Old October 31, 2001, 05:50   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who wants to be famous
IMHO, its a safe bet that:
1. Firaxis are planning to relase scenario disks for Civ 3 in about a years time (hopefully with an editor attached!)
2. Said disks will include at least some 'Best of the Net' scenarios/mods

Meaning that if you get your act together, Civ could make you a star (and, if Friaxis are generous [not likely], some $ as well)

edit: I shouldn't have posted this before reading that there appears to be no way to make even basic scenarios
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Last edited by Case; October 31, 2001 at 06:04.
Old October 31, 2001, 09:04   #2
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 15:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Basic scenarios that really require events to move things. Unless I missed another post somewhere else, it still should be possible to make some scenarios. Right?
Old October 31, 2001, 09:57   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 16:37
Jmarks, not only are there no events. It is also not possible to place units or cities on the map.
Old October 31, 2001, 10:01   #4
Cal
Prince

Local Time: 15:37
So... until this scenario disk is released...

the main medium for scenario building will STILL be Civ2 with the Fantastic World add on?
Old October 31, 2001, 10:13   #5
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I must give the guys at Firaxis my greatest congratulations. They appear to have learnt. The scenario building capabilities of Civ2 of course made the players less interested in official add-ons... or at least that's what they thought. This way they make us wait eagerly to spend our money on some stuff only to be allowed to be free (unfair overdramatization).
Old October 31, 2001, 12:07   #6
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
Firaxis: Money--Good! Quality--Bad!
I'm not playing or buying civ3 until I get my macro language.
Old October 31, 2001, 12:53   #7
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I think I will play it before to decide wether it is really worth all that fuss.
Old October 31, 2001, 14:06   #8
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
I have. It's not.
Old October 31, 2001, 14:06   #9
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
D.P.
Old November 1, 2001, 00:36   #10
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:37
What the hell? No editor? Well, I'm still getting the LE
Old November 1, 2001, 01:01   #11
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:37
Apparently the ability to play on a static (flat) map is gone too. No more WW2-Europe scens or anything else on a localised scale.
I'm still not writing it off as there appears to be at least some intent on Firaxis' part to produce editors/macro scripts but I'm not prepared to wait for 6 months plus for these...

One further thing that bothers me is that I was hoping for fixes for a lot of the events triggers (Triggerattacker for one) with scripts written for the code rather than added in as an afterthought (and hence likely more prone to unexpected glitches). It sounds like any scripting to be introduced in civ3 will again be as an afterthought.
Old November 1, 2001, 02:20   #12
Case
Emperor

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey, Ravagon its begining to look like the late Australian release of Civ 3 has been a lucky break - we get to wait and see how the whole scenario/mod issue progresses before we get the opportunity to spend our $90
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 1, 2001, 04:47   #13
ravagon
King

Right now I'll be pleased if the exchange rate holds it to $90.00.
At one stage I thought it might've gone over $100.00 Aus.
Old November 1, 2001, 05:23   #14
hardjoy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
One further thing that bothers me is that I was hoping for fixes for a lot of the events triggers (Triggerattacker for one) with scripts written for the code rather than added in as an afterthought (and hence likely more prone to unexpected glitches). It sounds like any scripting to be introduced in civ3 will again be as an afterthought.
Actually I was thinking along similar lines. Why not focus the new game on precisely some advanced integrated triggers/actions? That was a huge opportunity missed, that could've taken the game off in whole new directions. We've already seen what modmakers could do within the limitations of Civ2. Why lose the opportunity to drastically expand on these, and let the modmakers do the rest? That way, "civing" would really be headed towards something new.

And the answer, they didn't dare head off in new directions. They'd rather stick with old'n proven concepts, in order not to "disappoint" the fans. This is really what it comes down too.

But if Civ3 is really just Civ1 with culture, borders and improved graphics and sound, you might as well play Civ1 instead. Afterall it was hell of a game, and those primitive graphics actually got the job done.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the game, and playing around with the editors, and I think it looks quite cool so far. But my anticipations have somewhat dropped. Now I think I'll get an improved version of Civ1/2 (which is not so bad after all), while I perhaps expected way more integrated flexibility. It does sound like they've made a serious effort into making the game "deeper", and I'm sure the game mechanics can be tweaked drastically however. I just wonder why they developed the game without the "customization" in mind from the outset.
Old November 2, 2001, 00:45   #15
ravagon
King

This is probably the wrong place for this but Coug has posted an editor wish-list thread in the civ3 creation forum so if anybody can think of anything they need in civ3 scenarios (events included) post them!
Mightn't do any good but then it just might too.