Old October 20, 2001, 09:27   #1
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 09:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
build queue for new cities
I was thinking about how long it will take for the first border expansion (10 culture points). For your first city, it's been mentioned many times that it should take 10 turns since your palace generates 1 culture point per turn at the start. However for subsequent cities, you would have to build something first (probably a temple or a library) before you start accumulating culture points.

This should have a fairly strong impact on the initial build queue strategy for newly founded cities (other than the capital). My usual strategy in Civ2 was phalanx-settler-phalanx-settler until I ran out of space for new cities. Not that I play ICS - I spaced out my cities, but I still wanted to get them founded as early as possible. I usually wouldn't get around to building temples or libraries until there was no more room for new cities.

But clearly I will have to rethink that strategy in Civ3. Getting the 1st border expansion could be very important, both for gaining access to resources without having to build colonies and for linking up your city borders to keep the bad guys out. So now I may have to consider building temples or libraries much earlier, which will necessarily slow down my expansion.

Thoughts anyone?
Old October 20, 2001, 09:49   #2
Dutch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:55
I play the more perfectionist style. I like to build four or five cities, and then start building roads and city improvements. Of course I found new cities at the same time, but I am not very happy with the twenty-tiny-cities-with-no-improvements strategy. I like to have a coherent empire from the very beginning, so this new culture system should fit in perfectly with my plans.
Old October 20, 2001, 09:50   #3
Dutch
Chieftain

Impressive. After two years of posting the title of Chieftain is mine at last.
Old October 20, 2001, 09:51   #4
albiedamned
Prince

I play the perfectionist style too (I'm a builder, baby!). I just don't start perfecting as early as you I guess. I like to get a whole bunch of cities started, then start perfecting them all.
Old October 20, 2001, 09:58   #5
Dutch
Chieftain

Guess I works out well your way, too. But when I said improvements, I really meant wonders. I try to nail a couple of those early in the game, which means that I tie up production in certain cities for a long time. It pays to improve roads and irrigate around those cities, so that they grow faster (but not too fast, lest the babies are born depressive) and accumulate more shields.
Old October 20, 2001, 10:03   #6
albiedamned
Prince

Sounds like we play virtually the same style. I go for Oracle as quickly as possible, and Great Library too if I'm isolated and can't trade with anyone. Prior to starting the wonder, I have to get a temple in the city and get a settler improving the surrounding tiles, both irrigation to speed growth (which results in more shields), and mining if there are any hills.

But we're getting off my original topic. I don't normally build temples right away - I usually build more settlers first. But now I may have to consider building the temple before the settlers, in order to get those culture points going. In fact, with the new 2 pop point requirement for settlers, I may not have a choice anyway.