yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 11:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You mean this? (LOL...you're right!)

Second picture, second row: http://www.angelfire.com/nt/Gilgamesh/baghgal.html

(...that took me 15 minutes to find...send cash only please )

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 25, 2001, 04:13   #92
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:06
hehehehehehe
yes, THAT one
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:27   #93
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:06
Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus

I remember Sid saying that some of the specialized units are gone. Spy, Caravan, Paratr......be afraid, be very afraid.
I saw something in one of the previews about the helicopters- they will be able to drop their cargo (foot units) anywhere within their operational range.

This sounds a lot like a para-drop.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:48   #94
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 17:06
I really don't see any point in paratroopers if you can drop any infantry out of the heli

Pherhaps there are different forms of polution. chemical polutoin, and old fashioned polution.
Old October 25, 2001, 08:42   #95
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 10:06
Ya... I'm glad that paratroopers are not going to be handled in the same way that they were last time. It was too easy to use them. Now that you have to employ a helicopter to drop soldiers, it's a much more difficult thing do accomplish, and there's always that risk that your helicopter will be shot down by enemy fighters.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:37   #96
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 16:06
Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
Pherhaps there are different forms of polution. chemical polutoin, and old fashioned polution.
Yeah, I remember someone said that there were going to be 2 types of pollution: nuclear and normal pollution.
Old October 25, 2001, 12:24   #97
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:06
Actually, I don't think the `smoking' cities are what y'all think. I suspect that those cities are in civil disorder and thus are `burning'. A bit like the fireworks you see when they're celebrating WLTK day.

We'll see shortly...

Joe
Old October 25, 2001, 12:39   #98
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I guess no one's captured the CIV 3 Review? Was it there?
Old October 25, 2001, 12:57   #99
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fintilgin
Actually, I don't think the `smoking' cities are what y'all think. I suspect that those cities are in civil disorder and thus are `burning'. A bit like the fireworks you see when they're celebrating WLTK day.

We'll see shortly...

Joe
After seeing the new screenshots on the Korean site, I believe you are correct. They have a picture of a small (size 6) city with no improvements but with the smoky stuff over it. And that city had more unhappy than happy people. So the smoke over the city must mean civil disorder (the city is burning), not pollution.
Old October 25, 2001, 14:30   #100
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
I guess no one's captured the CIV 3 Review? Was it there?
Nope, it wasn't up even though we have it's future web address. Also, after we downloaded the other pages Avault pulled the other ages off the server, so there's nothing else to grab now either, only the screenshots have been left up.
Old October 25, 2001, 15:29   #101
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I can scarcely believe how stupid the web people at Avault are. I don't usually trash people or sites for that matter, but they have got to be a bunch of morons to have let those artifcles get out like this. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you were able to do so Serapis, (good job! ) but I'm just floored by their incredibly poor judgement. How do these guys get webmaster jobs when they do things so fundamentally wrong?

It just makes me laugh!

Maybe I should be their webmaster.
Old October 25, 2001, 15:39   #102
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Quote:
I can scarcely believe how stupid the web people at Avault are. I don't usually trash people or sites for that matter, but they have got to be a bunch of morons to have let those artifcles get out like this.
Relax. It isn't like they were releasing anything they weren't supposed to, like a review before the 22nd.

It's just some articles that relatively few people will read, and they probably didn't expect people to fiddle around with changing the URL to access things that weren't supposed to be read yet. What does it matter that some people got to see them early? They did change it, so no harm done.
Old October 25, 2001, 16:00   #103
SerapisIV
King

dp
Old October 25, 2001, 16:01   #104
SerapisIV
King

The only reason why I tried anything was because I remember CivFanatics always finding hidden pictures (and was always peeved that Apolyton didn't find them first). Also, AVault's web addresses were easy, not like Gamespot's where it's just a bunch of random numbers. It wasn't exactly rocket science, more a factor of boredom at work then anything else.
Old October 25, 2001, 16:05   #105
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I'm not upset or anything, but it's just a really dumb thing to do as a webmaster of a site. The entire point in having a feature on a website and releasing the information gradually is getting the visitors to come back the next day, but now they've blown it. It defeats the purpose of having a CIV 3 feature. And with the amount of people who are fans of this series, it had the potential of getting a lot of unique visitors, and thus, some cash revenue from adds.

Come on... you got to admit... it's a little dumb on their part, and that was my point.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to do it Serapis.
Old October 25, 2001, 16:12   #106
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Quote:
Come on... you got to admit... it's a little dumb on their part, and that was my point.
No, I don't think it was dumb. But this issue is just a matter of opinion.

They've probably done similar things many times in the past with other games and it didn't happen before. The reason it happened now is because Civ has so many obsessive fans who would go to lengths to find these "hidden" links whereas with other games, people didn't care as much. If it hasn't happened before, it just doesn't cross your mind to change your habits.

And I'm not sure why I'm going at such length to argue such a "trivial" topic (no offense intended). Oh well.
Old October 25, 2001, 16:23   #107
ColdFever
Chieftain

Greetings from Germany,
in case somebody is interested, I translated Jeffs very interesting script into German language, you can find it here:

http://www.civ2-forum.gamigo.de/show...?threadid=1311

btw: I also contacted Firaxis some time ago about the possibilty to get the English TXT-Files to start a fan based Civ 3 German translation project, as Michael Wetzel (Infogrames Germany) wrote:
"Because we have problems with the translation there will be no German
version until march."

I bet we, the loving fans, could have done it until November - but the producers refused to send us the files - so as soon as anybody else has the English TXT-files, please give me a call via ICQ 93177957.

Best regards
ColdFever, Germany
Old October 25, 2001, 19:01   #108
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ColdFever
"Because we have problems with the translation there will be no German version until march."

6 months to translate a few text files from English into German?

Is this incompetence gone crazy, or what?

I very rarely call someone a moron, but the people at Infogrames Germany seem to deserve that title.

Personally, I will happily play the US version -will have it about one week after release in US -, but it´s unfair to German 12 year olds, and to those that didn´t have English at school.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old October 25, 2001, 19:20   #109
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Is this incompetence gone crazy, or what?

I very rarely call someone a moron, but the people at Infogrames Germany seem to deserve that title.
I wouldn't call it incompetance, Infogrames is a French company. The French rush to translate into German? I think its a little payback, for past "grievances."
Old October 25, 2001, 20:06   #110
Cre8engr
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

hehehe
"leave the parrots out" hehehehehehehehe
Old October 26, 2001, 17:27   #111
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
Doesn't the spaceship look phallic? I know that spaceships are usually shaped like cylynders, but it seems like they went out of their way to make it look this way, especially the spaceship outline at the Korean website.

http://www.gameturbo.com/pre_view/pr...depth=2&page=1
Old October 27, 2001, 14:19   #112
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:06
I was wondering Seraphis, if you could get to the Civ3 review through the review seciton of Avault instead of going through the civ features.
Old October 27, 2001, 14:22   #113
SerapisIV
King

Nope, never was posted, probably hasn't even been written yet. Besides that AVault ripped all the "not-supposed-to-be-posted-yet" stuff within an hour of Apol finding the links
Old October 27, 2001, 15:16   #114
vincentz
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:06
To me the pollution looks different in every tile. I guess the shape of it is random, which is way cooler than a skull, or what?
Old October 29, 2001, 03:01   #115
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I just read the "Overall Strategies" section on Avault. It seems that most of the time in the first 3 eras of the game is spent gearing up for the modern age. SO, basically, no massiver medievil of ancient wars - which, to me, is a bit disappointing. I mean, in real life, I don't think the Romans were considering just preparing for the "end game" - and they got to fight massive wars and control the (known) world.

Civ2 was much the same way - there just wasn't enough "time" (in terms of number of years per turn) to wage any meaningful campaigns against enemies unless they were on the same continent.
Old October 29, 2001, 03:11   #116
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah, in Civ 2 i could build up a strong early army and conquer most of the world before the imperial ages which left the modern age not so exciting at all. In Civ 3 even Firaxis confirmed this was no longer possible as all the civs now tend to stay in the game until the end.
Old October 29, 2001, 08:51   #117
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzin
Well, I just read the "Overall Strategies" section on Avault. It seems that most of the time in the first 3 eras of the game is spent gearing up for the modern age. SO, basically, no massiver medievil of ancient wars - which, to me, is a bit disappointing. I mean, in real life, I don't think the Romans were considering just preparing for the "end game" - and they got to fight massive wars and control the (known) world.

Civ2 was much the same way - there just wasn't enough "time" (in terms of number of years per turn) to wage any meaningful campaigns against enemies unless they were on the same continent.
There was a lot of interesting info in the AVault Strategy Guides. But personally, I think they were very biased toward a warmonger point of view. There is nothing wrong with that - apparently that is the style Jeff Morris prefers. But there is nothing to say this is the only way to play. An expansionist style may very well look to fight some early wars to secure territory and resources, and then turn into a pure builder the rest of the game and attempt to control global resource trading. And that's just one example - I'm sure there are lots of other styles.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:49   #118
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by albiedamned
But there is nothing to say this is the only way to play.
Absolutely right. I intend to do the precise opposite of what Jeff Morris said -play an extremely aggressive early game, wiping out any close neighbours, then settle down and turtle for the rest of history. And woe to Firaxis if that doesn´t work!
Old November 3, 2001, 16:21   #119
Diety
Chieftain

No wonder noone at Firafax can beat deity level, when they all play like this

Just kidding : great inside info, very nice done !

Ooo, and that webmaster should be fired : putting future-files up without linking to them, so that "people don't see them". Ugh !
If one of our webmasters would do that, he'll get the boot !