Old February 23, 2000, 12:32   #1
Krusty

Seasons Modpack
Civilizations in the past have had to suffer the seasons. I thought it may be possible to make these terrains:

Winter Trees
Spring Trees
Summer Trees
Autumn/Fall Trees

Winter Flats
Spring Flats
Summer Flats
Autumn Flats

Warm Hills (Spring & Summer)
Cold Hills (Autumn & Winter)

Obviously all these terrains would produce different things at different times of the year. Summer would produce extra food, winter extra trade (people paying for winter clothes, people buying skiing stuff).

They would all look different too

Old February 23, 2000, 12:35   #2
Krusty

forgot to mention, these seasons would cycle around the globe.

*Spring ------> *Summer

*Winter <---- *Autumn

Old February 23, 2000, 21:53   #3
KhanMan
Prince

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You could have each turn be a season of a year, and add an event that changes the terrain to the new season style...but that would mean you'd have a lot fewer terrain types, unless I'm missing something?

Or did you mean creating one set of terrain pics for each season, and using one season a game?

-KM
"Veni, Vidi, Demonstrati"
Old February 24, 2000, 07:27   #4
Krusty

Yes, you`d have an event which cycled the seasons every turn, one side effect of this though, is that you would lose terrain types.

Old February 24, 2000, 18:48   #5
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 01:05
You can`t have events that would cycle seasons. If you`ve played Red Front, you can do what Nemo did and use .bat files to swap files around, but that`s the only way I know. And doing every turn would also get extremely annoying, having to save your game, switch back to Windows, run the .bat file, reload your game. And by doing once every turn, the effects would be minimal (only one turn of winter wouldn`t really affect anything).
Old February 25, 2000, 04:22   #6
KhanMan
Prince

Actually, you can. All you have to do is set an event to trigger every turn (and write one for each turn) that changes every single square into the new terrain choices...this is extremely tedious, but possible...

...if you don't believe me, check out the atlantis scenario: it gives a general example of terrain changes when the islands of atlantis sink, and also random ones when the volcanoes errupt...

"Pantas helloi estin me"
-KhanMan
Old February 25, 2000, 09:09   #7
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 01:05
Oh, right, I see what you`re getting at. However, as Krusty points out, you`d lose lots of terrain types (you`d have about two for your map which would change each season), and you`d most likely run out of space for events if you did decide to change each one every turn. A good idea, but not a practical one.
Old February 25, 2000, 12:39   #8
Captain Nemo
Prince

Not a good idea... When you change a terrain square via the events all improvements on the square are destroyed (Including cities) and all units are killed... When Atlantis sinks into the ocean it's appropriate but it's a little drastic for a first snowfall?

I think the way I did it in Red Front would carry over to many other scenarios with great possibilities, especially in medieval times when winter played such a great role in peoples lives (Famine, blocked roads) throw in a few "Barbarian" wolves and you have the perfect setting for the winters during the 100 year war...

I already made spring and fall terrain to go with the summer and winter terrain from Red Front.
Old February 25, 2000, 14:29   #9
Krusty

Oh well, it was a good idea, but the engine can`t cope with it

Old February 25, 2000, 14:29   #10
Krusty

Oh well, it was a good idea, but the engine can`t cope with it

Old February 26, 2000, 14:38   #11
Krusty

Double Post

Old February 26, 2000, 14:38   #12
Krusty

Double Post

Old February 26, 2000, 16:09   #13
Pano
Chieftain

I think it's possible to change the Rules files and the terrains files every turn. If there is only one application which change the files you can keep it open during your game and do it very quickly. Then you'll "only" have to :
1- save the game
2- select the incon of the application
3- press enter
4- reload the game
because the application would know which turn you're playing.

I wanted to make a scenario with this but I think I won't have enough time to do it well. So I've decided to make only this application in order it could be use by any scenario designer. I'll write it in Perl. The problem is that I've started make this utility... today ! But I think within one or two months I will have finished a first version.

------------------
Pano
http://testi.cti.ecp.fr/~pano

Old February 28, 2000, 19:55   #14
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 16:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Could a new rules.txt be swapped-in/edited without changing the terrain? You could change the effect of the terrain without changing the tiles. Not a very elegant solution, but might have some applications.

I have been tinkering around with a 1930's dustbowl scenario, and I wonder if this would work???
Old February 29, 2000, 05:33   #15
Pano
Chieftain

Yes you could change only the Rules files but you could also change the terrains files. You'll have to write your instructions in a text file like this :
@MAKERULES@ file1
@CHANGETERRAINS@ file2
and even
@CHANGEEVENTS@ file3

------------------
Pano
http://testi.cti.ecp.fr/~pano