Old October 30, 2001, 16:01   #1
Doctor Bob
Settler

Local Time: 15:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone played Diety yet?
Just wondering if any of you merkins out there who have civ 3 played deity yet? How does the AI kick your arse? Do they send over waves and waves of armour and heavy bombers to pummel your spearmen equipped with shiittty sticks and harsh language? Do you get massive battles and Barbarossa style warfare with mass casualties?
Old October 30, 2001, 18:16   #2
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:33
Good question, if somewhat provocative.

I wonder where the people are who said they would break Deity within 24 hours?

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Last edited by Comrade Tribune; October 30, 2001 at 20:22.
Old October 30, 2001, 18:31   #3
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 10:33
I don't have the game yet so my clock is in a holding pattern.

Old October 30, 2001, 18:45   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
I wonder where the people are who said they would break Diety within 24 hours?
Wrong side of the Atlantic, can't get the game yet
Old October 30, 2001, 19:09   #5
David Floyd
Emperor

LOL if people claim that they can break Deity in 24 hours they have their head so far up their own arse it's popping out their stomach. I'm playing on PRINCE (Regent) and I have my hands full, and I'm not exactly a bad player...
Old October 30, 2001, 20:21   #6
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Did really no one play on Deity yet?

Come on, the first who kills himself on Deity for the sake of AI evaluation will get a favourable mention by your Comrade.

Old October 30, 2001, 20:26   #7
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 09:33
i think to even have a chance on deity, we will have to wade through the 250 page manual if we are going to just jump right into it. who is going to do that? hehe

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old October 30, 2001, 20:30   #8
David Floyd
Emperor

I've already read the important parts of it, and playing the game hands-on gives a much better tutorial anyway IMO...
Old October 30, 2001, 20:48   #9
Knight
Settler

My first game was at Diety and it didn't last too terribly long. I managed to establish a four cities before getting wiped out by a Barbarian invasion. I had about 5 Barbarian riders appear next to each one of my cities, and they went to town until I was totally wiped out. I guess difficulty determines barbarian activity as well as the barbarian setting at the start. Time to give it another go...
Old October 30, 2001, 21:03   #10
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Are you sure that the barbarian riders weren't you own citizens rebelling? Same thing happens in CTP2. Maybe that stuff happens on Deity.
Old October 30, 2001, 21:08   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:33
Well, it's nice to know that the game isn't a "push over" on the Diety level!
Old October 30, 2001, 21:13   #12
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight
I had about 5 Barbarian riders appear next to each one of my cities, and they went to town until I was totally wiped out.
You mean they sytematically razed all your towns?

Well, at least we have one player brave enough to challenge Deity. Be sure to tell us of your next game!

Old October 30, 2001, 21:33   #13
Akillias
Chieftain

The Best Way To Break Diety is to use Kill Civ Option in the Cheat Menu
Old October 30, 2001, 21:38   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Hopefully there isn't a "cheat menu" in the game...but if I know programmers...
Old October 30, 2001, 21:49   #15
Knight
Settler

I'm a born victim! Second try at Diety goes as follows....

Trying as the Germans again, I found manage to found four cities, but I get behind pretty fast due to bad terrain placement. Fortunately, Berlin and Liepzig are well placed and they get pretty big fast. I manage to pump out enough shields on the Colossus to complete the Great Library pretty quickly when I develop Literature and switch over. With the G.L. built, I manage to snag a LOT of technologies and catch up very quickly in the science race. Catherine of the Russians then gets very angry with me and demands I hand over Hamburg. I refuse, and she declares war, sending a hefty army at my hapless city. Fortunately, my Elite Spearsmen make a dramatic stand and Catherine's attack is halted. So, rather than pound her head against a wall, she establishes an anti-German alliance with the French, English and Iroquois all within two turns. I get attacked from four directions, Berlin is put under siege and I am knocked out before 600 BC.

Time to tone it down for the next try.
Old October 30, 2001, 21:57   #16
Knight
Settler

One other thing...

Diplomacy, even at Diety, seems to be very even and balanced. The other civs seemed very willing to trade, and I didn't have to give away obscenely painful consessions to get something I wanted. Heck, I got Iron Working off the Iroquois for 90 gold and a map, allowing me to gear up for a run on the Great Library. Negotiating at war was similarly interesting. Catherine wasn't willing to let me off the hook once her alliance had me on the ropes. Even after taking Hamburg, she would only agree to a cease fire if I were to give up Liepzig as part of the deal. I disagreed, and she ended up taking it anyway. At least it didn't go without a fight.
Old October 30, 2001, 22:06   #17
Doctor Bob
Settler

The Operation Barbarossa style mass invasions sound cool! I reckon building tons of defensive units is going to be essential to just "survive" on deity level.

Just another 16 days to wait and I'll be getting my butt happily kicked on deity too....

Are there any other players/civ2 veterans tackling deity too?
Old October 30, 2001, 22:06   #18
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

All I can say is ... WOW!!!

Diety will be a challenge after all!!
Old October 31, 2001, 06:22   #19
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:33
some people reported being slaughtered in pretty much the same fashion on regent level too
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 31, 2001, 07:41   #20
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Bob
The Operation Barbarossa style mass invasions sound cool! I reckon building tons of defensive units is going to be essential to just "survive" on deity level.

Just another 16 days to wait and I'll be getting my butt happily kicked on deity too....

Are there any other players/civ2 veterans tackling deity too?
Yessss another 16 days *can't wait*

I want to have my ass kicked.

This sounds soooo great
Old October 31, 2001, 08:02   #21
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I went straight to deity level on civ 2. If I can't do that with civ 3 that would be great.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 31, 2001, 08:59   #22
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Yesterday I played on Diety and Emporer level as the Greeks. Ouch. Let me tell you something, the Babylonians reproduce like rabits. Oh, and don't do max number of civs on a map untill you got things figured out. Oh, and by the way, for you warmongers, nukes no longer destroy all military units in each city. Instead they have a 50% chance of destroying each individual unit.

Yeah, its hard, but once I get my science going I'll be buggying with the big boys.
Old October 31, 2001, 09:15   #23
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 10:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight
I'm a born victim! Second try at Diety goes as follows....

Trying as the Germans again, I found manage to found four cities, but I get behind pretty fast due to bad terrain placement. Fortunately, Berlin and Liepzig are well placed and they get pretty big fast. I manage to pump out enough shields on the Colossus to complete the Great Library pretty quickly when I develop Literature and switch over. With the G.L. built, I manage to snag a LOT of technologies and catch up very quickly in the science race. Catherine of the Russians then gets very angry with me and demands I hand over Hamburg. I refuse, and she declares war, sending a hefty army at my hapless city. Fortunately, my Elite Spearsmen make a dramatic stand and Catherine's attack is halted. So, rather than pound her head against a wall, she establishes an anti-German alliance with the French, English and Iroquois all within two turns. I get attacked from four directions, Berlin is put under siege and I am knocked out before 600 BC.

Time to tone it down for the next try.
That's strange that you say that you got slammed by the Russians, because that happened to me too. I was playing the Germans as well (love that Military and Science combo), and she threatens me all of the time. It must be a cultural thing.