Old October 28, 2001, 12:18   #1
old dog
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Significant changes in Wonders
Andrew 1999 has posted what each Wonder grants, according to the strategy guide, in his excellent thread. I noticed some very interesting difference from Civ 2:
Great Wall: Doubles effects of walls in cities that have them. Doubles attack strength vs. barbarians. Expires with Metallurgy.
Shakespeare's Theater: Makes 8 unhappy citizens in that city content
Sistine Chapel: Doubles the effect of Cathedrals
Smith's Trading Company: Free maintenance for Marketplaces, Banks, Harbors, and Airports

Whenever I aimed to be a peaceful developer in Civ 2(which was often), I depended heavily on the Great Wall to ensure mostly peaceful co-existence with my neighbors. Now it will not ensure peace but only protect cities; double city walls is very good indeed, but only small cities will have city walls in Civ 3, and, in any case, this does not protect resources, fortifications, and other units.

I almost always depended on Shakespeare's Theater to create one super-city to double as an incredible science city and a good production city. Of course, 8 unhappy citizens made happy is still a very nice benefit, but it is no longer an overwhelming thing. And it looks like cities will more often grow larger in Civ 3, so this wonder could really have gotten out of hand in its impact.

The Sistine Chapel does NOT provide a cathedral in every city -- it doubles the effects of each cathedral you build. Many of us had wondered whether this wonder would give each city the cultural benefit of a cathedral along with the contented population benefit. This answers the question. However, this still looks like an extremely good wonder, since it is a way to achieve a very large number of contented citizens in a city -- essential for these large Civ 3 cities. This also means that the "religious" civ attribute is better than it looked, because you are going to be building a lot of cathedrals during the game, and they are expensive.

Smith's Trading Company always single handedly solved all my concerns over gold, at least until very late in the game. It is very noticeable that libraries and temples, two of the most common city improvements (and even more central to the game now that culture has been added), are not covered, which will weaken the impact of this wonder. At least at first glance, I think I would now pass on this wonder.

None of this is a complaint. I think all of these are probably gameplay improvements. These four wonders were so good in Civ 2 as to be abusive, and I think this will be more balanced. With these changes, I lose some of my favorite tricks that ensured victory almost every time I played. But, of course, there's no surer way to become bored with a game than to know you are going to win from the start.
Old October 28, 2001, 12:31   #2
Akron
Prince

One minor thing. It seems, from screen shots and all the info so far, that cities in civ 3 will actually be smaller than in civ 2. First, terraforming and double irrigation have been removed, which were both essential to getting cities that could support 35+ citizens. Second, there is no more pop boom. However, standard growth rates in civ 3 will be much greater than in civ 2, as I believe towns have food boxes of 20, cities 40, and metropolises 60 (?). The largest city I've seen so far in a screenshot was 28. In civ 2, my cities at the end of the game used to be on average around 30.
Old October 28, 2001, 12:50   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:26
No transforming? Where did you get that?
Old October 28, 2001, 12:55   #4
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
No transforming? Where did you get that?
Bump thread, page 5. He lists the things that workers can perform, and neither terraforming nor double irrigation is there. But you can clear forests.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=5
Old October 28, 2001, 14:00   #5
Sratava
Settler

You can always edit wonders with the editor.
Old October 28, 2001, 14:09   #6
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:26
You can also clear jungles and swamps i think because those give desiese to your workers working those tiles.
Old October 28, 2001, 14:11   #7
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 17:26
Wohoo! No land transforming! I always wondered, what kind of spell did those engineers use when they made hills from grassland...

edit: Rasbelin, lol, good one!

Last edited by Wexu; October 28, 2001 at 16:33.
Old October 28, 2001, 15:16   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Wexu
I always wondered, what kind of spell did those engineers use when they made hills from grassland...
O mighty pieces of mud, small rocks and
heaps of sand, please transform yourselves to
some great hills.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:12   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
They probably just borrowed all the excess dirt i had from turning my mountains and hills into grasslands
Old October 30, 2001, 17:01   #10
Ironwolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:26
What is this "when the worker works a swamp tile they get diseases"?
Old November 6, 2001, 10:19   #11
Awender
Settler

Local Time: 16:26
Did you notice that every wonder can be built by several civs? In the manual they differentiate Major and Minor Wonders. During the gameplay I didn't experience such a thing.

For example: Pyramids are built by almost 8 nations ans so on.
Old November 6, 2001, 10:23   #12
August Borms
Prince

every civ can start building a major wonder but only one can complete it
Old November 6, 2001, 10:25   #13
Auslander
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Awender
Did you notice that every wonder can be built by several civs? In the manual they differentiate Major and Minor Wonders. During the gameplay I didn't experience such a thing.

For example: Pyramids are built by almost 8 nations ans so on.
Minor wonders are available to all Civs. 1 per Civ. Only one Civ can build major wonders.

Minor wonders - Forbidden Palace, Intelligence Agency, Pentagon, etc.

They become available when you accomplish certain goals. Wall Street appears when you construct 5 banks.

Pyramids are still a great wonder.
Old November 7, 2001, 02:42   #14
Awender
Settler

In my game Pyramids are built by 5 nations. I have a game, where Pyramids can be found in 5 cities.

Should I emphasize more? I never change anything in the game (game editor or so on).
Old November 7, 2001, 03:04   #15
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Awender - zip up the save file and put it on the web please. (Or email it to me at fracui@hotmail.com) I'd very much like to have a look at it. Never saw this happening in my games...
Old November 7, 2001, 03:21   #16
MaSsConFUsi0n
Chieftain

double irrigation isn't in the game, but railroads over irrigated land now increase the food. railroads over mined land increase the shields. there is no transforming terrain like in civ2 (ie tundra to desert, etc).

MaSsConFUsi0n
Old November 7, 2001, 08:44   #17
1Razor
Settler

Quote:
[SIZE=1] there is no transforming terrain like in civ2 (ie tundra to desert, etc).

MaSsConFUsi0n
Not sure if I'm happy about this, since when have engineers been unable to irigate desert to create an Oasis, or decimate a mountain and turn it into a forest (given the time and resources). It just doesn't ring true with real life I'm afraid...........
Gaming: Silverstone TJ07, Asus P5Q Del, Q9550 @3.2, GTX285, 4Gb OCZ PC8500, 750GB Spinpoint F1, Corsair HX1000, Dell 2408WFP, WinXP SP3. Folding: Antec 300, Asus P5Q Del, Q9550 @3.2, 2*8800GT, 4GB Corsair PC6400, 750GB Spinpoint F1, Corsair HX620, Win7 x64. Folding: Antec 300, Asus P6TD Del, i7 920 @3.8, 9800GTX+8800GT, 6GB Corsair PC12800, 1TB Spinpoint F1, Corsair HX1000, Win 7 x64.
Old November 9, 2001, 17:55   #18
gfrazieror
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:26
I've just built Universal Sufferage, and have noticed that I can still build police stations. In Civ II, Women's Sufferage took the place of police stations. Does this mean that I can get, in essence, double the war weariness relief by bulding police stations in my cities?