Old October 31, 2001, 04:58   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Lookout for Elizabeth and her Zulu warriors!
Elizabeth is a toughy. Well, at least in this last game I played. She was way ahead of me, and really just dropped a bomb on me with her sneak attack.

And to top it off, she makes a military aggresion pact with the Zulus!

Now, these Zulus just love to run into your territory and destroy everything they come accros, especially improvments.

I am dead
Old November 1, 2001, 03:01   #2
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 15:37
I hate Elizabeth.

Ghandi is also a bastard.
Old February 5, 2002, 19:28   #3
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 09:37
Elibeth urggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 5, 2002, 20:20   #4
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
For a moment I envisaged Elizabeth with an Impi Regiment, like the Askaris, or the Croats who fought for France, or Balearic slingshot men that Romans had.

It would make an interesting development for Civ- being able to raise regiments of 'Irregulars' from other nations that you were pacted with, or were not at war with....

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 5, 2002, 21:41   #5
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom
For a moment I envisaged Elizabeth with an Impi Regiment, like the Askaris, or the Croats who fought for France, or Balearic slingshot men that Romans had.

It would make an interesting development for Civ- being able to raise regiments of 'Irregulars' from other nations that you were pacted with, or were not at war with....
Yeah, that was (kinda) possible in some Civ2 scenarios IIRC. It was pretty cool
Old February 8, 2002, 08:01   #6
Worthingtons
Prince

Hey, Stop having a go at Our Mighty Ex - Queen!

Nowt wrong with Lizzy
Old February 8, 2002, 09:35   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

If I play the Germans with culturally linked start positions (50% of my games) ...

- Liz is programmed to be a backstabbing and untrustworthy wench and therefor must go in the Ancient era.

- Cathy is a bit more reliable, but also a b*tch, and therefor must go in the Medieval age.

- Joan looks lovely in the first 3 ages and I use to keep her as my ally till end of industrial age. As soon as I get Panzers, she must go as well, because I can't stand her skinhead look in the modern era.

So far about European leaders!
Old February 20, 2002, 05:47   #8
SieGermans
Chieftain

yeah, but the pushiest dickhead of them all is Chairman Mao, who I graciously snuffed out of existence in the 1890s in my recreation of the boxer rebellion (America(me), France, England, Germany, Rome (Italy), and Japan all tore out a little chunk of china we call our own. "god damnit mao, you demand coal from us without paying for it and now you've opened a can of 1st world whoop-a$$" . I was all good until he called me a paper tiger, that just spelled his end.
Old February 21, 2002, 21:58   #9
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
ah yes. the old "you send 50 horsemen to destroy the city the zulus game me in exchange for continued peace which just happens to be size 2 and halfway across the world from my main continent" resulting in "i declare war on you and get everyone (litteraly-16 civs minus aztecs chinese yanks and indians who i had already destroyed) into a military alliance against you in which you are ruthlessly beaten to the ground in a matter of 7 turns." i know it all to well Mr. Germans. he he. stupid joan of arc.
Old February 22, 2002, 06:39   #10
SieGermans
Chieftain

yeah, joan needs to lighten up. I try to plant one little spy and she goes to war with me. now I ask you, is it really worth being wiped out of existence for one little spy?
Old February 25, 2002, 05:30   #11
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
hasn't it occurred to you that Joan isn't the only hot leader...

... she's the only non-ugly one.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old February 25, 2002, 10:54   #12
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SieGermans
yeah, but the pushiest dickhead of them all is Chairman Mao, ...
I never wipe out the chinese, only because I get the most laughs from what Mao says.

OT - I don't understand the fascination players have with Joan d'Arc. This is a 3-D image of a plain jane! If you think she's hot, you need to go look at some real women - in the flesh, not on nakedworldleaders.com...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old February 25, 2002, 11:49   #13
SieGermans
Chieftain

Joan hot? please proceed to your local social area and get a girlfriend! every female leader in the game looks like they've taken a fall from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. For "hot" leaders, Princess Grace of Monaco would be the only one I can think of off the top of my head. She was hot in the 60s...
Old February 28, 2002, 11:45   #14
godinex
Prince

I love Joan in the middle age... only.
Old March 9, 2002, 19:16   #15
Giovanni August
Warlord

Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Joan is horrible!

The only leader that looks almost preatty is Cleopatra!

Have you aver seen Joan in modern times?

Saluti
Old March 9, 2002, 22:28   #16
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Giovanni, in our succession game we just entered the Modern age and... we ARE Joan! So prepare to shave your head

Somebody said, Cleo looks like Lil Bo Peep. Obviously true.
Old March 10, 2002, 01:45   #17
Solomyr
Warlord

Local Time: 07:37
i think the sentiments of joans hottness are a relative measure. when it is 1:30 in the morning, and you have been playing for the last five hours, joan looks really good. besides, i bet most of the feelings you guys have stem from the desire for a good spanking ...and not in civ3
Old March 11, 2002, 00:51   #18
Giovanni August
Warlord

Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Giovanni, in our succession game we just entered the Modern age and... we ARE Joan! So prepare to shave your head
LOL

Saluti
Old April 19, 2002, 06:18   #19
Jethro83
Prince

I have achieved Civ3 Enlightenment (not really)....

I have come to the conclusion that EVERYBODY IS AN A-HOLE!!!

Yes, the fact that they are there, that they settle lands that you wanted yourself is enough to make me forget my early expansion approach and field a horde of archers/horsemen (lets see the one killer spearman at their capital hold off 10 horseman or archer regiments, hehehe).

But then, if you let them live, they dare to demand things without offering anything to make a fair exchange.

When they get extra technologies, either through trading with you, or doing their own research, they'll then share it with each other. No fair trades. Shaka's technology is Lizzy's technology. You suddenly fall behind when they refuse to sell it all to you.

They send their settlers through your territory to build a doomed-to-remain-size-2 town in that useless patch of tundra just outside your opposite borders. And when they culture-flip, you don't want it because it will be completely overlapped by the two cities it sits between.

Whenever I try and offer a luxury resource trade, they'll be insulted when it is a resource for resource exchange... even though I have 5 wines, they have 5 ivory and I offer one of my wines for one of their ivories, they are INSULTED BY THIS DEAL. They won't accept until you give them your first-born son with the trade.

And to add bitter icing to this sour cake, they sneak attack you at every opportunity. As soon as they have more units than you, they'll find an opportunity to take you by surprise. France and India being adept at sneaking, with India losing most of their empire in the first 5-10 turns after making the fatal mistake. France may sustain a stronger effort, but they still fall eventually.

So there you have it. A lengthy explanation as to why the computer are a bunch of a$$holes who need a good, thorough beating back to the stone age.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 19, 2002, 13:33   #20
MaxisDugan85
Settler

Civs I hate
...in desending order.
5 > Russians (Sneaky wench!)
4 > Germans (Otto is always , I mean always , angry.)
3 > India (Gandi the Barbarian!)
and
2 > Mao Tse Buttnugget!!
1 > Queen B@#$H Lizzie!!!

Yeah , they will all screw you eventually. These are the one who are consistantly a pain in my @#$.

Quote:
Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?!?
Old April 27, 2002, 23:49   #21
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni August
Joan is horrible!

The only leader that looks almost preatty is Cleopatra!

Have you aver seen Joan in modern times?

Saluti
Even Cleo doesn't look all that nice. That arrogant expression on her face makes me want to throw that punch that knocked her teeth out in the Conquered pic PERSONALLY!!!

Considering how ugly these computer-animated leaderheads are, Joan would look her best in Industrial age.

Still, can never beat a REAL woman. If Firaxis intended on sexing up the game with Joan of Arc, they've failed. There's no point to sexing it up anyway. If I want to look at hot women, I'd go and read my Ralph magazines (Ralph is a men's lifestyle mag in Australia and New Zealand that shows some of the hottest women you'd ever be likely to see. And their breasts are REAL!!!).

I play Civ 3 to conquer whatever dismal little world the computer generates for me. Not to check out any scenery of that type.
Old April 28, 2002, 01:03   #22
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:37
Wouldn't it be nice if the "scenery of that type" were real in the game though
Old May 23, 2002, 13:06   #23
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
hasn't it occurred to you that Joan isn't the only hot leader...

... she's the only non-ugly one.
Give us Lady Deirdre back !
Old May 27, 2002, 10:39   #24
boxcarjoe
Settler

Local Time: 10:37
bah, i stay isolated until i get nukes then every city i have starts building icbms and modern armor, i take half the map in about 20 turns. I hate them all, paris gets 3 nukes usually with bejing and london two.
Old June 23, 2002, 17:46   #25
spy14
Prince

Alexander gets me, he's programmed to be the most arrogant piece of AI I have ever come across... he always meets a sticky end for his trouble.

On the Joan issue... lol, whatever rocks your boat...
Old July 8, 2002, 11:32   #26
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

As to Elizabeth, she is a consistently backstabbing shrew(wow, I actually made that statement without any !#@!#!$! words! Those civility courses must be working...).

As to Joan being a hottie, while I much prefer the company of my wife to the digital dots of my computer screen, it would be nice to interact with leaders that don't look like they all came from the same prep school.

Seriously, the only thing that changes is that their heads move from one side to the other and their expression changes slightly from "must try to keep my eyes wide open and look attentive or the teacher will send me to the principal's office" to "I knew I shouldn't have eaten 15 pounds of bad cheese this morning. Now, I'm constipated AND have to go to the toliet....".

Why doesn't their chest or arms move? Why, doesn't Elizabeth raise her nose into the air and pretend looking at you is beneath her when she gets angry? Why can't Bismark left his arm and wave his fist at you?

These are things that must and WILL BE fixed!
Old July 9, 2002, 13:27   #27
khyron
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

I don't understand the fascination players have with Joan d'Arc. This is a 3-D image of a plain jane!
Have you had to deal much with that face of Catherine's at all?

Plain Jane? Maybe. But again, after having to look at Cathy and Lizzy, she's practically Sarah McLachlan. Until she mutates into Sinead O'Connor if she makes it to the endgame.

Quote:
If you think she's hot, you need to go look at some real women - in the flesh, not on nakedworldleaders.com...
I'll just get back to wifey now, thank you.
Old July 10, 2002, 05:39   #28
frostycreep
Chieftain

How does the AI play with England then? I get the impression that elizabeth always declares war,signs a peace treaty and then declares war again the next turn(judging by this thread). Im just curious because i always play with England, therefore have never actually played against England and im curious to know how effective the AI is, considering England probably has the worst traits and definately the worse UU.
Old July 10, 2002, 07:12   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by frostycreep
How does the AI play with England then? I get the impression that elizabeth always declares war,signs a peace treaty and then declares war again the next turn(judging by this thread). .
Yep, that pretty much describes her tactics in Civ 3, she's a lot more ruthless and warmongering that your comment though.
Old July 10, 2002, 18:54   #30
Jethro83
Prince

Even when Elizabeth had a much weaker military than I did (I was playing as China, and had pretty much mopped the floor with Hiawatha's and Abe's heads, taking their most important cities), she still had the audacity to sneak attack. However, it was one turn after Japan had sneak attacked me.

I still had outstanding gold per turn payments to England, as well as providing them with a steady supply of silks (they were slightly ahead in technology. I had to narrow the gap.

Elizabeth had every reason NOT to sneak attack me. I had a larger, more powerful military (riders rule the continent!!!), silks that I was trading to them, and two outstanding gold per turn payments to them. Furthermore, Greece and Babylon, overseas (and the only powers who could match me) were already at war with them.

I guess Japan's sneak attack lowered her into a false sense of security, thinking I wasn't yet ready to fight a two-pronged war. Though Japan were also outclassed by me, having fallen victim to a quick early archer rush.

Whenever I play as Germany (perhaps the only Europeans I like to use), I especially pick on Lizzy. Wipe her out when she's all harmless and wouldn't hurt a fly. Of course, she always ends up with much more technology early on (one of the perks of being Expansionist), and as such its more profitable to be picking on her.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson