Old October 29, 2001, 01:47   #241
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Leo's workshop: halves cost of upgrading units.

This means you can upgrade units that are in cities regardless of whether or not you have this wonder.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:49   #242
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:17
I am so happy that we will be able to "upgrade" units instead of just disbanding them or having a warrior running around my civ in the year 2020!
Old October 29, 2001, 01:50   #243
Nemo
Prince

man it REALLY sucks that there is no damn MAD in the game
Old October 29, 2001, 01:57   #244
wes23
Settler

Local Time: 15:17
L W
that makes sense, 50% makes that wonder lot more fair, then it used to be.

so, are the huts pretty cool? the little villages u find and u get free stuff or barb!
Old October 29, 2001, 02:02   #245
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:17
Quote:
Well, there basically is. You launch a nuke and the rest of the world turns on you, even allies. Like in SMAC... worked well there.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 29, 2001, 02:22   #246
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
Re: Leonadro
Quote:
Originally posted by wes23

does Leonardos Workshop still work the same?
No. The trigger in Civ III is...

Leonardo's Workshop
Allows you to upgrade units at 1/2 the cost.
Old October 29, 2001, 03:52   #247
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Well, there basically is. You launch a nuke and the rest of the world turns on you, even allies. Like in SMAC... worked well there.
yeah, but i was hoping for a system like in CTP(2?) where you could city lock them and they would launch upon enemy launch in the same turn. but since i rarely got that far (usually got bored first) i dont know how good the systme was, but i was hoping firaxis would have a better system similar to that concept.
Old October 29, 2001, 05:13   #248
Döbeln_2001
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo

yeah, but i was hoping for a system like in CTP(2?) where you could city lock them and they would launch upon enemy launch in the same turn. but since i rarely got that far (usually got bored first) i dont know how good the systme was, but i was hoping firaxis would have a better system similar to that concept.
If I'm not mistaken, it takes 1 turn for an ICBM to hit, so your enemy will have plenty of time to launch a counterstrike. More simple and elegant than CTP:s system...

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!
Old October 29, 2001, 07:20   #249
old dog
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:17
Re: Leonadro
Quote:
Originally posted by wes23
I got one quick question****

does Leonardos Workshop still work the same?

I think it should be a small wonder, I hated upgrading in Alpha C.

but since it is not small wonder , I will have to get it firs tif it is the same as in CIV 2

thanks
I believe he posted earlier that Leonardo now cuts the cost of upgrading units by half. (All civs can upgrade their units in Civ 3; it costs cash.)
Old October 29, 2001, 11:26   #250
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:17
I do now understand that pollution will be a huge issue, and you'll have to fight it all the modern age. You just can't ignore recycling improvements, while just having tons of units out to clean anything that appears, like you could in Civ 2.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:57   #251
Jarouik
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew1999
Everything in the guide points to a fixed, 20-tile area that citizens can work. Culture just affects the political boundary of your civ, city resistance/assimilation, negotiating power (they'll accept worse deals if you're culturally superior), and propaganda (it's easier to steal cities with spies if your culture is superior.)
OK, it seems I was mistaken and you can work all the squares from the start, since it was said to be the case in the thread http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...080#post566080...

However, in that case I keep wondering what this city screenshot means. Most of the outer squares are not inside any other civ's borders, but they still cannot be used. Explanations, any? Another screenshot showing a similar situation is here - you can see that the square southwest of the square you are working on should be inside your city radius and outside all other nations' borders, but still it cannot be used.

Last edited by Jarouik; October 29, 2001 at 13:04.
Old October 29, 2001, 13:10   #252
LarryLard
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew1999
Great Wall: Doubles effects of walls in cities that have them. United Nations: Allows diplomatic victory
No-one has commented on the CivII effects that seem to have been removed??

Reminder: These two used to force your enemies to conclude negotiations with ceasefire/peace...
Old October 29, 2001, 13:47   #253
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarouik

OK, it seems I was mistaken and you can work all the squares from the start, since it was said to be the case in the thread http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...080#post566080...

However, in that case I keep wondering what this city screenshot means. Most of the outer squares are not inside any other civ's borders, but they still cannot be used. Explanations, any? Another screenshot showing a similar situation is here - you can see that the square southwest of the square you are working on should be inside your city radius and outside all other nations' borders, but still it cannot be used.
Those 2 screenshots are exactly the ones which made me think you couldn't work the full 21 squares until your city border expanded. However BlueHooHoo has directly said this is not the case. So I can only assume that even though the squares beyond the initial 8 are grayed out before the borders expand, you can still work them.

At this point, who cares. I'll know for sure tomorrow!
Old October 29, 2001, 13:51   #254
drake
King

Local Time: 11:17
Strategy guide before game is released?

Pathetic.......

Bet you guys go out and buy cheat books to games before you pick em up too....

Half the fun is discovering a games for ones self. Atleast I would think it is.

Heaven forbid some of you learn a technique on your own
Old October 29, 2001, 14:39   #255
Jarouik
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Strategy guide before game is released?

Pathetic.......

Bet you guys go out and buy cheat books to games before you pick em up too....

Half the fun is discovering a games for ones self. Atleast I would think it is.

Heaven forbid some of you learn a technique on your own
Judging by earlier commercial Civilization "strategy guides", the book now released probably contains very little in the way of valuable strategies etc. I consider such strategy guides more like complementary (and often erroneous) manuals and hardly worth buying... here the point is that, until the game is released, the book is a unique opportunity to learn some of the facts about the game you will learn anyway once you get your hands on it. There are some people who can't wait until they get to play the game themselves... me included, since I know the game won't be available in Finland until a couple of weeks later. However, I guess I should stop reading Apolyton once the game is released in the US, because I don't want to know *everything* about the game before I can play it myself.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:16   #256
arkammler
Settler

I like how the wonders that "count as _____ in every town" are gone.
Now, with increases the effect of _____ better. you still have to build _____ to get ______'s effect. Not build a wonder and get all of the ______(e)s in one foe swoop.
Old October 29, 2001, 19:13   #257
manofthehour
Warlord

To any one who has the game and the statagy guide. How do the two compair. Is it usefull?
Old October 29, 2001, 20:05   #258
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

upgrading
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I am so happy that we will be able to "upgrade" units instead of just disbanding them or having a warrior running around my civ in the year 2020!
i totally agree -- i run a perfectionist nation, and there's NOTHING worse than not being able to upgrade. I mean, the ability to upgrade is really really helpful.

Does anyone know how this is implemented (i'm sure this has been answered somewhere else, but i haven't heard an answer, so...)? Can you, on a unit-by-unit level, choose what to upgrade and when to upgrade it? Also, can you choose what to upgrade to (within reason -- no sense in upgrading an infantry to a tank, but there's lots of sense in being able to upgrade an infantry to a marine OR a commando -- just two examples, can't think of any real units to use ). Thanks in advance...

-- adaMada
Old October 29, 2001, 23:09   #259
Cluk
Settler

Local Time: 07:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Döbeln_2001

If I'm not mistaken, it takes 1 turn for an ICBM to hit, so your enemy will have plenty of time to launch a counterstrike.
"Sir, the Russians have launched a missile at Chicago!"
"Good thing we can move our 11 Modern Armor and 7 Mech Infantry out to the fortresses 2 squares away!"
ICBMs are supposed to be too fast for a meaningful response... ah well, I suppose this is the price of a better game.
Old October 29, 2001, 23:17   #260
Andrew1999
Warlord

Re: upgrading
Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada

i totally agree -- i run a perfectionist nation, and there's NOTHING worse than not being able to upgrade. I mean, the ability to upgrade is really really helpful.

Does anyone know how this is implemented (i'm sure this has been answered somewhere else, but i haven't heard an answer, so...)? Can you, on a unit-by-unit level, choose what to upgrade and when to upgrade it? Also, can you choose what to upgrade to (within reason -- no sense in upgrading an infantry to a tank, but there's lots of sense in being able to upgrade an infantry to a marine OR a commando -- just two examples, can't think of any real units to use ). Thanks in advance...

-- adaMada
Each unit has a type it upgrades to. You can do the units individually or upgrade an entire class at once. Not every type can be upgraded though--for example, you can't make the jump from Cavalry to Tanks.
Old October 29, 2001, 23:25   #261
RodLosAngeles
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:17
Andrew, thanx man! You're doing a great job for all of us still without the game!
Old October 29, 2001, 23:27   #262
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Cluk
"Sir, the Russians have launched a missile at Chicago!"
"Good thing we can move our 11 Modern Armor and 7 Mech Infantry out to the fortresses 2 squares away!"
ICBMs are supposed to be too fast for a meaningful response... ah well, I suppose this is the price of a better game.

I think that the ICBM damage range is like an 8 square radius, so moving them that far wont help at all. And if they plaster your entire continent with ICBMs, even inifinite railways wont help you any...
Old October 30, 2001, 02:33   #263
khassani
Settler

Does anyone know if the stealth aircrafts in CivIII actually have stealth (kinda like an air version of submarines) or are they still just upgraded planes?
Old October 30, 2001, 05:45   #264
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by khassani
Does anyone know if the stealth aircrafts in CivIII actually have stealth (kinda like an air version of submarines) or are they still just upgraded planes?
There missions have a 5% chance of being intercepted by another plane, as opposed to like a 50% chance for normal planes. (figures approximate, cant find source)

But yeah, they are actually stealthy