Old October 19, 2001, 17:32   #1
Spathi
Settler

Local Time: 06:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Minor Wonders... Does anybody know...
Does anybody know if wonders are still built in cities like they have always been, or if they sort of exist as a delocalized waveform throughout your civilization? The reason I ask is that it seems that many of the wonders we've seen have been concepts (like battlefield medicine) rather than construction projects like they used to be. The reason I ask is that we've heard that all civilizations can get each minor wonder. If these are built in cities, how do they work if the home city is captured by another civilization? Can you rebuild that wonder, or is it lost for good? If you recapture that city, do you get it back? What if you have a minor wonder and capture the host city of that wonder for another civ? Do you get two, or is it gone for good, even if the city's original owner recaptures it?

Any Firaxians out there who can answer this?

With great anticipation,
Spathi
Old October 19, 2001, 17:48   #2
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 15:54
I've seen all those questions answered officially. Can't quote them word by word off the top of my head, so go look for it at Civ3.com or Apolyton.. possibly in some of the previews or interviews in game magazines as well.

Cheers!

Fred
Old October 19, 2001, 17:49   #3
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:54
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
*Faboba stands up, gives his name and admits he is not a firaxaholic.

Now that's out of the way - YES wonders are built in cities, we've had umpteen screenshots of wonders ( minor and major ) being built in cities still.

It would get too complicated otherwise.
Old October 19, 2001, 17:50   #4
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Heeeey.... I just became Chieftain!! Let the celebrations begin! Cookies all around!!

Fred
Old October 19, 2001, 18:40   #5
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah, they are definitely build in cities.

Chieftain? Pah! You'll have a long time until you make the dizzy heights of a Deity

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 19, 2001, 19:27   #6
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I seem to recall that when a city is captured any small wonders in it get destroyed. I'm pretty sure they would stay destroyed if you recapture the city.
Old October 19, 2001, 19:28   #7
Spathi
Settler

Local Time: 06:54
Yes, I figured they'll be built in cities (I've seen the screenshots, after all). My questions were:

1. Since many of the minor wonders don't seem to be construction projects, e.g., Battlefield Medicine, do they remain in the city upon construction (I would think so, given screenshots, but confirmation is always nice), or do they, after being built, benefit your empire as a whole without actually doing anything in that particular city? An example of this would be spaceship parts, which, after construction in one of your cities, float around in the atmosphere. A better example is probably an orbital facility like the Sky Hydroponics lab from SMAC, which needed to be built in a city, but after being built gave ALL your bases +1 food, and couldn't be captured.

This is the more important part of my question:

2. If the MINOR wonders stay in cities, what happens when the city they are in is captured? Can you rebuild it? If you recapture the city, is the wonder still there? If it's still there when you recapture, does it matter if the owning civilization already had a copy of that minor wonder? If you capture a city with somebody else's minor wonder, do you get its benefits? Can you get these benefits even if you don't have the prerequisites (like the five banks for Wall Street)? If you have a minor wonder, and you capture somebody else's copy, can you get twice the benefits?

Ahh, my lords, it is indeed painful to have to sit upon a woolsack which is stuffed with such thorns as these!

So, anybody know the answers?

Spathi
Old October 19, 2001, 19:57   #8
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
From the developer update http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_wonders.cfm
Quote:
Also, Small Wonders in a city are destroyed when that city is captured, whereas Great Wonders can be captured. Finally, while Great Wonders can be made obsolete by new technologies, Small Wonders cannot.
I guess the real question is what happens when you lose a small wonder... can you rebuild it or is it lost forever? My guess is because they never obsolete you can rebuild it.
I also wouldn't be suprised if your allowed to relocate small wonders, in much the same way as you could relocate your palace in Civ2.
Old October 19, 2001, 20:01   #9
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 14:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Spathi
2. If the MINOR wonders stay in cities, what happens when the city they are in is captured? Can you rebuild it? If you recapture the city, is the wonder still there? If it's still there when you recapture, does it matter if the owning civilization already had a copy of that minor wonder? If you capture a city with somebody else's minor wonder, do you get its benefits? Can you get these benefits even if you don't have the prerequisites (like the five banks for Wall Street)? If you have a minor wonder, and you capture somebody else's copy, can you get twice the benefits?
From what I understand, when you seize a city, any minor wonders in the city are destroyed. If the city is retaken by the original civ, they have to rebuild the minor wonder (assuming they hadn't done so already.) This prevents a civ from having multiple copies of a minor wonder.
Old October 19, 2001, 23:50   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:54
Some Great Wonders such as Cure for Cancer and Universal Suffrage aren't concrete objects either.

Provost,

Dirty spammer!
Old October 20, 2001, 00:29   #11
tniem
King

Local Time: 09:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Provost,

Dirty spammer!
Yeah, but I doubt that even Provost could rise as fast as he did with the present no OT post count rules in effect.