lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thoughs about Combat
Hmmmm, hmmmm

Aha!

Looking at all of the previews and the screens and the things Firaxis has told us, I have some... thoughts about combat.

I think a unit will only be able to attack once per turn and movement simply allows damaged units to retreat.

However, I heard mentioned something awhile ago about the option to also launch an assault. I think this means a unit does get all of its movement in attacks but does not have the option to retreat, so if it gets hurt too bad.

The Panzer apparently has the ability to attack more than once per turn, according to the Civilopedia. I'm gussing this means it can do something in between assault and one attack, much like what happened in Civ II.

I think also you may be able to attack at the end of your move, even if you have no movement points left.

Of course I might just be smoking something really good. Anyone else have any ideas, thought, criticisms? Or anyone want to know how I came up with my theories?
Old October 26, 2001, 06:38   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If its anything like SMAC (which i suspect it will be, in regards to rules), a unit will be able to attack once per movement point. An assault will use all available MPs. If a 2 MP units attacks, and gets half-damaged, it retreats, using its other MP. If that unit attacks and wins instead, it will be able to attack again, or move, or just sit there looking dumb

Thats my take on how combat will work.
Old October 26, 2001, 15:23   #3
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Then what is the difference between regular attacking and assaulting. And why does it say the Panzer has the ability to attack more than once?
Old October 26, 2001, 16:37   #4
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 10:09
I think attacking and assualting are the same thing.
Old October 26, 2001, 18:09   #5
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Skanky's explanation seems logical to me.
Old October 26, 2001, 20:10   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
Then what is the difference between regular attacking and assaulting. And why does it say the Panzer has the ability to attack more than once?
As I recall, when you assault there is no opportunity for retreat. Unfortunately, there is so little known about the mechanics of combat used in the game, it doesn't mean much yet.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 26, 2001, 20:20   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Correct. With an assault, the attacker keeps attacking until either he or his enemy is dead. I think doing an assault give you an attack bonus as well.

And with the standard attack, refer to Civ 2 when attacking with a tank Thats the best analogy, and by all indications is what will happen in Civ 3
Old October 27, 2001, 01:16   #8
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Correct. With an assault, the attacker keeps attacking until either he or his enemy is dead. I think doing an assault give you an attack bonus as well.

And with the standard attack, refer to Civ 2 when attacking with a tank Thats the best analogy, and by all indications is what will happen in Civ 3
Then only if the assault gave an attack bonus would it be useful. But some how I don't think so because I think that would have been in the editor. I'm not sure we can refer to Civ II for this. Combat seems to be completely different from Civ I or Civ II.

I think a unit can attack once.
A "fast" unit can assault -- it can attack as many times as it has MPs, until it or the enemy is dead.
Or a fast unit can attack and retreat if it's losing the combat.
I dunno...