Old October 26, 2001, 23:06   #31
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Tom Clancy wrote a non-fiction book called Armoured Cav that contains some interesting information about the armour used in the M1 series of tanks. However, I don't have the book with me. Some online research does show, however, that the armour system does indeed use depleted Uranium.
Old October 27, 2001, 00:58   #32
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 16:13
It is "SABOT" Rounds not "Sabbot" as some person put it...he knows who is is...and so does anyone that reads the thread.

Okay it was Lorizael....he was being as smart-ass so I out-smarted him

Thank me?...

Old October 27, 2001, 01:10   #33
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
It is "SABOT" Rounds not "Sabbot" as some person put it...he knows who is is...and so does anyone that reads the thread.

Okay it was Lorizael....he was being as smart-ass so I out-smarted him

Thank me?...

Right... I'm being the smartass... because I put one too many B's in the word. Anyway...

Where in the armor system of an Abram is depleted uranium used? The stuff is quite dense (as dense as we can get things to be) but not actually hard enough to make good armor.
Old October 27, 2001, 01:21   #34
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 09:13
"DU provides the best armor protection available. This is because of the density of the material. Plates of DU are sandwiched between outer and inner steel plates on "heavy armor" versions of the M1A1/A2 Abrams tank and provide greater protection than solid steel, alloys, or laminates, and they can defeat most currently fielded, non–DU antitank munitions"

the whole thing is at:

http://www.wood.army.mil/CHBULLETIN/...ed_uranium.htm
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 27, 2001, 01:30   #35
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Well I've been wrong before and I betcha I'll be wrong again!
Old October 27, 2001, 01:34   #36
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:13
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
As I said, I don't have the book with me. I think it's layered with other materials.

found a web page with some info:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...457/abrams.htm
Quote:
The M1A1 tank incorporates steel encased depleted uranium armour. The depleted uranium provides a higher level of protection against anti-tank weapons.
This is the unclassified stuff. I remember reading that parts of the system are classified.

Whatever it is, it's extremely effective.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm
also has some info.
Old October 27, 2001, 02:42   #37
nmoss
Settler

Local Time: 15:13
Actually tanks do use some rubber but the main reason is becasue the support vehicles require it. During WW2 the US and its allies ran short of rubber after the Japanese invaded Singapore which had the rubber plantations. Tanks consume alot of fuel several gallons to the mile and without support vehilcles that do require tires the tanks would over extend thier supply lines for fuel, Ammo and Provisions for the crew.
Old October 27, 2001, 04:21   #38
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

Yah, Synthetic fibers. Umm, IIRC the United States doesn't use depleted uranium for armor, the stuff is too dense.

However, the Abrams can fire sabbot rounds -- armor piercing rounds that are made of depleted uranium.
As my knowledge of military hardware is being doubted let me quote from the 'Tanks at War' encyclopedia.

Quote:
The M1's hull and turret are made of anti-tank missile-resistant composite armour comprising laminated layers of metal, plastics and ceramics. [b]Latest variants have increased protection provided by ultra-dense DU (Non-Radioactive depleted uranium) armour.
So nyaaaaaa I know whereof I speak.

( Also for future reference I know full well what Depleted Uranium is and what it's qualities and uses are. There's no need for a half dozen of you to tell me )
Old October 27, 2001, 04:35   #39
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael

Right... I'm being the smartass... because I put one too many B's in the word. Anyway...

Where in the armor system of an Abram is depleted uranium used? The stuff is quite dense (as dense as we can get things to be) but not actually hard enough to make good armor.
Tank designers seem to diagree with you there.....

Anyway like I originally said it's used as armour PLATING. There's a difference between saying armopur plating and armour it'self as the former merely implies a layer is put on whereas the latter suggests the whole things made out it. Which obviously it isn't, not because it wouldn't make good armour, it would most likely make great armour, but the thing would be too damn heavy to actually move unless you make the axels out of diamond or something

Side note - The leopard's armour AFAIK is classified, however as it's slightly more advance than the Abrams you can bet it probably uses DU plating too.

Similarly the 'chabham' armour used by the Challenger is also classified...... or it was when my book was written
Old October 27, 2001, 06:12   #40
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 09:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba

Anyway like I originally said it's used as armour PLATING. There's a difference between saying armopur plating and armour it'self as the former merely implies a layer is put on whereas the latter suggests the whole things made out it. Which obviously it isn't, not because it wouldn't make good armour, it would most likely make great armour, but the thing would be too damn heavy to actually move unless you make the axels out of diamond or something

Side note - The leopard's armour AFAIK is classified, however as it's slightly more advance than the Abrams you can bet it probably uses DU plating too.

Similarly the 'chabham' armour used by the Challenger is also classified...... or it was when my book was written
The M1A2SEP is more advanced than the current Leopard 2
. For the most part they are about the same tank and all three (Abrams,Leopard2, and Challenger) use the Chobham armor. From what I hear the Leopard is easier to maintain than the Abrams.

Chobham armor is composite Armor. Layer upon layer of different protection. Its the best way to beat both HEAT and KE rounds by making the armor a jack of all trades. The DU is at this time only in the Abrams. A tank armored with only DU wouldnt be too heavy to move as it offers better protection than most metals pound for pound. You just build the tank to weigh the same and its still better protected (there will be less armor but it'll still be better in effect). The reason they dont do it is that while it would protect the best vs KE, a HEAT warhead would burn through it easier than against Chobham.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 27, 2001, 06:51   #41
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Depleted Uranium (aka Staballoy to US Govt) is used in both anti tank ammunition and in the armour. Reference: Tom Clancy's Armored Cav.

Anyway, rubber is used on the tank TREADS as well

And while DU is dense, it is also very tough with armour penetration performance superior to even tungsten (and comes with incendiary AND toxic effects). which is why on the Abrams DU is used as well, so it will be tough enough to disrupt a super velocity AP round....
Old October 27, 2001, 16:20   #42
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba

Faboba I gave up awhile ago... look at my last post...