Old October 29, 2001, 21:25   #1
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
PBEM possibilities???
With the reported save game file size of 2.5MB it is no wonder that the game doesn't ship with MP/PBEM capabilities. What I'm wondering is if it will ever have the realistic capability of playing a PBEM game on a 56k dial up modem or will we all have DSL or cable modems in the near future environment that I am unaware of?

My gripe.
Old October 29, 2001, 22:38   #2
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 11:29
I agree that it may be a problem, but I'd rather have the extras in SP than have PBEM.
Old October 29, 2001, 23:31   #3
WhiteElephants
King

Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I just thought I'd post this observation as there is already a contingency of civers disappointed with the fact that the game doesn't ship with MP capabilities. Add in the fact that the save game files are 2.5MB and the prospects of PBEM shrink significantly for those of us confined to the channels of 56k modems.

I guess I'm just disappointed that I'm either going to have to upgrade to DSL/Cable or not play MP, if MP is ever even offered. It's just not feasible with the hardware I've got and I know I'm not alone in that department.
Old October 30, 2001, 00:20   #4
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
2.5MB?????

That's larger than the attachments allowed for some free webmail sites!

Looks like it's hopeless
Old October 30, 2001, 00:38   #5
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:29
No its only 2.5mb at least. Usaully its more

Ya too bad.....

Hey Phoenixcager..on the topic of PBEM.

Turn 76 to you
Old October 30, 2001, 01:11   #6
HawaiiFive-O
Warlord

Dan Magaha in the "First Impressions" thread said the file is big because it's not compressed. He said that by using WinZip he can get them down to a couple of hundred Kb.

That's not bad, provided you have a zip/unzip tool.
Old October 30, 2001, 01:12   #7
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

In the "First impressions" thread, Dan from Firaxis said the save game files aren't compressed so they will save and load quicker. If you compress them they'd be a couple hundred KB, similar to CTP PBEM turn files.

I know the CTP PBEM turns are compressed as I have had error message about file sizes come up and had to download the turn again. These messages are similar to the error message you get from a bad zip file.

So PBEM isn't out of the question. But as the game system stands, MP will not be a patch. They will have to change the way the game handles data to make any MP possible.
Old October 30, 2001, 01:15   #8
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 11:29
Quote:
So PBEM isn't out of the question. But as the game system stands, MP will not be a patch. They will have to change the way the game handles data to make any MP possible.
I'm confused what do you mean by that? I thought MP was going to be in the game, but they pulled it during the Summer; meaning the basic structure is going to be MP friendly.
Old October 30, 2001, 01:21   #9
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

There working on simutanoues MP.

Quote:
I know the CTP PBEM turns are compressed as I have had error message about file sizes come up and had to download the turn again. These messages are similar to the error message you get from a bad zip file.
this is true

Quote:
So PBEM isn't out of the question
Hope 16 player PBEM games will be possible . Imagine the pollution and world wars on that baby...
Old October 30, 2001, 01:46   #10
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
I'm confused what do you mean by that? I thought MP was going to be in the game, but they pulled it during the Summer; meaning the basic structure is going to be MP friendly.
TBS games are by nature MP friendly, each player (human or AI) plays its turn and passes the game on to the next player. In MP there must be some sort of data compression to speed the game data to the next player who may be halfway around the world. But Firaxis has chosen/ been told to, streamline the game to make SP play flow better. That means taking out the data compression out. Not being compressed the game processes the data faster, which translates to a smoother SP experience.