Old October 25, 2001, 21:21   #31
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No, any Wall Street building would to have the Greek-imitation architecture of the NY Stock Exhange or the Bull statue that's nearby. A bunch of skyscrapers should be included for any modern city that reaches the metropolis level (12+ pop)
Old October 25, 2001, 21:23   #32
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
I got banned for a week after only being registered (in reality) for four days! And I'm fine now!
If you don't mind me asking Lorizael, what was your crime against Aployton?

But you are right, Uber has seemed rather regressive in his posts since he has returned....
Old October 25, 2001, 21:24   #33
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:
No, any Wall Street building would to have the Greek-imitation architecture of the NY Stock Exhange or the Bull statue that's nearby. A bunch of skyscrapers should be included for any modern city that reaches the metropolis level (12+ pop)
Maybe. But when I think of Wall Street, i think of Financial District, and when I think financial district, i think tall buildings/
Old October 25, 2001, 21:24   #34
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 23:09
Quote:
Uber, what was the point of that?
LOL, I find that funnee
Old October 25, 2001, 21:27   #35
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
Maybe. But when I think of Wall Street, i think of Financial District, and when I think financial district, i think tall buildings/
But then how would you portray all six of your late-game size 20+ cities? With lots and lots of houses? The skyscrapers can't be limited to a single small wonder in one city, they're needed for all very large cities.
Old October 25, 2001, 21:28   #36
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

If you don't mind me asking Lorizael, what was your crime against Aployton?

But you are right, Uber has seemed rather regressive in his posts since he has returned....
Read me sig
Old October 25, 2001, 21:30   #37
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:
But then how would you portray all six of your late-game size 20+ cities?
6? I got at least 15 20+

i would portray it same as in civ2. City Icons change, but houses don't
Old October 25, 2001, 21:32   #38
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Uber, what was the point of that?

I think that an animated gif of a nuclear attack would look much better, especially if it used the Civ III graphics engine and was used against a city built with the Civ III graphics engine.
Uber was replying to my past where I claimed that if you didn't want eye-candy, you might as well ask for Civ3 in ASCII. Nothing he posted was out of place or wrong, it was a sarcastic and humorous reply, to my own post.

Uber's joking people, and stop whining about him being childish, Civ3 is a game, game's mean fun, just because his sense of humor isn't as "refined" as some people doesn't mean he's not a decent poster who is very commited to Civ3, maybe too committed, but that's a problem a lot of us have.
Old October 25, 2001, 21:33   #39
Trifna
King

Local Time: 23:09
I agree with Ilkuul: it doesn't feel like any modern city. Looks like a few skyscrappers in a desert with a few houses and wonders placed around.

But oh wel... Civ III will still be great even if it has quite a curious concept of "city"
Old October 25, 2001, 21:37   #40
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

Uber was replying to my past where I claimed that if you didn't want eye-candy, you might as well ask for Civ3 in ASCII. Nothing he posted was out of place or wrong, it was a sarcastic and humorous reply, to my own post.

Uber's joking people, and stop whining about him being childish, Civ3 is a game, game's mean fun, just because his sense of humor isn't as "refined" as some people doesn't mean he's not a decent poster who is very commited to Civ3, maybe too committed, but that's a problem a lot of us have.
I know what he was replying to, I've been following the thread. And it was funny. That's why I followed up by saying how graphics would be better...

A little too committed?

What we have is called obsession
Old October 25, 2001, 21:44   #41
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
What we have is called obsession
Or at the very least an addiction!
Old October 25, 2001, 22:35   #42
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
6? I got at least 15 20+

i would portray it same as in civ2. City Icons change, but houses don't
Not everyone does. I like skyscraper, much more realistic.
Old October 25, 2001, 22:36   #43
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

Or at the very least an addiction!
I've been online for 3 hours doing guess what?
Trust me, it's an obsession.

Anyway, I think was is illustrated by the modern city view is the city and its suburbs, in which case I like it. Anyone think of that?

Said 3 years that first time round...
Old October 25, 2001, 22:38   #44
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

If it's a snap shot of the city and the "burbs" then where are all of the residential housing?
Old October 25, 2001, 22:44   #45
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
If it's a snap shot of the city and the "burbs" then where are all of the residential housing?
To the left of the towers there are houses. Obviously the city is not to scale. But I still think it looks good.
Old October 26, 2001, 02:54   #46
The Templar
Prince

I guess uber is dying to get back to Mingapulco . . .

The city view is pointless. I like art in a game, I think Civ3 for the most part is a beautiful game. But I've never really used the city view. Actually, I should say I've never really looked at the city view. Nobody's ever used it because it has no use.
Old October 26, 2001, 04:46   #47
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 17:09
I think that I saw part of this screen (maybe a one half) several MONTHS ago. These skyscrapers defenitly look like some sort of Wonder (of minor Wonder). Personly I think that is an OLD TEST SHOT (use chet menu on one size city & give him many building & wonders).

CIV1's city view was fabullus compared to CIV2 view, wich was a JOKE!
In CIV1 there was an interaction between city view and building buildings, unrest, we love the kings day & city capture.
Unfortunately I don't think that that kind of interaction will be in CIV3
(probaly there would be just a message like in Civ2).
Old October 26, 2001, 04:56   #48
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 16:09
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
The city view is pointless. I like art in a game, I think Civ3 for the most part is a beautiful game. But I've never really used the city view. Actually, I should say I've never really looked at the city view. Nobody's ever used it because it has no use.
It's a bit on the eyecandy, but it's somewhat like some statistic graph: useful to have a glance at your buildings and wonders.
I'm not sure if some animation will still be in, like seeing the buildings/wonders under construction, some road traffic, the falling of building bombarded by enemy troops, the horde of attacking troops invading your cities...
Maybe some background sound and noise will add to the visual part. Let's wait the final game, then let's start ranting for an expansion...

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
It is the Wall Street (small) wonder, confirmed.
BTW, very tall skyscrapers are more common in USA cities, Japan and, of course, Hong Kong, while we have quite few in many others main cities around the world.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old October 26, 2001, 05:55   #49
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Im glad that Firaxis decided to go with the graphical model of Civ 3, rather than an ASCII model, for obvious reasons

at Uber's nuke
Old October 26, 2001, 08:41   #50
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:09
Re: Modern city view VERY disappointing!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilkuul

Anyone else feel the same?
Well, partially yes, but mostly not.

It's true that those skyscrapers looks quite
amusing in the middle of no-where.
Old October 26, 2001, 08:52   #51
The Negotiator
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:09
I agree with Templar. I haven't used the city view since civ 1. I just don't understand what's so great about it. So it's all the same what it looks like.

But in overall civ 3 looks just superb. I'm just wondering when my chips & bits LE will arrive. If i'm lucky perhaps in november. I still remember the preorder wait when SMAC came out.. Oh dear..
Old October 26, 2001, 09:17   #52
JayKay
Warlord

Local Time: 15:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Hakkapeliitta
I agree also. That looks quite stupid with all the empty space. I really hope that is a low-population city. I didn't like Civ2 city view either, maybe because big cities looked like small villages. Civ1 had a good city view, I liked that. I also liked the marching animation(s) when you captured a city.
Same fellings here!!

The marching animation was very cool - it even changed from period to period (Pikemen in Acient; Musketeers in Middle Ages; Modern Soldiers in Modern Times)!!

Civ 1 view was very cool too, all those buildings close together, all tight, were very real, and you could people on the streets!!

Civ 2 view was very disappointing, no matter what much millions your city population had, the city never had scyscrapers, only a few flats - i agree it looked like a village, very pathetic!!

I really hope that image is from a low population too!! (but if it is, why the skyscrapers?)

Aldo it has no effect in gameplay whatsoever, I really enjoy all this artwork thing!!

I mean, can anyone say (for real) that doesn't enjoy looking for some good artwork in a game, aldo it doesn't have any effect in gameplay? Can you imagine the Civilization game only with plots in a black and white screen, with great gameplay?

Come on, be honest with yourselfs!! The artwork is a party for the players eyes!!

The gameplay is obviasly the most important thing in a game, but a good artwork is a good add-on!!

Portugal
Nation of: Magellan's (from Magellan's Expedition);
Vasco da Gama (Discoverer of the Maritime path to India);
and Pedro Álvares Cabral (Discoverer of Brazil in 1500)