Old October 31, 2001, 21:14   #1
Draco of GL
Settler

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
need some help; no horses
I've started 5 games already (6th in progress), and gotten up to about 1100 AD in each of them. I have yet to see a single horse resource in a game yet. I've discovered the Wheel, but no horse tiles ever appear on the map. In each game I've explored between 1/4 and 1/3 of the map, but nothing yet.

I looked up horses in the Civlopedia, and it says they can be found in grassland and tundra squares. I've built plenty of cities in grassland, but nothing yet.

Any help? I think I'm missing something, but can't imagine what I might be doing wrong. Do the horses only show up in city areas, or do they pop up everywhere like the game and cattle squares? I'm getting a little tired of being the ONLY civ with no horses.

I guess I'll add a 2nd thing I've noticed. My starting position always seems to be up in a corner of the map, never anywhere near the middle. And I always seem to be near another civ; the game I just started I'm doing a Large map with only 4 other civs, and within 20 turns I found I was bumping right up against the Aztecs.

Chris
Old October 31, 2001, 21:41   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does the Civilopedia mention if there are prerequisits for seeing horses? I know that with most resources, you cant see them until they a technology is discovered.

Or maybe the wheel is that technology...

Sorry, i dont have the game yet, so just taking a stab in the dark.
Old October 31, 2001, 21:44   #3
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
Oh - I thought I was being excluded

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 31, 2001, 22:21   #4
Draco of GL
Settler

Well, I'm going to keep bumping this to the top, cuz it's REALLY pissing me off. I finally saw the first horse I've ever seen just now, but of course, the Aztecs had it. On a continent large enough to have TWO civs with plenty of cities and tons of leftover space, there's a grand total of ONE horse.

That's messed up. I certainly hope there's something I'm missing.

Chris
Old October 31, 2001, 22:57   #5
Serial
Settler

Local Time: 15:41
When you research the wheel the horse icons will appear for you on map (like the other resources do). But hell its takes some finding them. I had to build roads half way across the map to them (literally).

BTW does you name stand for "Draco of Great Lakes" meaning you play Ultima online?.
Old October 31, 2001, 23:11   #6
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 10:41
Well, the only thing i can say is that the resources are very rare.

But also, if you discover the tech, you have to go back and serach through all the places where there is fog of war AGAIN.

just in case you didn't know.
Old November 1, 2001, 01:26   #7
Ludwig
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:41
The strategic resources seem to be very rare.

When the developers said, "You can't be a warmonger from the first turn onward" they weren't kidding. You NEED trade in this game in a way that you didn't in Civ II.

You just have to ask the Aztecs what they want for horses.

It will probably be a lot, but -

Take the deal.

They will eviscerate you if you hang around with no mobile units for too long.

Try to find extra iron - they might be willing to take iron from you one-up....Of course, iron is almost as rare as horses....
Old November 1, 2001, 01:37   #8
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Ludwig
The strategic resources seem to be very rare.

When the developers said, "You can't be a warmonger from the first turn onward" they weren't kidding. You NEED trade in this game in a way that you didn't in Civ II.

You just have to ask the Aztecs what they want for horses.

It will probably be a lot, but -

Take the deal.

They will eviscerate you if you hang around with no mobile units for too long.

Try to find extra iron - they might be willing to take iron from you one-up....Of course, iron is almost as rare as horses....

All I will say is, I told you all the Aztecs were not to be trifled with..

Dan
Old November 1, 2001, 01:44   #9
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
makeo will be pleased to hear that.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 1, 2001, 02:11   #10
Draco of GL
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Serial
When you research the wheel the horse icons will appear for you on map (like the other resources do). But hell its takes some finding them. I had to build roads half way across the map to them (literally).

BTW does you name stand for "Draco of Great Lakes" meaning you play Ultima online?.
I do, or at least did. I'm cancelling my account in November. I've already given my cabin away to a friend.

Well, I started yet ANOTHER game today. I ended up on a continent with the Germans. Again, the continent was plenty big for both of us, but there was ONE horse on the whole thing. I made it a mission to find one ASAP, and I found it on the outskirts of his territory. I built a settler and ran it down there on the double and managed to get it. Now I've spent over 1000 years building a road back to the meat of my empire (damn jungles; takes fovever to build a road thru them.)

At the very least, there should be a slider in the game like in AoE for more or less resources.

Chris
Old November 1, 2001, 02:13   #11
Draco of GL
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

All I will say is, I told you all the Aztecs were not to be trifled with..

Dan
In every game I've played so far, the warmongering empires always got the only horse resource. The Iriquois, the Aztecs, and the Germans.

Hey Dan. How about giving us the option of increasing or decreasing the # of resources available?

Chris
Old November 1, 2001, 02:31   #12
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Draco of GL

In every game I've played so far, the warmongering empires always got the only horse resource. The Iriquois, the Aztecs, and the Germans.

Hey Dan. How about giving us the option of increasing or decreasing the # of resources available?

Chris
You can do that in the editor, but it won't help you with a game you're already playing. There is a setting on the resources page (don't have a recent build of the editor loaded at home, so apologies for the lack of precision on this) that controls how many resources will be seeded on a world. You could also set it so a resource was available in a larger selection of terrain types, which would "open it up" more.

Dan