Old January 25, 2000, 09:26   #1
CivAddict #1
Warlord

Local Time: 22:33
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The ideal Spaceship
On one of this forums I read a discussion about OCC, I liked the challenge of it and decided to try it out. On the beginners levels it's easy to play, but at King level every decision and every turn is very important. Now I wonder what the perfect spaceship is, since I don't want to waste every turn. I usually build:
-3 modules of course
-3 components of each type (6 total)
-16 or somewhat structurals

Maybe with more components you can go faster and the building of them is worth the few extra turns producing.
I'm sure there are enough veterans out here who know the parts of the ultimate SS. Plese post them here.
Old January 25, 2000, 10:46   #2
Havelock Vetinari
Chieftain

you mean the fastest possible one, or the most points? I assume the first one, because most points is an easy answer.
It depends slightly on how much production you can churn out, whether building extra engines is a saving or not. The one must have is the -25% to running time Technology (too much SMAC showing here. was it Fusion Power?? Haven't played in ages).

------------------
May you live in Interesting Times...

Old January 25, 2000, 11:41   #3
CivAddict #1
Warlord

I mean the fastest possible, because I don't give a damn about points when I play OCC, whit rush buying I'll be able to get SS components in 1 turn. Is it worth building perhaps 5 fuel and 5 other (trust? can't recall the name I'm afraid) parts..
Old January 25, 2000, 12:27   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:33
Check this thread out
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/000228.html

It should answer your question. In OCC, speed of ship has to be balanced with the time it takes to build it, since you can only build one part per turn. Good Luck!
Old January 26, 2000, 05:57   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hey thanks for that thread, Ming. The origins of OCC in all its splendour! It's good to see that you all started as hamfisted as us recent converts.

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
Old January 26, 2000, 09:23   #6
CivAddict #1
Warlord

THNX for the thread. Guess I'll stick to 15-3-3-1-1-1 Space Ships. Still lots of trouble at King level but I'll get over it.
Old January 27, 2000, 00:44   #7
poppawoppa
Warlord

Local Time: 14:33
The absolute fastest ship I have ever encountered or read about is the 33-8-8-1-1-1 ship. This takes only 5.7 years from launch to arrival. However, in comparison to the 15-3-3-1-1-1 "minimal ship" with a 15.7 year travel time, the minimal would win if all civs start building as soon as Apollo WOW is done. The fastest would take 52 turns to build, compared to 24 for minimal. So you would be 28 years late in launching, and the other ship (minimal) would already be there for 13 years building a New And Even Greater Civilization!!
Old January 27, 2000, 07:24   #8
CivAddict #1
Warlord

But the 33-8-8-1-1-1 would probably be the best space ship, whenyour civilazation covers half the globe I guess. THNX for the numbers.
Old February 2, 2000, 06:54   #9
KenThur
Prince

Go for the max & disband some of your non-essential units for shields in the cities that are building pieces. +sell your non-essential improvements (graneries, acqaucts,courthouses,barraks,seaports,etc) & zero research while max'g taxes; thereby getting ALOT of gold to rush build those pieces that are "behind schedule".

That's the secret, because once U launch... ther's nothing U can do to improve the chances of winning or improving your Civ score via the space race, U can always end the intervening flight years rebuilding cities & units.

------------------
"Hm-m-m, doubt me you will?"