Old December 11, 2001, 18:36   #121
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2128 to Deimos.

Ah, yes, I love these Christmas smilies.

Oh, and Black Sunrise, OUCH on those parking tickets.
Old December 11, 2001, 20:26   #122
Deimos
Prince

MY 2129 to Black Sunrise

What Christmas smilies? Here today, gone today?
Old December 11, 2001, 21:32   #123
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 15:11
2129 to Yamamoto
Two separate efforts to increase mineral production have completed this year. Efforts to find a new base site have proved successful, founding will commence next year.
Gunship 001 has resumed explorations at 80% hull integrity, the best we can expect with field repairs.

1 hour, 6 minutes. ZIP!
Old December 12, 2001, 09:41   #124
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:11
Turn sent. It's only this guy in a christmas mood. The rest will probably follow soon. Btw, am I colour blind or did he have a green hat yesterday???
Old December 12, 2001, 21:05   #125
Qantaga
King

Hmmm...perhaps I am a bit uninformed (or even naive), but isn't it considered common courtesy to ask before popping a pod in someone else's territory? I had a pod popped by a passing ship, well within my territorial waters, that has now left behind some mindworms for me to deal with.

2129 to Deimos.
Old December 12, 2001, 23:18   #126
Deimos
Prince

MY 2130 to Black Sunrise

Out on the open sea, it's first come, first served. Inside territorial waters, it's theft of private property, IMO.
Old December 12, 2001, 23:31   #127
Black Sunrise
Prince

2130 to yamamoto
Tech advance, drone riots, energy pod.
sent!

Sorry guys, 18 minutes was the absolute fastest I could accomplish. I hate to let you all down with my tardiness.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:04   #128
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

You're of course referring to my "Bushido" Fleet, Qantaga. First, before I popped those three pods, we still hadn't had any diplomatic contact. I saw no territorial borders, so I wasn't violating anything. Second, we also don't have a treaty yet, though I have offered you one this turn, after getting 100 ec out of that pod besides your HQ. So, until we signed one, agreeing on mutual borders, it's first come first served everywhere, even in the territory you claim to be yours. I think it's a fair tactic sending your gunships behind enemy lines to grab the pods before the other does. You may do the same with me, if you like! Though the only pods you'll find in my neighbourhood are on fungus. Have a nice time being killed by Isles! Did that Isle cause any trouble btw?

SMAniaC
Old December 13, 2001, 13:34   #129
Qantaga
King

Quote:
Originally posted by M@ni@c
Have a nice time being killed by Isles!
First, let me say thanks for your well wishes.

Quote:
I think it's a fair tactic sending your gunships behind enemy lines to grab the pods before the other does.
You are correct that this is a tactic (I am not sure that I would call it fair).

Here's another tactic: In order to get your forces out as quickly as possible, you could choose to leave your HQ undefended. That might even leave it open to an IoD attack and you could lose your HQ. Sometimes "tactics" don't create a very enjoyable game, do they?

2130 to Deimos.
Old December 13, 2001, 20:53   #130
Deimos
Prince

MY 2131 to Black Sunrise

Quote:
Originally posted by Qantaga
Sometimes "tactics" don't create a very enjoyable game, do they?
Old December 13, 2001, 23:24   #131
Black Sunrise
Prince

2131 to Yamamoto
In a year or two, our unit, Gunship 001, will have completed Operation Magellan, completing the first circumference of Planet.
Eat our dust.

oh, yeah, 2 hours, 31 minutes.
Old December 14, 2001, 13:16   #132
Maniac

Quote:
Here's another tactic: In order to get your forces out as quickly as possible, you could choose to leave your HQ undefended. That might even leave it open to an IoD attack and you could lose your HQ. Sometimes "tactics" don't create a very enjoyable game, do they?
Touché! I knew this one was coming. Though I hope you won't hold that HQ incident against me for the entire game. It won't be a fun game if you expect me to behave submissively to you all because one of you guys helped me out once in a time of need. Still grateful Deimos!
Old December 15, 2001, 15:54   #133
Qantaga
King

M@ni@c,

I do not have any expectation that you should be submissive to any of us in this game. I have no problem whatsoever with the restart to save your HQ. As a matter of fact, I will never mention it again. My only point was that if you play a fast, loose and aggressive game, the results are not always enjoyable, either for yourself or for others. That is all water under the bridge now and I extend the olive branch outside the game world.

2131 to Deimos.

-------

Now entering game role-playing mode:

News broadcast to the inhabitants of Chiron:

It is with great sadness that we must report that the Bushido fleet remained well within Mariner territorial waters (whether those waters were recognized by the Admiral or not). A trial has been conducted and the Bushido fleet was found guilty of the following offenses:

1. Trespassing without leave:

Quote:
sending your gunships behind enemy lines to grab the pods before the other does.
2. Theft of Mariner property:

Quote:
after getting 100 ec out of that pod besides your HQ.
3. Reckless disregard for Mariner life. Specifically, the casual release of hideous mindworms to run amok in Mariner territory.

Quote:
Since the Bushido fleet refused to return the 100 credits and continued to remain within threatening distance of Mariner bases, they have been dispatched to rest peacefully at the bottom of the sea.

As for the Mariners, we now consider justice served and the matter closed. We have offered a Truce to Yamamoto. However, we fully understand if they are not receptive to a Truce and choose to remain in vendetta with the Mariners Guild.
Old December 15, 2001, 19:49   #134
Deimos
Prince

MY 2132 to Black Sunrise
Old December 15, 2001, 19:59   #135
Black Sunrise
Prince

2132 to Yamamoto
Focusing on growth has offered us no time to check the communications office of late.
Move sent.

BTW 10 minutes.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:19   #136
Qantaga
King

2132 sent to Deimos.

---------
We are heartened to report that Admiral Yamamoto has accepted a Truce. Hopefully, we can put this unfortunate beginning behind us as we forge our fledgling empires on this new world.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:41   #137
Maniac

MY 2132 to Qantaga

------------------------------

News broadcast to the inhabitants of Chiron, provided for you by ABC, the Armada Broadcasting Corporation:

"Good evening, listeners. Our top item tonight is the unprovoked attack of our Bushido Fleet by the band of pirates calling themselves the Mariner faction. Just a few hours ago they sent a news message over the globe claiming Bushido Fleet was guilty of a number of offenses. Of course nothing is true of these allegiations. Therefore our most honoured Admiral Yamamoto decided to come himself to the studio and take the defence.

Good evening to you too, Admiral. May I propose you respond to the presumed offenses one by one? First, they accused us of 'trespassing without leave'."

"Yes indeed. To that I must respond that after we first had laid contact with the Mariners just outside their HQ, I personally ordered the Fleet to withdraw outside claimed Mariner territory as quickly as they could. And in fact, Bushido had just left their waters, when they were ruthlessly ambushed by a detachment of gunships. So truely, what the Mariners say in this communiqué are pure lies:

Quote:
It is with great sadness that we must report that the Bushido fleet remained well within Mariner territorial waters.
I don't know how large the Mariners assume their territorial borders are, but the interfactional conferency of MY 2121 has put it on 1500 kilometers in a circle around any sea base with a population of at least 10000 inhabitants. Also referred to as 3 tiles in common language. Bushido was at the moment of attack located at no less than two thousand kilometers away. I am willing to give all data Bushido has collected on its journey to a neutral investigation committee for verification of that fact. Of course it could be that the Mariners misread the 2121 conferency rules and thought their borders as 1500 of those outdated miles wide, instead of kilometers. More such accidents have happened in the past..."

"Yes I think suffices as an answer to the first accusation. The second is theft of Mariner property. How do you reply to that?"

"Very simple. I have said it before and I will repeat it: before we made first contact at his HQ, we DID NOT KNOW we were trespassing anyone's territory. So we can hardly be called conscious thiefs. To take a purely hypothetical and, ha, frankly a ridiculous example, if within a few decades it would appear there are aliens living on this planet, calling us intruders on their world, would we really deserve that name?? At most we can be called ignorant. Besides, the Mariners have never filed any request for giving them those 100 ec. So the following extract out of their communiqué is also a pure lie:

Quote:
Since the Bushido fleet refused to return the 100 credits
If I didn't know better, I'd say those anarchist Mariners were just waiting for the first opportunity to attack us peaceful explorers."

"Time's running out, Admiral. Maybe it's time to move on to the last accusation..."

"Yes I was just coming to that. Unlike the impression the Mariners like to give, we did not 'release' mind worms. For Buddha's sake, Bushido Fleet was running from them herself! And hell did we know there was a base nearby! Oh yes, the Mariners still haven't answered to my question whether the Isle caused any trouble, more specifically did it cost human lives? They don't mention a thing about that in their list of accusations, so I guess no one's harmed. Even more, probably they have gained quite a few planet pearls out of it. Do I demand giving the pearls to me, although they legally belong to the Pack Armada? No I don't!
One last thing I want to get from my chest. I am appaled by how the Mariners place quotes of me in a wrong context. Especially this one:

Quote:
That was said in the following context:

Quote:
I think it's a fair tactic sending your gunships behind enemy lines to grab the pods before the other does. You may do the same with me, if you like! Though the only pods you'll find in my neighbourhood are on fungus. Have a nice time being killed by Isles!
As you see, I was referring to the situation where one would pop pods around the fungus in my territory, not about the specific Isle in Mariner territory. This is a clear example of how the Guild uses unethical ways of brainwashing honest citizens.

Although great injustice has been done to the Armada, I am willing to accept the truce proposed by Qantaga. Unlike the Mariners, I seek peace and prosperity, not chaos and destruction. I thank you for you time."

"So far our interview with our leader, Admiral Yamamoto. More background information will be given after the news, in a special edition of "Telefacts". This only leaves me to give a short overview of the other news today.

Yamato Fleet reports it has nearly finished Operation Amundsen, an exploratory mission, faring from pole to pole. It is rumoured that the captain of the flagship said the following words: "Eat my dust", referring to the famous quote of Black Sunrise, leader of the most powerful faction on the face of this world. This proves that Armada ships don't have do under for their Pirate equivalents.

Also Pack researchers are proud to announce the completion of their research project towards a practical system for planetary networks. The knowledge will soon be put to good use and given to all factions with a friendly attitude towards the Pack. A good reason to check the communication office, so it seems.

This was the news. Thank you for watching and good night."

------------------------------

I gratefully accept your olive branch, Qantaga. Don't mind the above in-game role-playing. I'm just talking robust language for my populace. After all, the Pack has an honour to keep high.

M@ni@c

Last edited by Maniac; December 17, 2001 at 12:48.
Old December 17, 2001, 14:08   #138
Black Sunrise
Prince

Quote:
Yamato Fleet reports it has nearly finished Operation Amundsen, an exploratory mission, faring from pole to pole.
The Black Sunrise Exploratory Fleet, consisting of Gunship 001, would like to point out that Yamamoto Fleet is welcome to play in the Southern Hemisphere if they so choose. We will remain in the warm and sunny Northern Region.

Quote:
It is rumoured that the captain of the flagship said the following words: "Eat my dust", referring to the famous quote of Black Sunrise, leader of the most powerful faction on the face of this world. This proves that Armada ships don't have do under for their Pirate equivalents.
Is is good that the Armada recognizes our greatness. Perhaps they would care to add their votes to ours and elect Chairman Indra to the position of Supreme Leader?

Old December 18, 2001, 10:09   #139
Maniac

Quote:
The Black Sunrise Exploratory Fleet, consisting of Gunship 001, would like to point out that Yamamoto Fleet is welcome to play in the Southern Hemisphere if they so choose. We will remain in the warm and sunny Northern Region.
Oh great, don't tell me that the everything above the equator lies well within your borders!

Quote:
Perhaps they would care to add their votes to ours and elect Chairman Indra to the position of Supreme Leader?
Sure! If I become 'Penultimate' Leader! Which brings me to a question. Is Cooperative Victory on or not??

M@ni@c
Old December 18, 2001, 10:13   #140
Maniac

I just read it's off. Damn. No votes then!
Old December 18, 2001, 21:11   #141
Deimos
Prince

MY 2133 to Black Sunrise
Old December 19, 2001, 17:36   #142
Black Sunrise
Prince

Clonewarsii-yamamoto-2133
Sorry so slow, kinda sick today
Old December 20, 2001, 11:01   #143
Maniac

MY 2133 to Qantaga

It might be possible I won't be able to play (one of) the following days and certainly not December the 24th and 25th. My apologies!
Old December 20, 2001, 21:55   #144
Qantaga
King

M@ni@c, the turn seems to be lost in the mists of the Internet. Could you resend, please? Thanks.
Old December 22, 2001, 01:18   #145
Deimos
Prince

MY 2134 to Pirates
Old December 22, 2001, 10:52   #146
Maniac

MY 2134 to Qantaga
Old December 22, 2001, 11:27   #147
Qantaga
King

2134 to Deimos.

Happy Holidays to you all!
Old December 22, 2001, 12:41   #148
Deimos
Prince

MY2135 to Black Sunrise
Old December 23, 2001, 08:34   #149
Black Sunrise
Prince

2135 to yamamoto
Getting ready to settle more cities.
Old December 23, 2001, 10:00   #150
Maniac

MY 2135 to Qantaga

A merry christmas to you all!