Old October 27, 2001, 17:23   #1
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 08:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Looking for plain SMAX game
I'd like to start a game of SMAX (unless someone else needs a player and has a game of this description going). My preferred settings would be:

Level: Thinker
World: Standard Random (+- 1 size level)
Factions: All SMAX

Playstyle: I'm considering running this like Googlie's Role Play series. No treaties with factions opposing your agenda, be especially friendly with those that match it. There are far fewer predetermined enmities than in SMAC, so it should have a freer form, and potentially be interesting. But, there are a few predetermined conflicts, as follows:

- Aliens could never have any status other than war.
- Aliens must war against human factions at peace with their
enemies.
- Data Angels could never treaty with Pirates (Aversion: Power)
- Drones could never treaty with Cult of Planet (Aversion: Green)

Note that I don't require that they be constantly at war. Simply refusing to have anything to do with them (and taking any opportunity to limit their opportunities, by war or otherwise; especially appropriate in SMAC for pacifistic Morgan and Dirdre) is sufficient for human enmities. For aliens, war is required, destruction by any means necessary, absolute.

For those that don't have it memorized:
Cult of Planet: Choice: Green; Aversion: Wealth
Cybernetic Conciousness: Choice: Cybernetic; Aversion: Fundy
Data Angels: Choice: Democratic; Aversion: Power
Drones: Choice: Eudaimonic; Aversion: Green
Manifold Caretakers: Choice: Planned; Aversion: Usurpers
Manifold Usurpers: Choice: Planned; Aversion: Caretakers
Pirates: Choice: Power; Aversion: None

Of corse, their goals are far more discriptive in the Datalinks. For example:

Cult of Planet: Goal: Return planet to it's natrual state. The question is, is their own extermination at the hands of the Caretakers a suitable means to this end? (And, are the Caretakers trustworthy?)

Any takers? Anyone willing to GM? I want to play! If so, post your preferred faction (first come first serve) the time (and zone) you can post turns (so I can coordinate an order to maximize the turn rate) and your email address. Mine is ghoti@pacbell.net
Take me as I am.
Old October 27, 2001, 18:39   #2
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 17:18
I would like to play. I . Like gaians, pirates and conciusness.
when do we EXACTLY start? (i've been to many games, and all endend badly..everybody just quitted)
Hope to start soon!!!
Old October 27, 2001, 20:21   #3
Ironwood
Prince

We start as soon as we've got at least four players. If anyone wishes to play the Aliens, I will require that we have another human player to play the other Aliens (can't have an exceptional human player beating out a predictable AI and having that huge Alien advantage. So that makes two of us. Two more, and I'm willing to start the game.

What times during the day are conveniant for you to play your turn?

Also, if nobody volunteers to GM, I suppose I could do it (keep track of passwords so if someone drops, we can keep the game going with a new player... if everyone's willing to trust me with that. If not, we'll just have to get a neutral to do the job.

Given that my other game is only giving me a turn about once a week I too am looking forward to playing.

Actually, given how much I want to play, I would consider a three or four player game with a "play whom you will" atmosphere. I still want to do a full seven player "Role Play" style game of pure SMAX (sign up here!), but I am willing to start another game of SMAX with a play who you will style, with random factions for the computer. So we, and two others, can play that, while I'm still waiting for a full seven player game of pure SMAX.
Take me as I am.
Old October 27, 2001, 20:51   #4
arborman
Warlord

Local Time: 10:18
I'm into a game, to round out the other game I'm getting into right now. I play until the end or I get wiped out, because I want others to. I will play any faction, though I prefer Uni, Consciousness, or one of the war factions. I could play an alien, but I find war a little boring after awhile. nickist@home.com
Old October 27, 2001, 21:49   #5
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 16:18
The thing is that up to a 4-5 PBEM you still okey, at least if you are in different stages with the different games. As I told Ironwood earlier, with only one PBEM you will be bored out of hell, so you should get started in a few right away.

I'm sorry I can't join you (I have 6 PBEM right now plus another one starting any day now), but if any of you wanna join ASPK II ( a smac game) then you're welcome! Stop by the thread and let us know your interest.

-knowhow2
Old October 28, 2001, 12:55   #6
arborman
Warlord

Local Time: 10:18
I'd still love to play, but if you want to contact me use nickistca@yahoo.com, because my main email is down and malfunctioning for some reason.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:40   #7
Ironwood
Prince

Well, if you guys would like to start a 3 player game, since nobody else said they want to play, we can do that. With only three of us, I think we can go without a moderator (since if someone drops out, no biggie; it's not as if it's an epic seven player experimental game or anything). So if you're into it, go ahead and pick your faction (any of them will do), and Lord Icewind, if you could, either post your email address here (I suppose I could search the other threads for it, but why?), or just send me one, at ghoti@pacbell.net.

I still want to start a pure RP style game of plain SMAX, seven players, but I suppose I'll have to wait for some of the hard core games to either reach a conclusion or peter out for that to happen. Maybe, if I can get Googlie enthused about the idea...
Take me as I am.
Old October 28, 2001, 23:02   #8
Comstr
Prince

Local Time: 15:18
I'd like to Play
Hi there..been waiting 3 days for an account on here. I'd like to play, if you still have time.

I've never played a MP game before, best game I've won vs the AI is thinker.

I'd like to play as Cybernetic if possible, it's the closest to my normal faction of PeaceKeeper.
Old October 29, 2001, 00:01   #9
Comstr
Prince

Re: I'd like to Play
Quote:
Originally posted by Comstr
Hi there..been waiting 3 days for an account on here. I'd like to play, if you still have time.

I've never played a MP game before, best game I've won vs the AI is thinker.

I'd like to play as Cybernetic if possible, it's the closest to my normal faction of PeaceKeeper.
EDIT- seeing as you're allowing any faction, I'd like to play as PeaceKeeper. My email is comstar@optushome.com.au
Old October 29, 2001, 00:37   #10
Ironwood
Prince

Very well then; we have a game! It's looking very much like people are wanting to play primarily SMAC factions, though I'd like to play SMAX, anyway. The roster:

Me (Ironwood): Conciousness
Aborman: University
Comstr: Peacekeepers

I'll get this game going as soon as I can! (And, as soon as I track down Lord_Icewind's email, if necessary.)

Edit: I removed Icewind. If (s)he can't even post here often enough to get Knowhow2 his/her email address, I doubt (s)he would be a reliable player.
Take me as I am.

Last edited by Ironwood; October 29, 2001 at 00:42.
Old October 29, 2001, 00:41   #11
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe, if I can get Googlie enthused about the idea...
:: snaps to attention :: HUH? Wassup?

G.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:08   #12
Ironwood
Prince

Let the games begin!
Game is started! Turn tracking thread is here.

Please, always post it here when you pass your turn on. That way, we know who to at when the game suddenly stalls.
Take me as I am.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:17   #13
Comstr
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironwood
Very well then; we have a game! It's looking very much like people are wanting to play primarily SMAC factions, though I'd like to play SMAX, anyway. The roster:

Me (Ironwood): Conciousness
Aborman: University
Comstr: Peacekeepers
Note: I'm in Australia Eastern Austarlian Daylight Time (Time zone GMT+10), and will generally be doing my turns at night (which is 4am US time). I might be able to do another turn 6 hours later, and another one 8 hours after that (possibly).