Old October 23, 2001, 17:32   #1
The Rook
Warlord

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rebellions?
I read somwhere that a new civilization can break off from an older civilization (Like the Americans did in 1776.) Is this true? I vaguely remember this happening in Civ I, but not Civ II.

Also, I'm hoping with the new changes that have been implimented, the game can be played in a more realistic fashion. In the early ages, borders changed hands rapidly. Everybody was conquering everybody else. Nowadays, borders are more or less rigid. I'd love to see territorial hotspots though, like the Falklands, Tawain, and those islands that Japan and Russia constantly bicker over. I don't think the AI is that advanced though.

Another thing, in all my time playing Civilization, I never had a "World War." Wars seem to start and end on a whim. Sometimes I will get all geared up to take on the bad guys, and they would sue for peace as soon as my tanks start rolling in. Hitler fought to the end!

Just my thoughts.
Old October 23, 2001, 17:46   #2
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
I don't know why people think this, but rebellions did occur in Civ II when your capital fell at least.

Well I think in the early ages borders will be smaller, not as connected, so you will get more conflict. Eventually your civs borders will be unified and you will have a national border, so that you have a real country. I think this might happen in that case.

I'm hoping that a Militaristic civ (which the Germans are) will fight to the end. I did have a few World Wars, however most of the time they were the world against me! No group of a few allies versus another group of a few allies.

But it looks like diplomacy is improved so as always, we'll see. One week (sounds shorter than 7 days)
Old October 23, 2001, 18:39   #3
Mars
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
I don't know why people think this, but rebellions did occur in Civ II when your capital fell at least.
the chances of the civil wars were low.

Quote:
I Hope there are rebellions in CIV 3 too.

Quote:
Another thing, in all my time playing Civilization, I never had a "World War." Wars seem to start and end on a whim. Sometimes I will get all geared up to take on the bad guys, and they would sue for peace as soon as my tanks start rolling in. Hitler fought to the end!
I don't know what you are talking about i was always at war with every one allied against me, quite annoying IMO.
Old October 23, 2001, 19:02   #4
Pseud0nym
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:04
I've had a few world wars. I've had to make my allies though. You choose a civ that is getting pounded on, and you keep giving them techs and units and gold and even some cities. Also worked that way in SMAC. If you don't make your allies though, yes it does tend to be everyone vs. you.

Btw; I've never played CTP or CTP2... WHat exactly is my icon spost to be? I mean, a tv-head?
Old October 23, 2001, 19:36   #5
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pseud0nym
I've had a few world wars. I've had to make my allies though. You choose a civ that is getting pounded on, and you keep giving them techs and units and gold and even some cities. Also worked that way in SMAC. If you don't make your allies though, yes it does tend to be everyone vs. you.

Btw; I've never played CTP or CTP2... WHat exactly is my icon spost to be? I mean, a tv-head?
Now we will have real allies though because you will want to trade.

Anyway, why did you choose that icon if you don't know what is it??? It's a Televangelist... another poorly implemented CTP idea.
Old October 23, 2001, 20:28   #6
N_A
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:04
Which brings up an interesting point, will you be able to do wars without necessarily having to conquer people for good. Kind of like "police actions," or just like World Wars in general. So you would have an option to occupy, but leave after the war and diplomacy stuff is finished.

Last thing which I don't think will ever exist is if your civ is defeated, but you have some units with which you might run a revolution to regain your empire.
Old October 23, 2001, 20:32   #7
Pseud0nym
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

Anyway, why did you choose that icon if you don't know what is it??? It's a Televangelist... another poorly implemented CTP idea.
Because I have a cathode ray tube for a brain and a phospor coated screen for a face.
Old October 23, 2001, 20:37   #8
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by N_A
Which brings up an interesting point, will you be able to do wars without necessarily having to conquer people for good. Kind of like "police actions," or just like World Wars in general. So you would have an option to occupy, but leave after the war and diplomacy stuff is finished.
I think you might be able to threaten the civ enough to get a right of passage act. Then you could build fortresses in their country and setup a military presence. And you can always just send forth bombers and cruise missiles.

Quote:
Last thing which I don't think will ever exist is if your civ is defeated, but you have some units with which you might run a revolution to regain your empire.
I think partisans are out, and I'm pretty sure I saw a screen where your last city was taken and the game was lost. I guess your people lose hope when all is lost. It'd be kinda boring anyway to wait hundreds of turns, hoping your people revolted without doing anything else.
Old October 23, 2001, 20:40   #9
Mars
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pseud0nym
Because I have a cathode ray tube for a brain and a phospor coated screen for a face.

And, Lorizael, how dare you say the televanglist was poorly implemented. It was cool. You didn't even play the game that far did you. Yah, thought so.
Old October 23, 2001, 20:46   #10
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Actually I did get that far!

I just think the whole idea of running Televangelists or Subneural ads across the world was a step backwards. That's why I'm gonna like the abstract form of Espionage Civ III has. And you can convert people through cultural assimilation, of which religion has a lot to do with.

Thank you Pseudo for that enlightening answer... lol
Old October 24, 2001, 13:02   #11
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:04
So will the city's population head for the
surroinding hills (=forms Partisans units), if someone
captures the city and you have invented Guerilla Warfare?
Could someone make this clear for me, please?
Old October 24, 2001, 17:10   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
So will the city's population head for the
surroinding hills (=forms Partisans units), if someone
captures the city and you have invented Guerilla Warfare?
Could someone make this clear for me, please?
A game that is truly about human civilization would have to have predetermined name sets for possible rebellions. What if the English defeated the Americans and kept control of the "colonies"? Life would be a lot different and there would be no American civilization. I think maybe this type of idea could be on a Civ 4 wish list. I'm going to be too busy playing Civ 3 to care though .
Old October 24, 2001, 18:14   #13
Civ Dave
Chieftain

PeaceKeeping
Quote:
Originally posted by N_A

sort of like peacekeeping.
That'd be cool, like if another civ was commiting atrocities to their people (working them too had) you can ratioinalize a war against them that would kill their military and take control of the city for X number of turns

Bosnia or Kosovo anyone?
Old October 25, 2001, 16:11   #14
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin

A game that is truly about human civilization would have to have predetermined name sets for possible rebellions. What if the English defeated the Americans and kept control of the "colonies"? Life would be a lot different and there would be no American civilization. I think maybe this type of idea could be on a Civ 4 wish list. I'm going to be too busy playing Civ 3 to care though .
Nah in Civ IV I wanna get away from predetermined things like that. Instead you could do it this way.

You are the Greeks and the city of Sparta is in disorder. The city causes an eventual rebellion and several cities break off from you.

So now you have the Greeks and the Spartan Civilizations... that would be cool.