Old October 31, 2001, 18:02   #1
BigBear
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If you own Civ3..........
Something on this forum that seems to be quite popular is really pissing me off. People who have owned the game, for probably little over 2 days now are already *****ing about how bad the game is. COME ON! Play for at least a couple of weeks before you decide to come to the forums and post your thoughts. I bet there are some of you who played it for 10 minutes before you decided to let everyone know what you think. And, I bet there are others, that don't even really own it. I didn't figure out the Caravan to Wonder aspect of Civ2 until like 1999, so there is no possible way that everyone knows every aspect of Civ3 yet.

Also, for those of you complaning about interface. Why not play the game for a while, and get used to it, that might help. Every new game has a new interface that must be learned, with the exception of maybe 3d shooters.

In conclusion, stop your *****ing, stop coming to the forums, and maybe try to learn all there is to know about the game!!
Old October 31, 2001, 18:12   #2
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 10:40
I have the game, and I love it! So not everyone is dissing it.

The interface is definitely different, and people naturally react negatively to change. But I don't think the interface is bad, just different. I've been playing since Monday night and I think I have the hang of the new interface now. In fact I think the interface is much better. The only thing you need to go into the city screens for is to move workers around different tiles. You can do everything else (change production, activate units) right from the main map. I think once I'm really fluent, I'll be able to play the game much faster in the new interface than the old.
Old October 31, 2001, 18:27   #3
LarryM
Settler

Actually, most of the complaints (or at least the most serious complaints) are from people who don't even have the game yet. Most people who have the game (and who have posted here) either love it, or like it with some reservations. I think I've only seen one person who has played the agme really trash it.

That being said, let's not go overboard in the other direction. It will take somw weeks before we know whether Civ III will have the same staying power on our hard drives that Civ I & II did. While I like the game a lot so far, there are some causes for concern. While the fact that they have made a warlord strategy harder is probably a good thing, they may have gone overboard; the combination of (1) rules favoring the defense, (2) high corruption and (especially) waste, and (3) resistance from conquered populations will make conquest really hard - perhaps too hard.

My guess is that waste will be toned down in a patch; aside from the absence of multiplay, that may be the biggest problem with the game so far.
Old October 31, 2001, 18:36   #4
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:40
The biggest problem with the game is the lack of preset historical starting locations.

I don't even care about multi-player, now that they've taken that away!
Albert Speer
Old October 31, 2001, 18:48   #5
BigBear
Chieftain

Seriously though, people like Yin are so quick to knock it. He was knocking it even before he had it.
Old October 31, 2001, 22:07   #6
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:40
AFAIK, he still doesn't have it... Or have I missed something?
-- Roland
Old October 31, 2001, 22:19   #7
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

When I first played civ1, I knew I liked it right away.
When I first played civ2, I knew I loved it right away.
When I first played civ3, I knew I hated it. Instead of expressing this and risk "pissing people off" , I decided to play for 3 weeks straight before coming to the same conclusion.

You people are such cute and furry lemmings
Old October 31, 2001, 22:29   #8
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:40
Yeah, if you spend 2 days playing the game and you know you hate it, it's bad

I played Civ 1 for 2 weeks STRAIGHT I'm talking uninterupted, getting 3 hours of sleep each night, and I LOVED it. Civ 2 - same deal. If people are *****ing and complaining about TONS of things (not just one aspect of the game) than you know it's looking grim.

I'll reserve opinion until I play, but from what I've seen so far, I am not impressed at all. Quite disappointing.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old November 1, 2001, 04:14   #9
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:40
Re: If you own Civ3..........
Quote:
Originally posted by BigBear
Play for at least a couple of weeks before you decide to come to the forums and post your thoughts. I bet there are some of you who played it for 10 minutes before you decided to let everyone know what you think.
I agree! I find it funny that some of these Naysayers feel justified in criticising the reviewers who have said the game is great because they feel the reviewer has only played it for a couple of hours and doesn't know the game well enough to evaluate it yet. (yeech that sentence is much too long...oh well) BUT these same people feel it's quite alright to trash the game when they have only had it at most a couple of days!!

I would just love to see how some of these folks would react if they met Sid face to face. Do you think they'd trash him and the game like they do on this site??? Yah right.....they would probably be the first ones to lick his boots..
Old November 1, 2001, 04:17   #10
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Honestly, I'd ask him: "You still have that 386 you paid $10,000 for back in your flight sim days?"

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 1, 2001, 05:22   #11
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Honestly, I'd ask him: "You still have that 386 you paid $10,000 for back in your flight sim days?"
Then would you lick his boots???? You wouldn't even have to lick both just one!

Comon, give me somethin here.....
Old November 1, 2001, 05:23   #12
MattHiggs
King

Civ3 is the worst game ever because it's not out in England yet.

Old November 1, 2001, 05:24   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Alright: I'd kiss his $10,000 386 computer. And maybe his SuperBowl ring.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old November 1, 2001, 06:07   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and the interface isn't that bad

It is the same damn game as civ2 after all

press i for irrigate

and r for roads

not real hard to figure out