Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Don't Buy Civ3!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Why shouldn't you buy Civ3? Well because you probably won't be able to play it with all the bugs running around with the game. I have been trying to play the game for three hours now and I still can't play because of the video problem. I would have to say this is the worst gaming experience I have ever had. I don't see how a gaming company could put out a piece of trash like Civ3 for sell. Whatever you do don't buy Civ3, at least not for a while (until patch comes out)!!!
Well I won't say I told you so.

Bad luck eh!

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 31, 2001, 00:09   #32
Bane
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey AH do you live under a bridge waiting to take a billie goat's gruff...
Old October 31, 2001, 00:38   #33
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:34
Horse, I WILL say it!
I TOLD YOU SO!

I warned everyone about firaxis months ago. I told anyone who wanted to listen that this company was inept and deaf. Every single game I have ever purchased from firaxis DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY. Not one. Not two. Every single one! And don't start whining about inadequate equipment--I own a late model hot rod of a comp and have all the latest bells and whistles.

I feel pretty good. I predicted this disaster.

I was right.

Exile
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:42   #34
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 00:34
I can't believe we have to wait another two weeks. Bloody hell.

Hey, sounds like a win2000 problem, not a firaxis one.
Old October 31, 2001, 01:02   #35
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 11:34
Ya got the latest drivers and everything? The video card is really weak, however. I'm having no problems over here, except the tech tree with LE is gimp and there aren't any scenarios with the game. Just Earth maps.
Old October 31, 2001, 01:08   #36
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
I'm surprised a pessimist hasn't posted in this thread saying something to this effect "I told you so".

Old October 31, 2001, 01:14   #37
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote of the week
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

This game was quite possibly made over lunch breaks.

Old October 31, 2001, 02:07   #38
TechWins
King

Local Time: 08:34
Imran, I'm sorry for being rude, but I was pretty damned pissed at the time. Now I'm a little more level headed, again sorry. For the rest of you that got offended by my comments I guess I'm sorry too. The reason why I guess is because I don't see how my opinion would offend you. Anyways it did, so I'm sorry.

About my PC, yes it is a year old. Don't ask me why a crappy comp like mine would be sold, but it was. My PC isn't all that bad in all reality (at least for the price). Believe me I want a new PC very badly, but I have money problems (not being able to get a job; it's that age descrimination thing). Also, compared to the PC I ran Civ3 on tonight my PC looks muy fantastico.

I went over to my brothers tonight to see if Civ3 would work on his computers. First we tried it on his best computer and lone behold it worked. Then we tried it on one of his poor computers. The specs on that computer are something like this:
PII 233
128 mb RAM
4 mb video card
Win2000
Old Monitor

Civ3 worked on this computer as amazing as it may sound. Since Firaxis is already aware of the problem people are having (""Right after the game plays the intro movie, my screen either goes black or displays the message "Out Of Scan Range", but I can still hear the game running."). That problem would be this:
I have everything fully installed for Civ3 and I start the game up. The game goes throught the intro movie, then when it ends it is supposed to go to the main menu. Instead the screen goes blank, but I am still able to hear sound. None of the escape possibilities are working either, so I have to shut down my PC. That is the problem that is occurring for me.

I was only able to play Civ3 for a minutes; I was mainly just looking at different options within the game. This semi-review will not be biased one bit and will only be honest.

Civ3 will be a great game...in one or two patches from now. Right now it is still a pretty good game but it diffently seems as if it had been rushed. Which in all fairness is fine, as long as the game is fully playably by all. The graphics do add a great feel to the game. I really don't mind the way the irrigation looks in the game, either (I hated it in the screenshots). Even though, the animations look cool I will be turning them off after a few games. The graphics aren't perfect, though, for I found a few glitches in that area. My city was Rome and it expanded it's culture for the second time and you couldn't see the red border on one side of the city. The reason for this is because it was being hidden under some jungle terrain. Also, in the city screen for Rome, the borders made a weird turn on my upper right hand corner of the city borders. The scrolling across the map is very poor indeed. The 'go to' command with your mouse seems a bit weird as well, not weird in a good way either. The flow of the game is much better than before, which is a huge plus. Reiterating on my statement of the game seeming to be rushed, only having two zoom levels seems a bit cheap. Right off the top of my head that is all I can think.

My words of advice for everybody:
If you are one who is willing to pay $50 or $60 (US) just so you can enjoy the great additions Civ3 offers, regardless even if the game seems like it was 'rushed', then do that. If you are one who is willing to pay $50 or $60 (US) so you can enjoy the great additions of Civ3, without the 'rushed' feeling, then you better wait a few more patches from now. This game seems to be pretty fun as it is right now, but I would have rather waited a few months (at this time the ultimate 'Civ experience') to play Civ3 for the first time. Instead of playing Civ3 right now as just a good game, then in a few months playing the the ultimate 'Civ3 experience' for the first time but not as my first Civ3 playing. That is the best way I can describe it right now because I am tired and too lazy to explain it any better.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 31, 2001, 02:18   #39
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Hmmm, thanks for the insight TechWins...food for thought.
Old October 31, 2001, 02:41   #40
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:34
TechWins, do you mind if I mirror your posts on some geek humor sites?

They really are a riot.

What's with your fetish with 4MB video cards, anyway?
Old October 31, 2001, 02:46   #41
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:34
Apology accepted .

And yes, there will be bugs. Unfortunetly too many games have them.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 31, 2001, 02:49   #42
FexFX
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:34
TechWins,
Also, I am not sure what DirectX mode this game uses, but there is a way to override the default refresth rate in DirectX8. Go to Start>>Run>>DXDIAG
Then on the "More Help Tab" Click the Override button and try setting your refresh rate to 60hz.
I keep saying 60hz because that is traditionally the LOWEST value accepted by most video card drivers, tho much older cards and monitor used to run at 56hz. If 60hz works tho, dont be afraid to try 65 then 70 then 72 then 75 until it stops working again, then go back a step.
If you had Windows98 , I would know a registry hack that would fix your problem. In 98, I would set your default refresh rate for all undefined modes to 60hz.
If the DXDIAG trick does not help, then likely what you are dealing with is that your current monitor definition, while close to what you have, is not correct for one reason or another, so when CIV actually goes into 1024x768 mode, your default refresh rate for that mode is too much for your monitor to handle and it goes blank to avoid burning out.
Try changing your monitor definition from whatever it is now to the NEC 3FGe which is a low end 15" monitor type which can handle 1024x768, but only at 60hz, so your system would then default to only 60HZ at that resolution no matter what. Now this may or may not work because Win2K and refresh rates tend fight with eachother, but this is better than trying nothing.
This will not damage your monitor in any way, the only thing it may do is lower your available options for refresh rates and resolutions below what you are now being offered for as long as you leave the monitor defined this way....
To Be Continued...
Old October 31, 2001, 02:49   #43
FexFX
Chieftain

Continued...
I understand your frustration, but this is really not a Firaxis specific problem, this is a system specific problem. Please believe me when I say there are almost literally an infinite number of system configurations out there and it is LITERALLY impossible for any software package to run on all of them.
Your symptome sound curable, but from the user end, not from the programmer end.
There is unfortunately no way for a program to dictate what refresh rate a specific mode runs at.
You may have done 1024x768 in the past, but at what color depth? Wiondows stores the refresh rate values for each color depth and each resolution separately, so while you may have tried 1024x768@32bpp, have you also tried 16bpp 8bpp and 4bpp? Each would have its own refresh rate values.
Sorry for the wordy post, and I hope this helps.
Old October 31, 2001, 02:58   #44
FexFX
Chieftain

One more post for luck then its off to bed for me:

For those of you with Windows98, I will include the registry hack for setting the default refresh rate:
Remember, always back up your registry before you hack it or with one slip of the keyboard you will find yourself needing to F&R!

Start>>Run>>Regedit
HKey_Local_Machine
System
CurrentControlSet
Services
Class
Display

In Display you may have more than one folder beginning with the number 0, such as 0000 and 0001...you will want to highlight each to determine which is the video card you are actually using, since windows 98 does not clean its own registry, and you may find several out dated listings.

once you have identified the correct folder, open it.
then highlight the Default folder under it.

Then on the Right-Hand side, you will find RefreshRate near the bottom.

The default value for RefreshRate is "-1" which mean optimal which basically means try the highest number possible for your video card/monitor combo...this will cause big problems if your monitor is not 110% correctly defined...so change that number to something you KNOW FOR A FACT your monitor can handle like 60hz...you can bump it up from there if that works...

Old October 31, 2001, 03:18   #45
TechWins
King

FexFX I'm going to try your problem tomorrow, because I have to go to bed (I'll be waking up in 5 hours). Thank you for your help, FexFX, it is greatly appreciated whether it works or not.

Wittlich, you're welcome for the food.

Imran, you are correct on this one.

Asher, I thought I didn't have much of a need for a hi-grade video card. I was going to buy an awesome one early this past summer, but I figured I wouldn't need it much. Oh was I wrong!

And that's all folks.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 31, 2001, 12:11   #46
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:34
TechWins: Nice post. I look forward for the release of a patch or two so you can enjoy Civ3 like many of us here are doing.
Old October 31, 2001, 12:43   #47
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
I was able to get it at Best Buy today, surprisingly enough. I think I had been lied to on the phone previously and is the reason for me not receiving the game earlier. I guess who really cares because the game sucks for me. Oh wait here is the problem - "It seems to be happening mostly on systems with older or improperly installed monitors." I mean it couldn't possibly be the coding as somebody else stated in a different thread.

To answer your question Wittlich:
Windows 2000 (updated with the newest service pack)
Celeron 500
384 MB RAM
4 MB Rage Pro Video Card
Monitor capable of 1024x784
Can't think of any other relevant info

My computer may not be the greatest but it is not that bad. Plus it is only one year old. My 'old' or 'improperly' installed monitor has always seemed to work fine on other games, with much higher requirements. But I will always trust old faithful (Firaxis) and believe the problem is my PC and not their lazy ass coding.
If you're getting the "out of scan range" or some error like that where the intro video may play but then the screen goes black but the game is still apparently playing, do this.

Update the drivers for your video card.

Reason I say this is I had a 16 MB Vodoo 3000 card and had this exact same problem trying to load and play Icewind Dale, and this after I had loaded and played the game fine prior to rebuilding my machine.

I found and installed the most modern drivers for my card and viola, the problem was resolved.

See if this works for you. Oh, and do NOT think that the W2K video drivers are the most recent or the best for your card because they may not be. Video card manufacturers routinely update their card drivers as new OS's come out, etc.
Old October 31, 2001, 12:51   #48
FexFX
Chieftain

A small addendum to Ozymandous' post:
Your Video Card manufacturer is NOT always the best place to get the newest drivers. Very often you will find newer drivers from the chipset manufacturer. Example: Viper V770u from Diamond Multimedia...The best drivers fo rthis card are not from Diamond, but from nVidia, the makers of the TNT2u chipset on that card.
Old October 31, 2001, 13:30   #49
gremalkin
Chieftain

I've had similar issues with games before.. Definitely a video card problem.

Update the drivers...
Old October 31, 2001, 13:39   #50
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Re: Horse, I WILL say it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
I TOLD YOU SO!

I warned everyone about firaxis months ago. I told anyone who wanted to listen that this company was inept and deaf. Every single game I have ever purchased from firaxis DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY. Not one. Not two. Every single one!
This is a lie. It works fine on my PC, totally. I have a Celeron 400 Mhz with 128 MB Ram and and a 16 MB Banshee video card. It's 2 year + old system. Works fine.

I do not regret buying Civ3, as IT HAS BEEN THE MOST FUN GAME I'VE BOUGHT IN AGES. So your "told-you-sos" are meaningless to me.

Out of all the people posting, it looks to me like the vast majority are running the game fine, and only a minority are having issues. This will be true of ANY game since all systems are different and have their quirks. Welcome to the modern era. Wait for the patch or return the game, but don't rain on my parade...I'm having a blast! Woohoo!!!
Old October 31, 2001, 14:35   #51
Max Webster
Prince

No problems here, it runs great.
Old November 3, 2001, 18:40   #52
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

How is a 500 MHZ Celeron not a good computer- Civ III has TOO HIGH SYSTEM REQS.

Firaxis were fiends for requiring much higher than a 300 mhz computer. "Oh! we'll add good graphics."

Who cares about graphics. ToT and CTP's graphics were horrible... but they were "closer to 3D" than Civ II's.

... I enjoyed Civ II's look- the other games were horrible.

Get off TechWins case.
Old November 4, 2001, 14:33   #53
Slunko
Settler

I might know how to fix this
Ok, I think I've had the same problem as you It was a little tricky to figure out how to solve it.
The problem is what many already pointed out: civ3 tries to set an invalid video resolution and/or sync. rate.
I'm also using Windows2000 SP2 with directx8 so this should apply to your problem.
I first switched the video depth to 1024x768 and 16 bpp (Civ3 requires 16bpp, no less and no more)
Then after starting Civ3 for the first time (which crashed for you) you'll get a file named "Civilization3.Ini" in the same directory as Civ3 is installed in. Edit this file in notepad and add the line "KeepRes=1", position in file shouldn't matter as long as it is below the "[Civilization III]" line.

Then Civ3 should work.

Ofcourse your recommendation not to buy Civ3 holds valid even when you've got it working. This is really a rushed piece of buggy crap and you should invest $15 of your $50 in Civnet, Civ2 or any other game but Civ3.

Last edited by Slunko; November 4, 2001 at 14:45.
Old November 4, 2001, 15:02   #54
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I don't know what everybody is talking about... it runs fine on my computer... and the more I play it, the more interesting it gets
Old November 4, 2001, 15:05   #55
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Do the OT mods have a plan about when one is playing Civ3, the other 2 are watching the OT or anything? I mean, it would be pretty easy for spammers to ruin the OT nowadays that you guys play Civ3 instead of watching the OT
Old November 4, 2001, 15:19   #56
Ralf
King

Local Time: 16:34
Quote:
Why shouldn't you buy Civ3? Well because you probably won't be able to play it with all the bugs running around with the game. I have been trying to play the game for three hours now and I still can't play because of the video problem.
There are many people here who have played the game for hours and hours without a single glitch. Your video-problems isnt fun at all, but these kind of problems is more or less impossible to avoid all together. There are simply too many hardware/software combinations and configurations out there.

Anyway; just report your problems and it will be fixed. Besides; you not the only one - I couldnt even start the Europa Univeralis game, the very first time I booted it.
Old November 4, 2001, 15:21   #57
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Do the OT mods have a plan about when one is playing Civ3, the other 2 are watching the OT or anything? I mean, it would be pretty easy for spammers to ruin the OT nowadays that you guys play Civ3 instead of watching the OT
Huh... I'm playing Civ III right now... watching football... and performing my moderator duties... your point
Old November 4, 2001, 15:33   #58
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
How hard is it to do that? You just randomly ban someone, let a few spammers start a thread about the banning then give the Spammers PCR !!! Easy !!! Then straight back to civ 3 !!!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 4, 2001, 15:49   #59
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 17:34
I installed it on my old IBM aptiva with 350MHZ cpu, 128 RAM and 4mb video and it runs fine. I got some problems when trying to run huge maps, though, so I'm still looking into getting a new computer.
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken