Old October 24, 2001, 05:22   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 11:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
VERY interesting bits from a Korean review...
First, the credit for finding this article goes to Anatolia who found the article and talked about it a bit here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=30290. But since the title of his thread is about the release date in Korea, I thought people might miss this. (Hope you don't mind, Anatolia! ) And while I am by no means an expert translator, I found the following parts to be VERY interesting for two reasons:

1) You can see how much a history game matters to a people who have gotten the short end of the stick in history books for the past 100 years and;
2) This guy gives the most info on AI yet from ANY review I have seen.

Quote:
The most elaborate change in ver. 1.0 is certainly in diplomacy. In Civ. 3, 16 civilizations make their appearance. From the most famous Romans to the Japanese (why they were put in, I have no idea), nearly all the great ancient civilizations are included. While a Starcraft master can beat 7 computer opponents, it is a question whether such a thing is possible in Civ3. This is because the AI is no joke.
Quote:
But no matter how friendly I tried to be, eventually you have to go to war. In the early stages, you can keep diplomatic relations even. But as time goes by, differences appear in the relationships between countries and the requests become unreasonable. You can refuse kindly about two times, but that, too, has its limits. Eventually diplomacy fails and you are thrown into battle.
Quote:
Once, this thing happened: About the middle of the game, suddenly France requested an alliance. It was no simple alliance as I was now expected to attack Persia. At the time, Persia and I had no relations whatsoever. As the battle then looked bad for Persia, I happily agreed. Soon I entered the battle against Persia. But Persia wasn't attacking France at all...only me! Now I was getting nervous when suddenly France cut its alliance with me and established peace with Persia, hitting me like a slap in the head. If that's not cause to wonder at the AI, it was a moment when my body nearly fell over in betrayal.
Quote:
Some worries I had as I played Civ3 are the problems of cultural distortion and unit balance. Of course I wasn't pleased to see Japan appear as an ancient civilization, but I was more worried that "Wouldn't this distort history?" Knowing that games are particularly popular among students, it is possible for them to learn the wrong version of history this way. Seriously, there are so many students in the United States who think that The History of the Three Kingdoms is about Japan. This is because KOEI made the game and naturally students would make that assumption. There are fans of this masterpiece series around the world, so we must make sure to remove such errors. And I hope that the unit imbalances from previous Civs will be solved. The key point being that Middle Age units weren't such a problem but consider the 20th century missiles and tanks and the problems of balance there.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 24, 2001, 05:35   #2
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 16:05
Interesting stuff, but I am concerned about the France/Persia affair. I hope this was a deliberate betrayal, not just a stupid AI stupidity.
Old October 24, 2001, 05:36   #3
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 23:05
Re: VERY interesting bits from a Korean review...
"From the most famous Romans to the Japanese"

Nice jab at the Japanese. I'd read it as meaning from the famous to the infamous.
Old October 24, 2001, 05:36   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Earthling7: Yes, I thought exactly the same thing, actually.

By the way, he also said:
Quote:
It's too bad there is no multiplayer.

Old October 24, 2001, 05:39   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Tingkai: His point is that Japan is nowhere near being an ancient empire compared to Korea...or just in general, actually. He never says Korea should come before Japan...but should Japan come before Korea? That is the hidden meaning.

Old October 24, 2001, 06:27   #6
SITS
King

Local Time: 15:05
Thanks for the info Yin. I like hearing how other countries view the world and I can see how Koreans could be miffed at the inclusion of Japan before themselves. Seem to remember reading that it was proved that the Japanese genetically came from Korea which has been an issue between the two cultures for a long time.

It does look like the AI is robust and I like the idea of France stiffing the human like that....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 24, 2001, 06:45   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

No prob, SITS. It's pretty well established that the Japanese culture owes its start to the Koreans...who in turn borrowed a lot from the Chinese but were definitely a culture of their own. Now, since most contemporary players will think of Japan as a 20th century powerhouse, the author of the article is trying to take a broader historical picture...rightfully so from the standpoint of overall history...maybe not such an easy sell, however.

Old October 24, 2001, 06:47   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

More worryingly is why France and Persia were not attacking each other properly. I hope there was a good reason for that. Why could Persia ignore France? Difficult to tell without actually having seen the game played.
Old October 24, 2001, 07:02   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:05
Yin, many thanks! This really is the best information released about AI thus far. If it will really be betrayor often. Well, I will play my first game with 8 civs, not 16, I've changed my mind. And on Warlord, probably. Let's see how good he is. I really hope that even at Warlord it will give me some trouble. Did I miss something, or wasn't it mentioned at which level was the France/Persia thing done. Anyway, if this will happen so often, it's awesome. I'm celebrating this loudly now here.
Old October 24, 2001, 07:16   #10
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 17:05
the France / Persia thing is something that happens in Civ2 all the time
Old October 24, 2001, 07:23   #11
Deathwalker
Prince

I just hope this is not a sign that the AI is even more stupid that Civ 1
Old October 24, 2001, 07:32   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The AI that the reviewer describes sounds A LOT like the AI from SMAC. The kind of stuff he described happens all to often in SMAC diplomacy.

As far as his comments on 'unit inbalances': at first I thought he might be referring to the UUs, but this doesn't seem to be the case..

Quote:
The key point being that Middle Age units weren't such a problem but consider the 20th century missiles and tanks and the problems of balance there.
I am not too sure, but I think he may be saying that once you get the more 'modern' hardware, there just isn't any hope to fight against you. And this does seem to be the case when you look at the Modern Armor stats, and the bombard abilities of the missile. But shouldn't it be that way anyhow? I mean, missiles and M1 tanks against any other ground force-- no contest!

And what's his gripe with Japan anyhow? Yeah, I know- Japan isn't such a big deal in Korea; but they certainly were a big deal in WWII.
Old October 24, 2001, 08:11   #13
Rosacrux
Warlord

Korea vs Japan
I am trying to understand historical duels and among those I have looked over is the famous Korea/Japan thing. Before the numerous wars, invasions etc. etc. the whole thing seems to date back - as previously mentioned - to the beginning of Japan - not the Japanese civilization, that came later and was pretty distinct from the Korean or the Chinese (allthough both Korea and Japan have learned a great deal from their contacts with China).

Here is some data on the establishment of the first Korean settlers (kind of, anyway) in Japan:

Quote:
Before the 200s BCE Japan was very sparsely populated with people who were still using stone tools and living by hunting, fishing and gathering food that grew wild. Then, in 200s, on Japan’s major southern island, Kyushu, a culture with iron, bronze, tool making and wet-rice agriculture appeared. The new culture is believed to have come with migrants, perhaps from Korea -- the shortest distance from the Asian mainland, where such ways of living already existed.

People with the new culture, called Yayoi-Japanese, expanded against native people, and around the time of Jesus they reached the Kanto plain, where Tokyo would one day be. They raised horses and cows, hunted and fished, and grew rice where they could. From their contacts with the Asian mainland they acquired the potter's wheel, and they improved their kiln techniques. From China and Korea they imported coins, bronze mirrors, bracelets and beads, iron and bronze knives and swords. They began smelting their own iron, making swords, saws, nails and clamps.

With a greater supply of food, the population of the Yayoi-Japanese grew rapidly. They were perhaps healthier than other peoples in Japan, and they continued to spread and to displace native peoples. By the year 100 (in the Common Era) the agricultural Japanese had pushed into northeastern Honshu. They pushed against and absorbed those called Ainu, who are believed to have lived more in the northern half of -- a people with blue eyes and lighter skins, and with more hair than most Asians, perhaps accounting for the greater hairiness of today's Japanese.

Soon a highway system facilitated movement of people and goods, and the Yayoi-Japanese developed a fleet of ships that moved goods up and down Japan's coast and between Japan and the Asian continent. Closer ties between Japan and Korea developed. Literate Koreans and Koreans with other skills were in great demand in Japan, and such Koreans who came to Japan were given noble rank. The Yayoi-Japanese imported iron from Korea, with which they made plows, hoes, sickles, axes, adzes and chisels.

(...) Queen Jingo and her son, Ojin, send a military expedition to Korea. Gentle winds and god-like fish are said to have helped their armada cross the sea to Korea, so that no oars had to be used. Then, according to legend, a vast tidal wave carried the fleet inland, into the kingdom of Silla. The surprised and terrified Koreans are said to have surrendered at once and to have promised to pay homage and tribute to Queen Jingo until the sun rose in the west, rivers flowed backwards and stones turned into stars.

One of the more successful ruling families was the Yamato. The Yamato family dominated the agriculturally productive plain near what are now the cities of Osaka and Kyoto. As elsewhere in the world of civilization and empire, those rulers whom the Yamato conquered remained as local lords and paid tribute to the Yamato ruler. The local lords were watched by Yamato subordinates territorial administrators, technical experts and scribes. A hierarchy of authority had developed, with the local lords remaining proud of their family and conscious of their own powers and potential powers.

The Yamato rulers called themselves Tenno, or heavenly ruler, and the Yamato family believed that they were directly descended from Jimmu and the gods and that they ruled by divine right. The Yamato spread their rule northward onto the Kanto plain and to most other areas populated by the Yayoi-Japanese.

During the 300s, the Yamato spread their rule to the southern coast of Korea, to an enclave they called Mimana. Soon the Korean kingdoms of Paekche and Silla were paying the Yamato tribute.

The exempts in bold show the earlier (fictional or historical) conflicts between the two nations. I am sure Yin could come up with something more accurate. This data goes only to 500 AD - if someone wants more for later periods in the Japan-Korea relations, just ask.
Old October 24, 2001, 08:25   #14
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, in case you guys missed my Korea thread earlier, here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=25219 Be warned, it goes VERY off-topic and all over the place at points. Pay attention to the second page where I show you images of what the Japanese did to the Koreans.

As for Korean-Japanese relations, I think you can see they were tense (and still are). What is not in dispute, however, is that Korea seeded Japan. Does this mean Korea should be in Civ3 before Japan? Well, I think it's only part of the story...but an important one.

Anyway, as for the AI described above: If what we have is basically SMAC and Civ2 AI (in diplomacy at least), there will be MAJOR TWEAKING that will have to take place...to put it kindly.

Old October 24, 2001, 08:43   #15
BigBopper
Chieftain

I am very excited about the A.I. (It's from Sid after all). I will asume that its brilliant, until I'm proven wrong. As for a starting level, I plan to start playing at Prince, where the AI is full strength, but doesn't cheat. Hopefully It will kick my butt a few times.
Old October 24, 2001, 08:44   #16
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Well, in case you guys missed my Korea thread earlier, here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=25219 Be warned, it goes VERY off-topic and all over the place at points. Pay attention to the second page where I show you images of what the Japanese did to the Koreans.

As for Korean-Japanese relations, I think you can see they were tense (and still are). What is not in dispute, however, is that Korea seeded Japan. Does this mean Korea should be in Civ3 before Japan? Well, I think it's only part of the story...but an important one.

Anyway, as for the AI described above: If what we have is basically SMAC and Civ2 AI (in diplomacy at least), there will be MAJOR TWEAKING that will have to take place...to put it kindly.
Good post about Korea and Japan Yin.
The curious thing is that I've seen these discussions before about other nations as well (e.a Spain but no Portugal, no vikings in Civ3, Americans not a historic civ etc...), even back in the usenet days this would pop up from time to time. There's something universal about these discussions.

As for the AI. It sound very Civ2'esque to me!
Old October 24, 2001, 08:47   #17
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBopper
I am very excited about the A.I. (It's from Sid after all).

Sid's on the title in name only. Although he had his say in the gamedesign he mostly worked as a playtester for Civ3.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:35   #18
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:05
Alright !! Initial signs show that Soren did a bang up job. Hopefully the initial impressions hold true after the 30th and 300th hour of play.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:42   #19
SITS
King

I think I would side with Japan to be included ahead of Korea. In the same sense that America was colonised by Europeans yet no one really suggests that because of that they shouldn't included. The fact that America is a major civilisation now means they should be included and I think the same argument goes for Japan as well.

Saying that it would be right for Korea to be included in any update and that they have a legitimate right to be included ahead of the Iroquois...

I too hope the AI isn't solely based on the SMAC Diplomatic model. It was enjoyable to play against but sometimes too rigid. (Just to put my post on topic!)
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 24, 2001, 09:47   #20
Zealot
King

Damn! I ranted so much about NOT wanting an AI agressive like in SMAC!

This is the part where we see that a project losing half of its working power is extremely damaging to itself! It seems that Civ3 will have the same engine that was left by Brian & co. in SMAC, because in Firaxis probably there is no one expert enough to create an entirely new engine!
Old October 24, 2001, 10:00   #21
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 17:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling7
Interesting stuff, but I am concerned about the France/Persia affair. I hope this was a deliberate betrayal, not just a stupid AI stupidity.
Smells like the stupid diplomacy AI of MOO2.
The algorythm is something like: "I don't like to be at war with 2 factions. When this happen, I accept peace with the first one to ask".
So,

Case 1:
- you declare war to B (Bad guy)
- you ask A (Ally) for help
- if A agrees, in the same turn, you make peace with B.

Case 2:
- A, at war with B ask you for help
- accept and on next turn make peace with B (possible only if A didn't do it before you)

Boring to death
Old October 24, 2001, 10:10   #22
magnwa
Settler

Sounds to me like the France / Persia thing was a very calculated betrayal. The AI on SMAC does that often.. maintaining vendetta against two or three opponents, and asking you to fight against the fourth, while making a peace treaty with them. The question is, is France stabbing Persia in the back... or is France stabbing YOU in the back?

Magnwa
Old October 24, 2001, 10:13   #23
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:05
Pessimists, you'll eat your words when the game arrives to you!
Old October 24, 2001, 10:45   #24
GoofyBoy
Settler

The whole Japan/Korea thing boils down to "My Kung-Fu is better than your Kung-Fu".

Japan is a major powerhouse today, just like the Greeks or Romans were in ancient history. Unless I'm mistaken, Korea wasn't a world (Western-centric?) powerhouse in the past.

But it is a shame that they didn't include Korea just because they are big computer gamers. Maybe someone could add them with the editor.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:45   #25
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 09:05
That worries me a bit . I hope the having the AI "good" doesn't mean it screws you over at every turn.
Old October 24, 2001, 12:14   #26
wotan321
Warlord

Wow, that discussion of the Persia/France diplomatic event really took the wind out of my sails.... that sounds just like EVERY game of Civ2. As soon as you started winning, everyone stays at war with you the rest of the game. Diplomacy became a non-issue. If the workings of diplomacy are the same for Civ3, it will be a HUGE disappointment. I hope this reviewers game was an aberation.

Every other review made it sound like diplomacy was really working, and peaceful maneurvering was a viable option. Lets hope this is the case.
Old October 24, 2001, 12:14   #27
zoom200
Settler

Local Time: 23:05
Quote:
Originally posted by GoofyBoy
The whole Japan/Korea thing boils down to "My Kung-Fu is better than your Kung-Fu".
Heheh...japan vs korea would be Karate Vs TaeKwando....
but seriously...when the west thinks of asia...do they only think of kungfu...

If that is the case...it would be so cool lying to pple in North America and Europe abt asia...
Old October 24, 2001, 12:26   #28
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

What's amazing to me is to see that the reviewer couldn't keep politics out of the article. Very unprofessional.

I'm a little worried about what the AI did in that scenario because I certainly wouldn't want a good friend of mine to do that kind of crap.

Anyway, I wonder if that would happen if two countries made a "mutual protection pact". Would the other country make peace without you? Would that not be breaking the treaty?
Old October 24, 2001, 12:40   #29
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
Damn! I ranted so much about NOT wanting an AI agressive like in SMAC!

This is the part where we see that a project losing half of its working power is extremely damaging to itself! It seems that Civ3 will have the same engine that was left by Brian & co. in SMAC, because in Firaxis probably there is no one expert enough to create an entirely new engine!
I don't think so. We've known for a long while now, that less then 10% of Civ3 is old engine, that sounds pretty damn new to me.

Also, it sounds to me as if the AI is not like SMAC in aggressiveness. It sounds to me as if the AI is friendly/tolerable enough for most of the early-mid game and only becomes aggressive in the late game. That to me is good. I don't really enjoy the slow pace of ancient combat. Modern wars are much more fun as there is a full industrial base and existing armies and lots of attack options to be used. As long as the AI building its industrial base is very important, I'd be a very happy player.
Old October 24, 2001, 12:42   #30
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
I'm a little worried about what the AI did in that scenario because I certainly wouldn't want a good friend of mine to do that kind of crap.

Anyway, I wonder if that would happen if two countries made a "mutual protection pact". Would the other country make peace without you? Would that not be breaking the treaty?
Well, Pakistan and the Taliban were good friends until a month ago, so I don't see any lack of realism with such a feature. Throw in Germany and Russia in WWII and there's another example of real-world backstabing.