Old November 1, 2001, 00:31   #1
LordRiker
Settler

Local Time: 10:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Poor Balance
i wonder why they made all the beginning buildings so expensive from the other civ games, it seem to take over 50 turns to make a barracks or granery (ancient age, just starting the game) also is this a bug? because its really pissing me off, its never happened in Civ 1 and 2 or SMAC.. within 5-10 turns of starting the game my cities keep going into civil disorder! whats up with that? this is even on the easiest level, Civ 3 sucks, its just pissing me off.

I've been a huge fan of Sid Meier Games, I own original copies of every one from Railroad Tycoon 1 Deluxe to Civ 1 to Colonization to Civ 2 MP Gold to SMAC and Expansions and I've loved every single one so i can overlook alot in Civ3 but it still manages to get me annoyed and ruined my experience. Im very Disapointed in Civ 3, Even CTP 1 and 2 are better in my opinion.

Im very willing to give it another chance if someone can help with these problems, I want to like it but I dont think i can.
Old November 1, 2001, 00:34   #2
Sitting Bull
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:42
Old November 1, 2001, 00:49   #3
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

If your cities are going into disorder 5-10 turns after you start, then you must be playing on a high difficulty level. So start on a lower level first of all.

As for the slow pace at the beginning, that seems to be by design. The whole pacing of the game is changed. In Civ2 you could rocket through the ancient times and be at 1500 AD and Industrialization within a few hours of starting. Now it takes you hours just to get to 0 AD. In my opinion this makes the game much better. You actually have time to use the units of the ancient era, fight wars, conduct diplomacy etc. When was the last time in Civ2 you fought a major war using legions, archers, and phalanxes? Or for that matter, when was the last time in Civ2 you even bothered to build a legion?
Old November 1, 2001, 00:56   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:42
LordRiker, if you don't like the cost of the improvements, just edit them in the eidtor.

And to say CTP 1 or 2 is better than CivIII is just blasphemy; say five "Hail Sids" and you shall be absolved.
Old November 1, 2001, 01:00   #5
LordRiker
Settler

the Difficulty level was set to the easiest, thats why i dont understand why im getting that civil disorder stuff and at this point my friends CTP is looking mighty better then Civ 3 but i wont give up yet on it
Old November 1, 2001, 01:55   #6
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LordRiker
the Difficulty level was set to the easiest, thats why i dont understand why im getting that civil disorder stuff and at this point my friends CTP is looking mighty better then Civ 3 but i wont give up yet on it
Something you're saying is not right then, because there is no possible way on the easiest difficulty level that your cities could go into disorder just 5 or 10 turns after you start. The first few citizens are always content on that level, and it's not possible to grow that fast.

But even so, the solutions for civil disorder are straightforward: station troops in your cities (up to 2 will make people content under Despotism), research Ceremonial Burial and build a temple, and get access to luxuries by building a road to them and a colony on top of them if they are not in your territory. This stuff is all in the manual.
Old November 1, 2001, 02:01   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:42
LordRiker, the following is a quote from "Dan from Firaxis":

Quote:
It needs to be stressed that you can't apply the same exact techniques that you used in Civ II to Civ III if you expect to stay in the game competitively. Civil Disorder early in the game is a clear sign you're not spending enough time on building infrastructure and trade.

Dan
The key here is that you need to build infrstucture and trade - make sure your city is connected to a "luxury good" via a road - this should alleviate your civil disorder problem.