Old October 29, 2001, 01:32   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 15:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Questions on Enabling Techs??
Hi Guys,
I don't know if anyone out there can help me, but I'm trying to get a handle on a few Advance related issues.
#1) In the Avault Strategy guide, it's said that the U.N becomes available after nuclear fission. Yet I can't see anything that matches this wonder ounder that section of the tech tree. Additionally, they say that tac-nukes become available with space flight, and ICBM's with sattelites. Is this true? If it is it seems quite strange. I suspect an error considering that, according to the guide, you don't get nuclear subs until you have Fusion!!!

#2) When you get flight, I can see 3 things which become available. The first 2 are the bomber and the fighter, but the 3rd looks like a tower of some sort, possibly a tile improvement? What is that. I can't get a close enough look to see it, but I thought maybe someone else might!!

Anyway, any clarification would be most appreciated.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:43   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
1)Yes, the UN wonder is visible under Fission, and the "fusion" thing is a typo, you do get nuclear subs with fission.

2)Probably an airport city improvement.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:47   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:24
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
2)Probably an airport city improvement.
Yes, that's my guess. It might be an picture of a Control Tower of some sort.
Old October 29, 2001, 02:21   #4
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Strange, under fission I see 2 things. 1) A picture of an, obviously, nuclear submarine and 2) The Fat Man atomic bomb (which obviously relates to "The Manhattan Project"), but no U.N picture?! Could you possibly send an attachment of it so I can see?

Secondly, the airport improvement can be clearly seen under radio. So the flight related improvement "might" be a Radar tower (increasing the visibility of a city or, if it's a tile improvement, then allowing you to detect enemy units passing that tile??)

On another note, what's the "Castle" I can see under the Monarchy Advance?

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:09   #5
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 16:24
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
That's the Hanging Gardens.
Old October 29, 2001, 18:01   #6
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

OK Guys, having looked at a more enlarged Tech-Tree on the Civ Fanatics Site I think I've managed to work out the following:
1) Radio enables the U.N (I think, though it kind of makes sense!)
2) Flight enables Airport (again, makes sense)
3) Space flight has pictures of TWO missiles, making me think that both tactical nukes and ICBM's become available at that time! (This isn't so bad, as you probably will have just finished The Manhattan Project" by the time this advance is researched!!)
4) Communism enables Police Station (as before, though what it's effect might be is uncertain!)
Anyway, if anyone has a better interpretation of the modern/industrial tech tree than this, then I'll be glad to hear it, and thanks to those who've tried to answer my questions.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.