Old October 21, 2001, 12:22   #31
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, I will gladly help when the oppurtunity (me finding a bug) presents itself. Normally I would have committed myself to a greater (more important) position than bug hunter, but I'm not sure if I would be able to live up to that committment because of possible time restraints that might occur for myself. With that being said I am going to try my best to contribute to the 'bug list'.

BTW, thank you especially Korn and also everybody else for willing to donate your time for the better of the Civ community.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 21, 2001, 12:52   #32
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:54
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
Provost Harrison

hehe cool
how does this sound, you get 3 points if you are the first person to post a bug that later gets verified and you get 2 points if you are the first person who verifies a bug...however a person cannot verify their own bugs

so using this thread as an example (this thread is certainly not the official bug list, it is just a sign up thread for bug hunters)

since you were the first person to post about the editor screen bug you would get three points and since grampos verified it he would get two points

also i will award a free point if the bug is especially nasty...like if you hit alt tab and it erases your hard drive or something
You could always just reopen the list forum.

'Cept now call it "List of suggestions for Civ III PATCH for Firaxis
Old October 22, 2001, 05:50   #33
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 09:54
anyone else wanna help out?
Old October 22, 2001, 06:24   #34
heardie
Prince

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Korn,

As you can see from the 'Bugs' section of http://www.trakoria.f2s.com I originally had an idea of an on-line bug database with as much info, pictures and savefiles available. I would be more then happy to work in collaboration with you and your 'team' to get this up and running. Unfortunatly it appears Civ3 will not be out in Australia till the 19th of November, so I persoanlly will not be able to help till then. What do you think?
Old October 22, 2001, 06:32   #35
korn469
Emperor

heardie

well you will only be a few weeks behind so there will be plenty of time for your help

Quote:
originally had an idea of an on-line bug database with as much info, pictures and savefiles available
that it probably slightly more than we need...a detailed description and a savegame should be enough, we would only put in more effort if firaxis request more info etc for a certain bug

hopefully firaxis will move fairly quickly on the patches so we will at least have to worry about all new sets of bugs as the game evolves...but i would love to have your help, the more people that help the better the final outcome and the less work any one person has to do
Old October 22, 2001, 10:44   #36
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisShaffer

Huh? I dunno about you, but I want the AI to be the smartest, meanest, sneakiest, best opponent possible.
Be careful what you wish for! I wonder how long anyone would play if the AI beat you every time, no matter how hard you tried?
Old October 22, 2001, 11:24   #37
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 08:54
Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy

Be careful what you wish for! I wonder how long anyone would play if the AI beat you every time, no matter how hard you tried?
I said I wanted the best AI possible, not that I wanted an AI that can beat me every time I play. You assume that it's possible to program an AI that can do this, I don't. I think the best possible AI will provide a decent challenge, not that it will be insurmountable.
Old October 22, 2001, 16:52   #38
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 10:54
I love the idea of a locked, topped thread where bugs are listed in Firaxis's preferred format. Just what I had in mind. An added recommendation: fixed bugs should be kept on the list, marked as "fixed in patch x.xx". This keeps "old" bugs from being reported, and also gives an indication of weakenesses in the code (often the same bug keeps popping up under different guises).

I volunteer as a bug hunter and verifier. I see the MP develpment time as an ideal opportunity to tighten up the game.

Pedantry alert:

The screenshot in this thread shows dates as, e.g., "250 AD." Correct form is "AD 250", as in Civ II.
Old October 22, 2001, 17:07   #39
korn469
Emperor

here is the firaxis responce
Quote:
I talked with the QA team and they asked that you guys send reproducable
bugs to bugreport@firaxis.com.

Thanks.

Kelley

Kelley Gilmore
Communications Manager
Firaxis Games
410-891-3001 x131
kgilmore@firaxis.com
so that means we need a detailed description of the bug and at least one save game that reproduces the bug...so it looks like we are on track

i suggestion that only the bug list admins send the bug report and the save game, and when they do they post "sent to firaxis" so we don't flood their inbox with the reports of the same bug

DaveV

i really liked your idea about putting a fixed in patch x.xx beside of the bugs firaxis has taken care of, so consider that done
Old October 22, 2001, 17:48   #40
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Okeldedokey!
Old October 22, 2001, 18:51   #41
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Korn,

I just wanted to say thanks for starting such a professional, well thought out thread. It's so refreshing to see this kind of thinking, instead of mindless blather and gripes. It is good to see somebody like you posting on Apolyton.

Thanks.
Old October 22, 2001, 19:17   #42
korn469
Emperor

Colonel Kraken

hey no problem, i believe that if we work together as a team (again ) that we could really help firaxis out, i just hope this has a lot of participation
Old October 23, 2001, 10:42   #43
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:54
So, who will be the list admins?
Old October 23, 2001, 12:25   #44
korn469
Emperor

well whoever volunteers to be first come first serve basis until we have five, so if that is a yes, then it is you and me so far as list admins, with possibly skanky burns and tniem
Old October 23, 2001, 13:03   #45
Master Marcus
Prince

I wish I'd help, bur I simply don't have the time. I don't even have the time right now to play at my content, so just imagine when Civ III AND MoO3 will be both released....aargggh! One thing's for sure: I WON'T have the time to check EVERY DAY the upcoming bug list. At least I can report any bug I'll find, and I'll do it gladly, but without checking if it is already and widely spotted. If you want I can eventually VERIFY specific bug(s) within a particular game I'm playing - it can be a good idea also if some MORE available apolytoners can organize a group which each player is playing a different game with distinct starting settings, thus seeing how bugs are widely imprinted in the whole game ( just an idea, again I share thoughts here at Apolyton as often as I can- but I really like to keep the spare moments I have for playing ). So my hat is off to you all workaholics working as a team for the civ community.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:47   #46
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I'm in as an admin.
Old October 29, 2001, 14:41   #47
korn469
Emperor

ok is everyone ready to go?
Old October 29, 2001, 15:06   #48
Ironwolf
Chieftain

This is great, only in the Civ community do you see this kind of cooperation.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:15   #49
wal35
Chieftain

First off I think this is an excellent idea.

Secondly unfortunately my involvement will be similar to dennis580 i'll gladly report any errors when I find them but it won't be my primary concern. Anyway by the time Civ3 reaches the UK shelves you'll have found the all the bugs

Thirdly like many others here software development is my day job and can I raise a note of caution. Make sure the bug log is just that - a record of errors in the software and not a wish list or change request list. By all means create separate lists for such things but nothing irritates developers more (in my experience) than change requests being logged as bugs and any such inclusions may make Firaxis less enthusiastic towards the bug list, which none of us want.
Old October 29, 2001, 17:16   #50
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I'm ready, and will be here a lot while I wait for Civ II. When I have it I'll also be here a lot, but not as mush as in the time I wait.

Will you create a new thread? In what Forum, the new Help forum?
Old October 29, 2001, 17:52   #51
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

i'm willing to help in a limited role -- i'd be willing to report whatever bugs I find and 'check out' some stuff from time to time -- mainly, if this is open to the public, then i'd be willing to participate, but I don't want to make an obligation to it considering that I don't know how often or how much I'll be willing to do -- for me, playing the game ranks higher than going out and trying to find bugs.

in other words, i'm with those other people who are offering to report bugs and help out a bit, but not devote their lives to it .

-- adaMada

PS: If you do this, I think you really should try to get an admin. to set up a special forum for it -- it'll make it all go a lot easier. If you can't get that, then at least try to convince one of them to 'top' it -- that's probably how you'll get the most support, from random civers who are willing to stop by and "report" a bug they encounter while playing. Just my two-bits...
Old October 29, 2001, 17:56   #52
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I'll provide a link to the Bug list that was started by korn469.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=30959
Old October 29, 2001, 19:03   #53
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Seing as your lacking in the admin department currently, ill volunteer for the job as well
Old October 29, 2001, 19:16   #54
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

When a admin sends in bugs should he/she send one bug per mail, or should more bugs be combined within the same mail. What is best for Firaxis?
Old October 29, 2001, 19:30   #55
korn469
Emperor

ok a few last minute changes

*instead of having people each new bug in a thread, we will instead have people post bugs in the same thread for now, and we will stick with this unless it becomes unmanagable

*we will send one mass mailing of the list to firaxis every friday

*admins make sure that the list is up to date, so that means they check and make sure all reported bugs are on the list

*the list will have two categories...verified bugs, and unverified

how does all of that sound?
Old October 29, 2001, 19:44   #56
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

It sounds good. Only one thing: Where will the list be kept? As only the one that posts a message can edit it we can't keep it in the first post unless you became a superior list admin that edit the first post after the other admins have posted an updated list in the bottom of the thread.
Old October 29, 2001, 20:07   #57
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Yep, sounds fine to me
Old October 29, 2001, 21:15   #58
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
Let's get a whole new forum created for this bug list. Like the suggestions list had.
Old October 29, 2001, 21:31   #59
korn469
Emperor

GP

it's the help forum
hmmm think we should petition mark to change it to the help/bug reports forum?
Old October 29, 2001, 21:38   #60
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

There's a civ3 help forum??
I say have 2 or 3 posts in the same thread by the admins then Korn or someone takes those 3 posts and puts them into one post. The admins posts should all have different bugs in them.