero defence units, such as the Great Leader!)
Old October 19, 2001, 21:09   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cannons are stand-alone units. They bombard. They do NOT have to be in an army to be useful. More than likely to put them in an army will be a waste of army-space.

This goes for catapults, cannons, all types of artillery that we know of.
Old October 19, 2001, 21:14   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Proof: Heres a catapult. Its the selected unit, but definately not in an army.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	catapult.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	4460  
Old October 20, 2001, 09:11   #10
jdd2007
NationStates
King

my bad, i dont know where i heard that...
Old October 20, 2001, 09:31   #11
Skanky Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
my bad, i dont know where i heard that...
We'll forgive you this time....
Old October 20, 2001, 09:33   #12
Rasbelin
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Four Questions...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

The question is whether or not airbases will still be the same as in civ2. Since air units now function differently, it may be different.
You're Right, Sabre2th. I have a feeling that airbases
are still a part of the infrastructure, so I wove to
carry on with my vision on those airbases.
Old October 20, 2001, 09:57   #13
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

I think the question of how bombardment units (catapult, cannon, etc.) function in an army is a very good one. Since their official attack/defense rating is 0/0, they would add nothing to the overall army strength. And I doubt they implemented any sort of CTP like system where the ranged units fire first. At least, I sure hope not!

One possible answer is that there is no point in putting bombardment units in an army. Another possible answer is that when the army attacks, the bombardment units execute a bombardment attack first, then the rest of the units attack. I would love to get some clarificatoin on this!
Old October 20, 2001, 15:31   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:54
Has anyone seen any evidence of stacking?
Armies we know something of.

But has anyone seen a screenshot of 2 units being together? That "defensless" catapult attacking a town in the GameSpot gallery seemed to be all by its lonesome.

The only reason I can see for the town's defenders not taking on the catapult is that to capture it would involve advancing into the catapult's tile, leaving the town defenseless.

Comments, anyone?
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 20, 2001, 16:56   #15
Crouchback
Warlord

I have this terrible feeling that Civ 3 is going to be like SMAC where there was no indication of how many of your own troops are on a tile until they're clicked on. There is a clip from the trailer vid that seems to show only one spearman until they're right clicked on and then options for several units appear. All of which is going to be a real test of memory!

David
Old October 21, 2001, 05:30   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Re: Has anyone seen any evidence of stacking?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

Comments, anyone?
That was neat thinking.
Old October 21, 2001, 05:36   #17
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 15:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
I have this terrible feeling that Civ 3 is going to be like SMAC where there was no indication of how many of your own troops are on a tile until they're clicked on. There is a clip from the trailer vid that seems to show only one spearman until they're right clicked on and then options for several units appear. All of which is going to be a real test of memory!

David
Arg!

Regarding the issue of artillery in an army: I would think that would be pretty useless: no HP to pool, and no benefit of ranged combat due to the presence of direct-contact units in the army. So I guesstimate that artillery is not going to be part of an army in this way.
Old October 21, 2001, 06:47   #18
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
Nope. There's nowhere on the tech tree showing it. Yet there is for planting forests and building railroads so you can bet there's not pretty safely.

Quote:
2) Do you have to build a unit called "Army" to be able to form an army, or is that "Army" unit in the screenshot just an ordinary cavalry with new animation?
You can create units ( a kind of transport type thing ) to put your armies in by turning your great leader into one or building one with your military academy. Only three units can go in an army ( four once you've bult your pentagon ) and you can only have one army for every four cities. No one who doesn't have the game is sure of the exact mechanics of it but that's it in a nutshell.

Quote:
3) Can you put different types of units in the same army (e.g. can you make an army with a Cavalry, a Cannon, and a Musketmen)?
"Of course" - Dan Magha

Quote:
4) If you can mix different unit types in an army, is it beneficial to have units that can bombard and units with strong attack (e.g. Catapults and Knights) in the same army as it was in Call to Power 2, or is it better to just have an army of good attackers and no bombarders (e.g. all Swordsmen)?
Well I quote Dan M again when I say "Oh course" to the different unit types. As to what is better we'll have to see just how it works and then do lots of experimentation.

And can I say for all the others that artillery units WILL be useable outside an army.
Old October 22, 2001, 02:30   #19
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Faboba,

Where did you find this info?
Old October 27, 2001, 16:51   #20
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Most of these questions have been answered by the most updated FAQ on the Civ3 website.

1) Most likely you can't make airbases.

2) You have to build a unit called "Army" to form an army, or use a great leader.

3) You can mix different unit types most likely, but no artillery units can be in an army.

4) See 3.
Old October 27, 2001, 17:05   #21
Haphazard
Warlord

For number 3 read definite. As Dan said somewhere, probably on the topic discussing last weeks screenshot of the week, armies move at the rate of the slowest unit. Therefore different ones in the army.
Old October 27, 2001, 17:39   #22
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
I got this info from Dan, screen shots, offical releases and a bit of god-damn common sense / initiative.

The airbases are either -

Not in the game - 70% chance
Allowed by a wonder - 18 % chance.
Stuck in the game at the last minute - 10%
Available right from the ancient age - 2%

And has been revealed recently artillery units cannot be in an army meaning units but in an army must be -

Land units.
NOT non-combatant
NOT artillery units.
Old October 27, 2001, 20:44   #23
Mars
Prince

Re: Re: Four Questions...
Quote:
And has been revealed recently artillery units cannot be in an army meaning units but in an army must be -

Land units.
NOT non-combatant
NOT artillery units.
It makes sense for armies to be only combatant units, although i still have a problem with them not being able to be made of sea units, but oh well

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
I got this info from Dan, screen shots, offical releases and a bit of god-damn common sense / initiative.

The airbases are either -

Not in the game - 70% chance
Allowed by a wonder - 18 % chance.
Stuck in the game at the last minute - 10%
Available right from the ancient age - 2%
why wouldn't airbases be in, and why would they require a wonder. Airbases can still increase the ability of your airunits. And why the hell would they require a wonder

really a 2% chance of being able to build one from teh begining of the game, i would give it a .01% chance
Old October 28, 2001, 01:18   #24
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback

David
in civ2, there was at least the doubled shield when you had more than one unit on a square. CTP did one better (for once) and listed the number of units in a stack with a little number next to it.

They should have something to help us out....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn