Old October 27, 2001, 04:00   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 11:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Should I get the Hint book?
I know I can come here for tips and hints, but I would like to know what the hint book would be like. I like to have the book infront of me while playing instead of going online and read what I need.

I never got the hint book for Civ 2 but did get it for Civ 1. That was a good hint book. The best hint book I ever had was Masters of Orion. Now that is a hint book. gives you formulas for everything. Wished that was out now.

The hint book for Call to Power was lame and dont want that to happen again. So where can I get info on the hint book?

what is your opnions?

Davor

PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS.
DAMNATUS SALVENS.
HIC HOMO NESCIENS.
QUAE FUTURA EST?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Old October 27, 2001, 04:10   #2
Faboba
King

Local Time: 15:16
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Feh! All I needed to know about civ I learned from Apolyton and getting my ass kicked many a time
Old October 27, 2001, 04:16   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

The hint book might be a fun read, but I can garauntee that the fansites like Apolyton will offer a lot more depth and info as far as strategies.
Old October 27, 2001, 04:22   #4
Deathray
Warlord

The problem is that the hint book was ready when the game went gold. As a result I can guarantee that there will be inaccuracies and that the writer will not have had enough time with the game to write an accurate strategy guide.
Old October 27, 2001, 04:31   #5
joey703
Settler

Local Time: 07:16
most hint books are a waste of money. Buy one if you have a lot of money.
Old October 27, 2001, 07:57   #6
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Hint books only contain superficial advice, and if you get them out after a year of playing, they have turned into worse joke books.

so the answer is NO, save the money for a useless magazine about people who have been kidnapped by aliens
Old October 27, 2001, 08:37   #7
BLackraven42
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:16
For civ games, never get the guide. It only ruins the game and it can't really help you because the AI is different everytime.

An old saying goes "For every language a man knows, he is that many times a man"
Therefore, George Bush is half a man.
Old October 27, 2001, 09:08   #8
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

plus, the guys who write those hint books are mostly stupid, give crap hints and all... it really is better to get the feeling from playing and to learn strats from reading forums
Old October 27, 2001, 09:17   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:16
It has also been my impression that Hint Books have been and are a waste of time and money. Save your money for something worthwhile.
Old October 27, 2001, 11:45   #10
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 16:16
Quote:
Should I get the Hint book?
what for?

ofcourse not! [Loss of money IMO]
Old October 27, 2001, 11:52   #11
Mars
Prince

If they can't even beat deity whats the use. You're probaly just as good as teh guy who wrote teh book, as long as you've been playing civ for a long time, which it sounds like you have. I say don't get it.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:14   #12
IBNobody
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:16
I'm the exception to the norm. I say: Get the hintbook!

Strategy game hintbooks provide one main resource:
Nice-looking, printed, and bound lists.

And for those of you who pre-ordered your hintbook from EB, you'll be able to reap a wealth of data from the book before the game even hits the shelves.

- Nobody
Old October 27, 2001, 12:32   #13
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 12:16
Spend money on this things... no way!
Get all what u want searching at sites like google or altavista.
For this things the internet are here.

Last edited by zeh; October 27, 2001 at 13:18.
Old October 27, 2001, 12:58   #14
cyril25376
Warlord

I don't spend a buck to the hint-book. There are better and cheaper ways to get the info (magazines, internet ..)
Old October 27, 2001, 14:09   #15
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:16
Quote:
Originally posted by IBNobody
I'm the exception to the norm. I say: Get the hintbook!

Strategy game hintbooks provide one main resource:
Nice-looking, printed, and bound lists.

And for those of you who pre-ordered your hintbook from EB, you'll be able to reap a wealth of data from the book before the game even hits the shelves.

- Nobody
I found the hint book for Civ2 to be very helpful as a new gamer. I would reccomend it for people that are new to civ style games. Not needed for veterans.
Old October 27, 2001, 16:08   #16
KoalaBear33
Warlord

I have a question for all of you from a newbie (I loved Civ 1; played Civ II but didn't play a TBS since then):

how quickly does a game like Civilization get patched? That is, are there lots of balance changes made? I come from an RTS background and in the RTS genre, changes are VERY COMMON. The strategy guides for RTS games are totally useless after one month (mostly because patches significantly alter balance--also none of the guides are written from an online gaming perspective but that's another story). So does Civ change quickly or not?

Thanks!

KoalaBear33
Old October 27, 2001, 16:25   #17
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

It would be cool to know all the formulas for the game but I would never use them because I feel that takes some of the fun outa the game.

Anyway, how many people are there on Apolyton? Much better to discuss it with a bunch of people who are truly obsessed with the game, and have a wide range of opinions.
Old October 27, 2001, 17:01   #18
SerapisIV
King

Get the hint book only if you plan to buy it now, as in right now and will spend the next 24 hours transcribing each word to an Apolyton thread.

If you don't want to do the above actions, don't bother. For an open-ended game like civ3, which most likely has a pretty decent manual already, it'll be worthless
Old October 27, 2001, 18:13   #19
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 08:16
Boycott Pre-release "Strategy Guides"!
MOO's hintbook was good for a reason. CTP's was bad for a reason. Go here: http://hometown.aol.com/aemrich111/a...11/decline.htm

This was written by the guy that wrote the MOO strategy guide, IIRC. Quite simply put, "Official" strategy guids suck, because people are stupid enough to buy them despite the fact that they suck. Wait for the high quality "unofficial" guide. Unless the devs got things done a *long* time ago and were just waiting for the strat guide to release, the book will be useless.
Take me as I am.
Old October 27, 2001, 20:55   #20
The Templar
Prince

Given that we know stuff changed after the official hint book was written, I wouldn't bother. Even if you are new to civ, learn by trial and error - its more fun that way.
Old October 27, 2001, 21:34   #21
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Get the hint book only if you plan to buy it now, as in right now and will spend the next 24 hours transcribing each word to an Apolyton thread.
That would be the only reason i would recommend someone (else) to buy the hint-book But i would never waste my money on it. Better strategies to be had here. Although its up to you, if you feel its worth it to have something next to you while playing, rather than alt-tabbing to find info...
Old October 27, 2001, 21:42   #22
SuiteSisterMary
Chieftain

Actually, the Master of Magic strategy guide is the best one in existence. :-)
Old October 27, 2001, 23:00   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Update: Dont bother getting the Hint-Book. We already have found a 'poor sap' who bought it, and hes busy posting whats contained in it on This Thread about the Hint Book for all to see.

If you are still debating whether or not to get it, send a personal message to the guy whos posting info
Old October 27, 2001, 23:44   #24
Leonidas
King

Yolky:

I pretty much agree with everyone here - hint books are a waste of money.

Here's an easy way to get started on your very own hint book.

Open Wordpad, then go to the topic in this forum called: "The Strategy Guide is Out". Copy and paste the info that you find useful there into your Wordpad document, making headings for specific information. When the game does come out, you'll be ready to play.

Then keep coming back to this forum and "copy and paste" the hints and tips as they appear from people playing the game. Soon, you'll have a wealth of information for which you spent no money acquiring.

You can arrange and organize the info you put in Wordpad to suit
your tastes