Old September 21, 2003, 04:50   #631
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I guess that it's welcome aboard to Ohwell and cheerio to Tanelorn.

EZ, were you planning on giving up the Arab League, or is Choke just being speculative?

Ohwell, PM me your email adress and I'll send you the latest versions of the events and rules files (you'll need to download the files at the start of this thread as well).
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 21, 2003, 22:29   #632
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 08:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
In not too long I'll be off to serve my country. I'll play this last turn (that is if groth can get to the turn promptly),then Choke will take over as custodian and supreme leader of the Arab League. But dont worry, I'm not leaving permanantly, I'll be back to posting within a few months

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Last edited by EZRhino; September 21, 2003 at 23:15.
Old September 22, 2003, 03:38   #633
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Are you being called up into the Army reserves or something? If so, I sure hope that you're not off to Iraq!
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old September 22, 2003, 13:48   #634
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
Aren't you doing naval OCS or something?
Old September 22, 2003, 17:45   #635
EZRhino
Prince

U.S. Army. I speak chinese so I want to go off to DLIFLC and be a linguist.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old September 22, 2003, 18:14   #636
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

As a future squid that acronym is meaningless to me. I'm guessing defense, intel, and language are in there somewhere...?
Old September 22, 2003, 18:18   #637
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 15:28
B-2 Raids on Kiev Again, the city is being worn down, unit by unit.
Attached Files:
File Type: net 2002mar.net (265.8 KB, 4 views)

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old September 22, 2003, 18:45   #638
EZRhino
Prince

Whoa, looks like we're going to have to lazyciv the turn Does anybody know how to do this?

Edit: Thanks darius.

Last edited by EZRhino; September 22, 2003 at 19:30.
Old September 22, 2003, 19:23   #639
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

*tells him on AIM*
Old September 23, 2003, 00:23   #640
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
As a future squid
I thought that you were in the Air Force ROTC
Old September 23, 2003, 01:39   #641
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

I just quit a couple months ago. I'm in good shape, but my double-fractured L4 vertebrae caused some problems with their very rigorous drills. That, and *points to sig*

Even to be a desk-jockeying intel weenie you have to pass their physical reqs every semester... their loss. Supposedly Navy basic involves about 3 pushups a day and the rest learning how to put out fires, so I should fit right in.

Last edited by Darius871; September 23, 2003 at 01:59.
Old September 24, 2003, 06:59   #642
Case
Emperor

Quote:
I just quit a couple months ago. I'm in good shape, but my double-fractured L4 vertebrae caused some problems with their very rigorous drills. That, and *points to sig*
Good for you. IMO, the USN is a much more sensible organisation then the USAF. It's also air conditioned.

Quote:
Supposedly Navy basic involves about 3 pushups a day and the rest learning how to put out fires, so I should fit right in.
...unless you have to fight the fires by bench pressing them or something
Old September 28, 2003, 03:03   #643
Case
Emperor

Choke, DoM has lazycived the turn and sent it to the email adress you gave him.

BTW, do I need to send you the latest files as well?
Old September 28, 2003, 15:31   #644
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
the USN is a much more sensible organisation then the USAF.
Could you be more specific?
Old September 28, 2003, 20:07   #645
Case
Emperor

From what I've seen and read over the years, the USAF is run by blind air-power idealoges while the USN's leadership has always taken a more realistic view of how wars are fought and won, and are a lot more keen on combined arms approaches.
Old September 28, 2003, 20:31   #646
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Ah, well from what I picked up during that year I agree.
Old September 29, 2003, 13:50   #647
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Come to think of it though, I see the Navy as run by similar ideologues, who think the supercarrier is the only ship we have that's worth a damn. Maybe they're useful against some armpit countries like Iraq or Afghanistan, but against a modern enemy carriers are a classic case of putting all your eggs in one basket. They have no defense whatsoever against high-tech cruise missiles AFAIK, and of course a carrier is a sitting duck to a nuclear blast (whether at 2,000 feet to disentegrate her, or 200 miles to fry her electronics with EMP). Even North Korea could destroy our theater carriers if they chose them as targets rather than Japanese & Korean cities.

This is why I'm a submarine man; they're invulnerable to all these things because the enemy doesn't know where they are. Anyway, let's just pray there aren't any wars against real powers anytime in the next century, so our doctrine blunders don't come to the fore.
Old September 29, 2003, 19:33   #648
Case
Emperor

Quote:
They have no defense whatsoever against high-tech cruise missiles AFAIK
That's what the carrier battlegroup is there for US Carriers are best though of a a giant box full of aircraft. The work of protecting them is delegated to other ships, and this makes a fair bit of sence - defencive systems take up a lot of space which would be better used to squeeze more aircraft in.

BTW, IMO the USN's real weakness is it's astonishingly lame minesweeping ability. The British Navy has a much larger and better equiped minesweeping force then the USN, and even the Australian minesweeping force isn't far behind the USN's (it's ships are better for starters).

Quote:
Even North Korea could destroy our theater carriers if they chose them as targets rather than Japanese & Korean cities.
Dunno, they'd be a rather hard target to hit, even with nuclear missiles. The Soviets used to earmark an entire ICBM regiment to go after the USNs carriers, so I imagine that the USN has worked up some decent defencive tactics.

You are right though in that carriers are vunerable to lots of things: hell, in it's last ever patrol a couple of years ago, one of Australia's 1960s era Oberon class submarines 'sank' the USS Enterprise in an exercise off Hawaii.

Quote:
This is why I'm a submarine man; they're invulnerable to all these things because the enemy doesn't know where they are.
...but they're so claustrophopic. Have you ever been on a submarine? I've been on several (at various museums) and they're all awful.
Old September 30, 2003, 00:30   #649
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
That's what the carrier battlegroup is there for US Carriers are best thought of a a giant box full of aircraft. The work of protecting them is delegated to other ships, and this makes a fair bit of sence - defencive systems take up a lot of space which would be better used to squeeze more aircraft in.
Of course I know that, but you can't guarantee our AEGIS systems will down two dozen Exocets, Brahmos, Shipwrecks, Switchblades, Styx, or C-701's launched simultaneously. There's just no way.

IMO the -->only<-- reason we've never lost a supercarrier is because we've never used them against a country worth a damn at sea.

Quote:
Dunno, they'd be a rather hard target to hit, even with nuclear missiles.
Why would it be a hard target to hit? It of course depends on what theater, what enemy, distance from shore, etc. Odds are even if air recon, radar, buoys don't pick up a carrier group, they'd still have a submarine or two trailing it to radio in its coordinates. A detonation wouldn't have to be accurate anyway; the EMP from a high-altitude blast would disable any ship within miles.

Quote:
hell, in it's last ever patrol a couple of years ago, one of Australia's 1960s era Oberon class submarines 'sank' the USS Enterprise in an exercise off Hawaii.
Details!

Quote:
...but they're so claustrophopic. Have you ever been on a submarine? I've been on several (at various museums) and they're all awful.
Well, it just takes a certain kind of man to tolerate them. I don't think I'd be affected, as long as I have something good to read.
Old September 30, 2003, 01:00   #650
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Of course I know that, but you can't guarantee our AEGIS systems will down two dozen Exocets, Brahmos, Shipwrecks, Switchblades, Styx, or C-701's launched simultaneously. There's just no way.
I guess the argument is that the aircraft and battlegroup will keep those things out of range of the carrier, and the carrier will never go within the range of land based weapons. The ships are pretty tough though - the Enterprise and another super carrier (the Forstall?) both survived massive fires and the cook-off of ordanence.

Quote:
Why would it be a hard target to hit?
Balistic missiles can only really be targeted at a fixed spot. They take time to prepare and fire. Meanwhile the carrier would be manueuvering at 25+ knots. That makes for a hard target.

Quote:
Details!
I can't find any at the moment. From memory, the Aussie skipper correctly analysed the Enterprise's operating pattern, picked his position, turned off everything in the sub that made a noise and waited. Sure enough, the Enterprise lumbered along, the Australian skipper lined it up in his periscope, took a photograph and released a bouy. Scratch one carrier.

Aparently it's not unusual for the USN to 'lose' carriers in this way in exercises - that's why they're quietly freaking out over the Iranian Kilos.
Old September 30, 2003, 09:59   #651
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:

I guess the argument is that the aircraft and battlegroup will keep those things out of range of the carrier, and the carrier will never go within the range of land based weapons.
Out of curiousity, how wide is the standard battle group?

Quote:

The ships are pretty tough though - the Enterprise and another super carrier (the Forstall?) both survived massive fires and the cook-off of ordanence.
I'm not talking about sending them to the bottom with all hands; simply disabling them would suffice. EMP wouldn't sink a carrier, but it'd sure stop any sorties being flown from it, and same goes for a gaping hole in the flight deck from an AS missile.

Quote:

Balistic missiles can only really be targeted at a fixed spot. They take time to prepare and fire. Meanwhile the carrier would be manueuvering at 25+ knots. That makes for a hard target.
It doesn't depend on the generation of missile? I'd imagine if we could design targeting systems that could put a Harpoon right into the side of a ship despite the ships maneuvers, we (and therefore an enemy as well) could design a missile which would detonate a nuclear warhead within a few bloody miles.

Quote:

I can't find any at the moment. From memory, the Aussie skipper correctly analysed the Enterprise's operating pattern, picked his position, turned off everything in the sub that made a noise and waited. Sure enough, the Enterprise lumbered along, the Australian skipper lined it up in his periscope, took a photograph and released a bouy. Scratch one carrier.
So modern navy exercises assume that 1 or 2 torpedoes will always sink a supercarrier?
Old September 30, 2003, 15:12   #652
0hwell
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:28
Is it my turn?
Old September 30, 2003, 17:39   #653
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

It's Choke's, and I haven't seen him in ages.
Old October 1, 2003, 06:53   #654
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Out of curiousity, how wide is the standard battle group?
The unclassified figure is up to 100 km. As for the real figure: who knows? The USN is rather tight with that kind of information. For instance, the maximum speed the Nimitz class carriers can sail at is strictly classified (the smart money is on about 40 knots without cargo aircraft and ordenance and less then 35 knots with a full load of equipment).

Quote:
It doesn't depend on the generation of missile? I'd imagine if we could design targeting systems that could put a Harpoon right into the side of a ship despite the ships maneuvers, we (and therefore an enemy as well) could design a missile which would detonate a nuclear warhead within a few bloody miles.
Any cruise missile would have to first be fired within range of the carrier (easier said then done), pass through the fighters which would be desperatly trying to hit them, pass through the missile envelopes of at least two AEGIS equipped ships before facing the Carriers (weak) point defence guns and missiles. It's a lot easier said then done - Soviet doctrine for attacking carriers seems to have called for massed attacks with around 100 missiles!

Quote:
So modern navy exercises assume that 1 or 2 torpedoes will always sink a supercarrier?
1 or 2? Most subs have at least 6 torpedo tubes, and modern torpedos generally hit. While they may not sink the carrier, they'll definetly make it too slow to be able to carry out flight operations and will put it in the yards for at least a year.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:20   #655
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Any cruise missile would have to first be fired within range of the carrier (easier said then done), pass through the fighters which would be desperatly trying to hit them, pass through the missile envelopes of at least two AEGIS equipped ships before facing the Carriers (weak) point defence guns and missiles. It's a lot easier said then done - Soviet doctrine for attacking carriers seems to have called for massed attacks with around 100 missiles!
Nonononono, you totally misunderstood my post. I wasn't talking about putting a nuke on a sea-skimming cruise missile. I meant that if they are able to design guidance systems SO precise that a missile can independently keep itself 20 meters above the surface, pull down to 6 meters before impact, and slam itself into the side of a ship, then designing a conventional ballistic missile that can detonate within a few miles of a carrier should be a breeze, comparatively.

Also, that's assuming they want to destroy the carrier; if you wish to disable it with EMP you don't have to be even remotely accurate. When we tested a bomb in the atmosphere over Johnson Atoll IIRC, streetlights and televisions some 1400 miles away burned out in Hawaii, which prompted the atmospheric test ban treaty. Some scientists theorize that a 20 megaton warhead detonated 200 miles above Kansas would cause blackouts across the entire United States. Long story short, a nuclear attack on a carrier group wouldn't have to be accurate at all.

Quote:
1 or 2? Most subs have at least 6 torpedo tubes, and modern torpedos generally hit.
Meh, I just scaled it down because I wouldn't know what an Oberon's armament is. They could launch waterballoons full of rotten coleslaw for all I know.

Last edited by Darius871; October 2, 2003 at 12:26.
Old October 4, 2003, 08:13   #656
Case
Emperor

PM sent to Choke...

...however, he hasn't posted since mid September, so I'm close to declaring him another victim of the zombies/Syrians/Euro (chose the factor you consider to be your current national enemy )

Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Darius871 Nonononono, you totally misunderstood my post. I wasn't talking about putting a nuke on a sea-skimming cruise missile. I meant that if they are able to design guidance systems SO precise that a missile can independently keep itself 20 meters above the surface, pull down to 6 meters before impact, and slam itself into the side of a ship, then designing a conventional ballistic missile that can detonate within a few miles of a carrier should be a breeze, comparatively.
AFAIK, there's never been a balistic missile capable of being effectively retargeted after launch. The whole 'balistic' nature of the weapons tends to act against altering their targets I think that the US and USSR both had plans for re-targetable warheads in the late 80s, but I don't think that anything came of them. This is why nuclear bombers were kept on for so long - whatever their ability to realistically penetrate the other guys defences, at least they could be recalled after launch, something which just wasn't possible with ICBMs and, to a lesser extent, submarines.

Quote:
Also, that's assuming they want to destroy the carrier; if you wish to disable it with EMP you don't have to be even remotely accurate.
I take it that you're working on the assumption that the USN doesn't harden its warships electronics? All the carriers were designed to fight World War Three, and AFAIK, they'd be hardened, as are the aircraft. I vaugely recall reading something about the costs of hardening the USS George H. Bush being greater then expected, so I guess that this is still ongoing.

Last edited by Case; October 4, 2003 at 08:35.
Old October 5, 2003, 04:13   #657
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 07:28
Ok...I need to read the thread a bit and then I'll play my turn, my ISP cut me off, that's why I was MIA but I'm back and better than ever
Old October 5, 2003, 07:30   #658
Case
Emperor

Good to see you Choke. All the game files are now uploaded at: http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Case/Dragon.zip
Old October 6, 2003, 18:06   #659
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 07:28
Under the new consolidated administration of Saddam Hussein, the Arab League would like to assure our allies of continued support. However the President would like to express his concern at the violence along the border with Russia and would like to see the war come to an end acceptable to all parties involved. Therefore this month a cease-fire was signed with field officers of the Russian armed forces, President Hussein hopes President Putin will ratify a permanent peace treaty, of course terms of said treaty are negotiable.

This month Arab positions along the border with Russia were heavily fortified in case President Putin makes poor choices.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip arab2002mar.zip (67.4 KB, 2 views)
Old October 7, 2003, 21:00   #660
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

We congratulate the new Arab government for its devotion to peace. Surely the NATO will not continue their war alone.
Attached Files:
File Type: net china_2002_mar.net (265.8 KB, 2 views)