Closed Thread

Old November 2, 2001, 21:04   #61
Corpus_Delicti
Settler

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think I may have found I bug that I haven't seen reported anywhere else. I started play as the Egyptians and soon met the Americans. Once the Americans discovered writing, they setup an Embassy in my capitol ... later I fianally traded for Writing with another civ and was going to setup an Embassy in the Americans' capitol as well only one had already been setup. It seems that when the Americans setup their Embassy, it sort of ended up being two-way, allowing me to perform the Espionage actions on them as well.

Anyone else seen this?
Old November 3, 2001, 00:56   #62
Timinator
Settler

Local Time: 07:26
Startup Crash - Nvidia
Well, I guess I'm one of the ones that has the Startup crash problem as well. Running the following:

AMD Athlon 850Mhz
128MB RAM
Win ME
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 64 Pro video board
Driver 4.13.01.2183

Installed okay. First screen of launch has bands of garbage running through it. Screen mode changes. Then INFOGRAMES logo comes up. System hangs.

I spent about 3 hours trying to get around this with no joy.

Timinator -
Old November 3, 2001, 01:18   #63
Wombat
Settler

Local Time: 15:26
Railroad improves food, not shields.
I've been building railroads for the first time in civ 3, and I've noticed it's improving the food production of the squares, and not affecting the shield production at all. Shouldn't it be the other way around? The civilopedia says shield production is improved, but that's not what happens.
Old November 3, 2001, 02:59   #64
Insigna
Chieftain

Brand: IBM aptiva
CPU: AMD 400
RAM: 64mb
VideoCard: AMD-K6(tm) 3D prosseser
SoundCard: ?
CDDrive: Cd RW
Modem: 17 inch
Problem: Help. I can't get Civilization 3 to work. I am at the screen where you chouse how frequent barbarians are and whether you want continents islands ect. But when i click the circle to move on i get the "this program has preformed an illegal opperation and will be shut down" message. The tutorial game will start up but it shows the same message within a few seconds. Plus I have only 200 fonts and i have the jumbled word problem too.
Old November 3, 2001, 03:39   #65
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 11:26
AI Trade Bug

The AI refused to trade 1 Luxury + 50 Gold (lump sum) in exchange for 1 Luxury + Printing Press, but agreed to the trade when the lump sum was changed to 15 Gold (per turn). That's a minimum of 300 Gold. The AI had 235 Gold in the Treasury at the time.

Last edited by playshogi; November 3, 2001 at 08:19.
Old November 3, 2001, 05:48   #66
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Air Recon sometimes makes the fog-of-war stay permanently away after a mission, or at least until another of my units moves around the general area.

I can confirm that I have never seen any of my planes be succesful at Air Superiority.

In the Domestic Advisor screen, clicking at the top of the columns for 'food eaten/food stored', 'big smileys/little smileys', etc, makes the order of the list of cities change to the appropriate category, but only for a second before it automatically reverts back to the default order.

Sometimes when ships sink from combat, there is a small black line that appears just left and next to the sinking animation, but quickly goes away after the animation is complete.

Suggestion: The domestic advisor's suggestions for production are impossibly annoying. I am in the modern age, but she keeps on insisting making ancient units, and Privateers and such. She needs to get smarter faster I think.
Old November 3, 2001, 07:45   #67
WyattMax
Settler

Grafik bug
Another possible glitch with the GFX :

I am currently playing Egyptian, and from time to time
i get a real lightshow on my units.

My Borders turn black, and all my units start changing
colours rapidly in other civ colors. It looks like this :

Rebooting and reloading the save game usually doesnt work,
the GFX glitch is still there, after some time it stops, then it
changes back to usual colors again.

Civ3Bug 150Kbyte ZIP Savegame

I have uploaded this savegame, maybe someone can verify
if it is buggy with him as well.

My System :

Athlon SlotA - 700
640 MB Ram
WinXP & Win98SE
Nvidia Detonator 21.88
Geforce 2 MX

Cheers,

ME

Last edited by WyattMax; November 6, 2001 at 18:58.
Old November 3, 2001, 12:15   #68
civplayer
Settler

Okay I thought I would the post the save game that doesn't seem to be allowing me to run air superiority missions effectively for Firaxis to possibly look at.

I tried the file on two different computers and the same problem which leads me to suspect the problem might not be system specific.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip alexander of the greeks, 1958 ad.zip (165.4 KB, 251 views)
Old November 3, 2001, 13:36   #69
mattbolas
Settler

When you guys fix your hardware/software problems you have more surprises. That is poor design and gameplay. The issues I have found are, not in any order:

1) The Governor that will not stay off when set off. Much time is wasted by returning to cities to change the unwanted unit that the governor is building or to manually set a large amount of desired units in the queue.

2) The Strategic resource scheme. We Can't build units until you have the resources. This makes the game unplayable since the maps generated have very little of these resources. I am reminded of the old Sid Microprose game "Colonization" which had that problem. Sorry Sid the idea this promoting trade doesn't work. The idea that 4 or 5 strategic resource not be plentiful on the earth is not reasonable at all. Did Germany lose WW2. because they didn't have iron to make panzers ? I think not. Maybe trade them luxury items like Civ 2.

3) In a scenario we can't set the starting location, so if your the Americans you start in India or wherever ?

4) Horrible World map. it doesn't have an England !! The Civ II is better.

5) The "streamlined" menu interface is poor. It takes more mouse clicks and more of my memory to get to simple commands or queries. There are some commands that are either well hidden or you have to no a keyboard short-cut. Yes those are in the manual, but is that an intuitive easy interface design to rely on the manual for navigation. The interface has gone a step backward. Alpha Centauri interface and Civ 2 is fine in this area.

6) What happened to the wonder movies ? and Why don't they tell us on the same screen what they will do for us ? Once again Alpha Centauri and Civ 2 is fine in this area. In the build queue you can't get information what a wonder will do before building the wonder as easy as in Civ 2. In Civ 3 you can't get help in that screen you to exit and go to the "C" then go back to the build queue.

7) I understand the Galley floundering in deep ocean, but why the Caravel ? Enough already!

We need Civ 3 fixed !!!
Otherwise the word will get out that Civ 3 is no better than CTP I and II.
Civ 2 still is the best game. I hope they fix Civ 3, so I can change my mind.

Old November 3, 2001, 13:59   #70
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 09:26
Gameplay bug:
in the domestic screen (not sure about the others), when you click on the city name/production/wealth/etc. it resorts the order from lowest->highest, or highest->lowest (as it should), BUT EVERYTIME the domestic advisor's "hint" changes it refreshes the ENTIRE screen, and resorts teh list back to the default. this is rather annoying. What is should do is JUST refresh the tip box, and not the entire screen, so the newly sorted order (e.g. highest->lowest wealth) stays untill you leave the screen.
Old November 3, 2001, 14:40   #71
mattbolas
Settler

Lets get feedback to Fireaxis and other review games sites
In reading all the posts here it is clear that civ 3 needs some serious patch help.

I would ask everyone here to at least get on the following "Game Sites" and post the same problems and general review comments that we have seen here at
Apolyton.

- Happy puppy
- ZDNET Gamespot

When the reviews and feedback show that Civ 3 is not worth the
money until patched, Fireaxis will react and patch the product.

Also send direct freedback to
http://www.ina-support.com/faq/civ3_pc.asp

Because infogames is the support site for Fireaxis on this game.
Hopefully Sid will read those. It is hard to believe that Sid game tested this product.

If we don't provide feedback and get the word out on every hardware/software issue as well as the numerous game play issues, then why Fireaxis react with a patch.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:45   #72
Yossarian
Settler

Sound bug: when reloading saved games, there is intermittent static in the music. Fix is to turn off music, then turn it back on. This only happens when reloading saved games.

Athlon 1.2 GHz
MSI K7T-Turbo, Via 4-in-1 4.29
256 MB SDRAM
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Win98SE
Old November 3, 2001, 18:41   #73
FLGator
Settler

Illegal Operation Error
I consistantly get a "Illegal Operation" error before I even get to the intro movie. I have tried just about every method suggested by Tech Support and various help forums. Same error without fail.

PIII 500 ThinkPad 600x
NeoMagic MagicMedia 256ZX
Crystal SoundFusion
192 MB RAM
Windows 98SE
Old November 3, 2001, 20:23   #74
BigBopper
Chieftain

two possible problems

first my system:
AMD Athlon 1400
256 meg ram
Soundblster live sound card
Geforce 3 Video (64 meg)

Game is LE addition

The first is that I can't find a way to break a trade deal after 20 turns, and they don't seem to end automatically. I've been trading say two luxuries for a luxury and a tech or two. The problem is without the ability for me to break the agreement after twenty turns I lose the extra luxury forever unless I go to war. The computer has the ability to break such agreements after 20 turns, don't we?

The second problem is with strategic resources. I will go to the trade screen and it will accurately show the type and amount of strategic resources I have. But in the diplomacy screen it either shows that I have fewer strategic resources, or the tab is just not there. The same goes for the computers side, often strategic resources are not even an option. Thus extra resources are nearly worthless to me and it’s nearly impossible to trade for anything I need.

Some one please either confirm these, or hit me over the head and tell me what I’m missing/doing wrong.
Old November 3, 2001, 20:52   #75
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

Grid mode togging bug

when have grid mode on, you can't toggle it off if you also are in tutorial mode
Old November 3, 2001, 21:51   #76
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

full screen toggling bug

If you have Always wait at end of turn - on, in preferences
and you no more units to move

press delete (which give you fullscreen)
then press backspace, (which toggles icon button layout)

you'll see this bug

Old November 3, 2001, 22:06   #77
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

unit goto city problem

when I have a unit ready to move, and press ctrl+shift+g

a goto city menu appears, the problem is you can't cancel or close the menu?!
Old November 4, 2001, 01:58   #78
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Bombarding and declaration of war
When you bombard someone's territory that you are at peace with, your unit (at least the naval units do this) will actually animate the bombard first, then AFTERwards, your foreign minister will prompt you asking if you want to take this course of action because it will cause a war, or just cancel the bombardment attack.

The prompt should come before you make the attack, not after.
Old November 4, 2001, 02:01   #79
kyser_sozay
Settler

Local Time: 10:26
dont know if this is a bug or i just dont understand how carriers work but i cant activate my planes that are on them i can select them but i cant use them at all.
Old November 4, 2001, 04:03   #80
mr. kotter
Settler

Local Time: 10:26
Strange bug...
This is a weird bug I found while playing my first few games.

In the foreign advisor screen you have the circles with the leaders of the different civs in them (or the sillouette if you haven't contacted them). After I destroyed one of the civs the circle with that civ's leader is deleted from the screen. When I start a new game the circle that was deleted in the previous game is still gone. No sillouette, nothing. Even after I contact all the civs it does not reappear. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Same thing.

The only way to get the circle for the eliminated civ to come back is delete all of you saved games (including the ones in the auto save file) and start a new game. You will then have all 8 circles back ready to be filled with the faces of the leaders. I've been able to reproduce this each time so its definitely a bug.

Another bug on this same screen is with the advisor himself. I advanced from the ancient age and he changed to the middle ages fellow. Once I got to the the industrial era he went back to the ancient guy.
Old November 4, 2001, 08:47   #81
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Quote:
Manual, page 185: Domestic Advisor
Cities in civil disorder are marked.
Of course, they aren't marked. The only ways to tell if a city is in disorder from the Domestic Advisor screen are:

1) Number of turns to complete current project listed as 9999.
2) Count faces.

Neither of these is easy to do "at a glance."
Old November 4, 2001, 11:16   #82
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

- true

but the mark is from map view, the city is 'smoking'

If I have 20 cities and 5 of them are civil disorder, it's a pain to track them down

Old November 4, 2001, 12:45   #83
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Qnuc.dk
- true

but the mark is from map view, the city is 'smoking'
You missed my point. The manual says they are marked on the domestic advisor screen -- in addition to smoking on the map screen. I want them clearly marked on the domestic advisor screen (as they were in Civ, Civ2, SMAC...) as well as the map screen.
Old November 4, 2001, 14:34   #84
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

You're right, civil disorder mark missing bug

As this post grows I hope the're veryfying the bugs (test if they are true) and list them to be corrected for next civ3 patch

Do the FIRAXES team read this post or does somebody post them the bug list?
Old November 4, 2001, 14:41   #85
Qnuc.dk
Chieftain

- upgrade fortified/garrisoned units bug

when you select a unit inside a city and press shift+U to upgrade all class units, then they will all be activated in the next turn

Just imagine you want to upgrade to riflemen and have 200 units because you play at a large map. Then in the next round you are forced to refortify all your 200 units

That is very annoying, and the effect is never wanting to upgrade
Old November 4, 2001, 14:43   #86
squid
Warlord

Cross referencing an already excellent list.

Read this too.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31527&perpage=30&pagenumber=1
Old November 4, 2001, 23:18   #87
gelat1
Settler

3 new bugs...
1. governor will not stop building privateers, with naval off for this city and all cities.....other items were set to build, so it had choices...

2. Nuclear meltdown of a city due to disorder, the dialog asks to a) zoom to city or b) oh well, blah blah...

zoom to city ends up canceling, and oh well ends up zooming

3. Precision bombing is only allowed on friendly cities...I have a save game to verify. they do not have SAM defenses. I lets me bomb MY cities, just not theirs....
Old November 4, 2001, 23:42   #88
CGreen
Chieftain

City Governors/Precision Bombing
Well, judging from the various posts, there are some problems. I just finished playing a "Space Race" campaign, and really only have 3 issues - so, here goes if anyone is listening...

1). Governors - they simply can't be turned off! When accessing the Governor screen, you can turn everything to NO/NEVER in ALL CITIES, but as soon as you close and re-open it the city selection is back to the game default. I'm sick to death of the Privateer productions.

2) Precision bombing - couldn't bomb anything but my own stuff.

3) After building the last space ship part, it takes you to the space ship build screen, but there is no exit from this point. You either launch the ship or turn it off. Why can't I launch it 5 turns from now, when I've finished all the tech advances (as an example?). Also - is the laser really required for "Party Laser" on the ship - cheezy

2 and 3 I can live with - but #1 is really annoying.

Of course, I can't complain. I played for over 20 hours this weekend
Old November 5, 2001, 01:19   #89
gelat1
Settler

I just tried to investigate then bomb - no go. Still failed..

BUT!!!!!!!!!

If you hold the mouse cursor over the enemy city and repeatedly press P at the same time you click the left mouse button - it let's you precision bomb!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1st time, I bombed a mech unit, and a dialog popped up saying a) take me to your leader and b) something else I forget

also, a windows box popped up saying "maximum hyerlinks exceeded"

it let me click take me to your leader and the civ advisor popped up wanting to broker a deal!!!

weird huh?
Old November 5, 2001, 03:12   #90
Sarxis
Emperor

It seems that the fortress and coastal fortress Zone of Control features are broken too.

A lot of people are stating they are not seeing these two improvements give the 'free shots' like they are supposed to.
Closed Thread