Old October 27, 2001, 07:26   #1
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Changes in game rules/graphics
Hey, I know many of you have done that and are still soing it, aletering game files for more fun in playing

What I hated the most in the original files was the fact you could build destroyers without even industrialising beforehands, so I put in a tech called 'battleships' which needed steel and that was necessary for all ships beyond ironclad

Also, I felt like there's a gap between musketeer (15th/16th century) and the riflemen (19th/20th century), so I put in that Royal Infantry unit for 17th/18th century purposes

Also, I changed the unit powers fior ancient units as well.... Barb archers are not a problem anymore, archers are a very defensive unit in my files, whereas the legion and catapult received extra hit/fire points.... I might zip my files together and load them up later on... but now that I think about it... I'd have to translate them from the language into this barbaric thing called English before

What have you done to your files? Did you do it on your own or did you just download modpacks like the 16-bit-HiRes one by mindseye?
Old October 27, 2001, 20:33   #2
klesh
King

Local Time: 11:16
I haven't done much...
editing of the main Civ directory, but Henrik and I were talking about this tonite and he showed me his units.gif for his default games. Of course he uses more units, so he has tweaked his rules.txt too. But in general, this here looks like a nice little gfx mod.

-FMK.
Old October 28, 2001, 04:40   #3
Ecthy
Emperor

yup, that one looks alright, especially the ancient units
Old October 28, 2001, 08:11   #4
Ecthy
Emperor

can you give me advice about nice unit or city grpahics? I think I've even downloaded a lot of those way back...

my units.gif

... just won't be posted...
Old October 28, 2001, 21:48   #5
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 09:16
I've edited the rules.txt so much, I now have one customized for each continent, plus one for the mediterranean. Each with a custom terrain1.gif, as well. Most of the geographic changes are the civs, trade commodities, and terrain types/values.

I've usually kept the standard tech tree, but added plumbing and a few filler techs for the ancient times. That's the part of the game I enjoy most, more techs delays the change to the modern era.

Without the ability to do this, I'd probably have gotten bored of the game long ago.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old October 29, 2001, 00:40   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
In an attempt to help the ai I lowered the cost of the Oracle to 200 sheilds and changed expiration to Communism.Didn't work,so changed it back.
Tryed to get the same result by lowering courthouses to 40 sheilds and no upkeep.Didn't work either,changed it back.
I haven't been able to come up with anything that helps the AI,but not me.Consistantly, anyways
Old November 5, 2001, 05:51   #7
Carnildo
Settler

Local Time: 10:16
I've got heavily customized unit graphics borrowed from a number of scenarios. My terrain graphics are borrowed from the Master of Magic scenario. The game.txt file is modified to make the messages interesting ("You have unleashed a herd of barbarians!"), and I've added a large number of city names to the city.txt file to reduce the number of times I see names like "Naples".
Old November 6, 2001, 18:44   #8
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Here's the modified graphics that I use. I've added jet fighers, two generations of tanks, dreadnaughts, nuclear submarines, & other stuff
Please note that the only graphics I created are the AEGIS Cruiser and modern tank. The pre industrial revoulition ones were made by BeBro, Harlan Thomyson and Erwan. The post industrial revolution units were made by Captain Nemo, Alex Mor, Andrew Livings, Bebro and Jimmywax
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	units.gif
Views:	55
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	5492  
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Last edited by Case; November 6, 2001 at 18:57.
Old November 7, 2001, 09:51   #9
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 08:16
I don't mess with the graphics (pretty much for lack of ability), but I am tinkering with the game in other ways.

Natch, I like the "barbarian Wrath" setting so much that I now use it in all my games.

My current project is tinkering with the food output so cities grow slower. I started with just making each citizen eat 3 food, but that makes it too slow. cities max at size 2 until you get out of despotism. I then upped the food per tile output, keeping each citizen eating 3 food, and the cities grow outrageously fast, once you get out of depotism.

maybe I'll reduce the food need to 1 per citizen and reduce the food output of tiles. hmmmnnn....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn