Old October 30, 2001, 22:18   #1
Craftsman
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hey happy-people-with-civ3!! What about the Sound Effects & Music?
Could you people playing Civ3 please tell us a little about the sounds and music of the game? I know this is somewhat difficult via text, but try to describe the feeling... Plus, as stated somewhere, does the soundtrack really changes its pace during the game?

Thanks a lot!
Old October 30, 2001, 22:48   #2
Milon
Settler

Local Time: 07:35
I'm not a huge music buff, but it sounds great so far. The birds do chirp, but I only really noticed it because of the ign review.

Later
Old October 30, 2001, 22:55   #3
Dante Alighieri
Settler

Local Time: 10:35
Re: Hey happy-people-with-civ3!! What about the Sound Effects & Music?
Quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman
Could you people playing Civ3 please tell us a little about the sounds and music of the game? I know this is somewhat difficult via text, but try to describe the feeling... Plus, as stated somewhere, does the soundtrack really changes its pace during the game?

Thanks a lot!
I've only played though the Ancient era but so far it sounds great. I've been playing for about 4 hours now and Im not annoyed by it at all. The birds aren't bad but I could have done without them. They also did a great job aligning the sound effects to the movement on screen.

The music does change pace with movement. The Egyptians were ahead of me technologically but very behind with production. I gathered up 6 Archers and started to approach the city of Thebes. The music quickened up and sounded war like. I thought, "Wow, that's neat..... but was it a coincidence?" I wasn't able to take Thebes down so I built up another squadron of 10 Archers. Sure enough, as soon as I approached Thebes the music went into war mode again. I kicked Thebes butt and the music changes over to glorious praise!
Old October 30, 2001, 22:59   #4
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 08:35
Sounds kind of like what they pulled off between SMAC and SMAX. SMAX has more music, and it changes more appropriately (though the whole thing just sounds more excited than the music in SMAC). It's only logical they would've carried this music method further. (The first place I encountered this really cool game music method was Ultima 8.)
Take me as I am.
Old October 30, 2001, 23:18   #5
Craftsman
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:35
Re: Re: Hey happy-people-with-civ3!! What about the Sound Effects & Music?
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Alighieri

I've only played though the Ancient era but so far it sounds great. I've been playing for about 4 hours now and Im not annoyed by it at all. The birds aren't bad but I could have done without them. They also did a great job aligning the sound effects to the movement on screen.

The music does change pace with movement. The Egyptians were ahead of me technologically but very behind with production. I gathered up 6 Archers and started to approach the city of Thebes. The music quickened up and sounded war like. I thought, "Wow, that's neat..... but was it a coincidence?" I wasn't able to take Thebes down so I built up another squadron of 10 Archers. Sure enough, as soon as I approached Thebes the music went into war mode again. I kicked Thebes butt and the music changes over to glorious praise!
WOW!!! So, it´s true!! The pace changes! That´s great indeed!!!
Also, I´m happy to hear that you weren´t annoyed by the background music.
These are great news! Thanks, Dante Alighieri!