Old October 30, 2001, 04:09   #1
ColdFever
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Plea from German fanbase - English TXT files for translation
Greetings from Germany,
as you probably know, the German fans still have to wait until Nov 16 for the release over here, and then the game will only be sold in English (game/manual) language, the "real" German versions will not be out before 3/2002).

But we already formed a fan based translation team here to translate Civ3 into German language (yes, a huge project, from the experience with SMAC we calculate with about 150 working hours).

Currently we are longing for the Civ3-TXT-files to begin with the translation as soon as possible. We asked Firaxis and Infogrames officially for help, but they refused to help us (Firaxis) or didn't answer at all yet (Infogrames).

So please, you lucky US owners: even though it is not perfectly legal (I know) we ask any helpful soul out there to send us the English TXT-files (*.txt) that probably are installed in the game directory, so that we can go to translation work ASAP.

Only the TXT-Files are needed (no exe, no pcs etc.). We disapprove piracy and of course we will buy our own copy here as soon as it is available - we are true Sid worshippers/followers/addicts (even though we are a bit dissapointed from the lack of official support).

Update: a nice US guy is going to help us with the files, so hopefully we can goto work now

Thank you

Last edited by ColdFever; October 30, 2001 at 17:09.
Old October 30, 2001, 04:30   #2
Faboba
King

Local Time: 15:31
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Firaxis honestly said no???

I'm very suprised it wasn't translated for the deutsche fan base anyway. As soon as I have the files you can get as many as you want, but I'll be getting the game on the 16th lamentabley so before then I can't do jack. Sorry.
Old October 30, 2001, 04:40   #3
ColdFever
Chieftain

The Firaxis producers let us know that they are "not able" to help us.

Maybe we can interprete that in a way, that only the publisher (Infogrames) has a right to distribute files and not the developer anymore.

However, I wonder how that fits to the statements in
http://www.civ3.com/devupdate.cfm

"Firaxis is very interested in Civilization III having an active mod community.. Together we can make Civilization III a potent platform for not only exploring factual history, but also your creativity and interests. "
Old October 30, 2001, 12:38   #4
ColdFever
Chieftain

Re: Plea from German fanbase - English TXT files for translation
It probably wasn't a good idea to post this thread in the deepest american night hours, so I allow myself a daylight bump.

Fellow Americans - please help your German friends.

Update: a nice US guy is going to help us with the files, so hopefully we can goto work now

Thank you

Last edited by ColdFever; October 30, 2001 at 17:11.