Old October 31, 2001, 13:45   #1
volcanohead
Warlord

Local Time: 16:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Clearing forests for shields
I understand that the 'clear forest' action of the worker will generate 10 shields when the clearance is complete. Perhaps this could be an alternative method of generating resources... If you have lots of workers and systematically clear and then plant forest, again and again, can you generate lots of shields?

Also on a related subject, does putting two workers onto the same tile and performing identical actions double the speed of tile improvement, like Civ 2?

I wish I could answer these questions myself, but alas, no game as yet.

Thanks all.
Old October 31, 2001, 14:04   #2
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 10:39
Re: Clearing forests for shields
Quote:
Originally posted by volcanohead
I understand that the 'clear forest' action of the worker will generate 10 shields when the clearance is complete. Perhaps this could be an alternative method of generating resources... If you have lots of workers and systematically clear and then plant forest, again and again, can you generate lots of shields?

Also on a related subject, does putting two workers onto the same tile and performing identical actions double the speed of tile improvement, like Civ 2?

I wish I could answer these questions myself, but alas, no game as yet.

Thanks all.
For your first question, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, though I haven't tried it.

To the second question, the answer is yes. Multiple workers increase the speed at which actions are completed. If you are interested in expanding, I highly recommend acquiring (by force or by producing them) a corps of workers that you can use to quickly lay roads, dig irrigation, and clear jungle and forest.

Clearing jungle is the biggest nightmare: with just one worker it can take 24 turns to clear one tile (!) But say you have six foreign workers that you managed to.... forceably "enlist" in your army... then you're talking 4 turns.

I will frequently go to war over a couple of enemy workers who've strayed too far from the protection of their city and then try and get a peace treaty, doing whatever it takes to make amends afterwards. End result: I get some handy workers who are more than happy to quickly build roads and develop my infrastructure.

Dan
Old October 31, 2001, 14:10   #3
volcanohead
Warlord

Local Time: 16:39
Thanks for the response Dan. Just a quick follow up: is there an upgrade to the worker, which allows faster tile improvement later in the game?