Old October 25, 2001, 11:50   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 09:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More positive previews on civ3
Over at Civfanatics, they posted a snippet from Bob Mayer of CGO. He has played civ3 and had the following to say:

Quote:
...OTOH, there is so much here that is different, within the overall paradigm, that I'm finding it to be an order of magnitude more entertaining than Civ II. Culture, and national borders, make a HUGE difference for me. The entire international relations dynamic is changed. In Civ/Civ II, at the end of the game frequently there were only two or three civilizations left, whereas in Civ III it's not uncommon to reach the 21st century with all of the starting civs still going at some level. The AI civs fight each other regularly, and cooperate with you when it suits them. Diplomacy is much more rational, with many more options, so you can actually have an idea of what doing X to Y will affect.

The resource system, whereby just having the necessary tech for a unit doesn't let you build it, is also very powerful, if sometimes a tad weird (I've gone deep into the 21st century with F-15s and nuclear subs, but no tanks or marines because I had no rubber, for instance). You find yourself coveting resources your neighbor has, trading for them, and sometimes going to war for them. And the ability to take over cities via "cultural imperialism" is very cool--you can build universities and cathedrals and the heathens on the borders will rush to join you.

In my estimation Civ III features a vastly improved mid game and an improved end game; only the early part is pretty much the same as Civ II with only a few minor improvements.

.... Combat is tougher, too, with the new combat rules, and city taking is harder.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 25, 2001, 12:03   #2
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:08
Re: More positive previews on civ3
Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
Over at Civfanatics, they posted a snippet from Bob Mayer of CGO. He has played civ3 and had the following to say:
What's next? Will there be another forum that says "at Apolyton I saw a snippet that was taken from CivFanatics which quoted from Bob Mayer who originally posted it at CGO."?

Old October 25, 2001, 12:18   #3
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:08
A vastly improved mid game and an improved end game ...

Civ3 seems to be even more fine-tuned and polished than I have thought so far. Canīt wait for this game!

(And to be honest, it would have been really hard to improve Civīs early game.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 25, 2001, 12:23   #4
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:08
Surprise, surprise, more people who actually have played the game saying that the AI is pretty good and definitely improved. Take that pessimists!