Old November 1, 2001, 01:24   #1
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 10:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just started a World War!!!
I put it on Chieftain, huuuuge map, 16 civs and was the Persians. 9 of us ended up on one super continent, 3 on an island that was connected to the continent by shallow water, and I don't know where the others are. The game had been going really slow so I attacked the Zulus with my Immortals and whomped 'em. I then set about building roads everywhere and getting through the techs real fast. After awhile I was getting bored again, and I had contact with all the civs nearby and had traded and got all the maps so I knew everything on the continent/island.

So I attacked England.

They were holding their own and making ground so I got Germany to declare war with England. England got Zululand to declare war on both of us. From there it became a World War.

It was England, Zululand, and Babylon vs. the rest of the World - 4 civs

I was the only one with a flank near England so I did most of the fighting with them, but everyone else started taking out the Zulus and Babylons.

This was awesome. No one was severly taken out, but the bad blood between me and England remained after they made peace with me. So later when they refused to take their troops out of my land I called them on it and they declared war. This time I'm doing much better and I'm almost to London.

What I don't get though is the propensity for the enemy civs to raize captured towns. Oh well, this is sooooooo fun!!!!!!
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old November 1, 2001, 03:48   #2
Faboba
King

Local Time: 15:42
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
And that ladies and gentlemen is how the AI behaves on CHIEFTAIN!

By the way..... I hate to nitpick but 9 and 3 is not 16
Old November 1, 2001, 09:24   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:42
Re: I just started a World War!!!
Faboba:

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
9 of us ended up on one super continent, 3 on an island that was connected to the continent by shallow water, and I don't know where the others are.
Anyway...

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
What I don't get though is the propensity for the enemy civs to raize captured towns. Oh well, this is sooooooo fun!!!!!!
I think this is actually an intelligent thing to do in many cases. In my current game, the Egyptians took two of my cities, and the larger one revolted right back to me the next turn. Now if they had razed it.......
Old November 1, 2001, 14:01   #4
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
No one said I could READ......
Old November 2, 2001, 16:41   #5
Haphazard
Warlord

I'm impressed. Does your allies actually fight with substantial numbers when you get them to declare war on your enemies rather than send a couple of units like in Civ2?
Old November 2, 2001, 17:34   #6
absimiliard
Chieftain

When the Germans & I (Babylon) allied to waste the Zulus I was astonished at the German response. I expected them to not declare war until I demanded it and even then I expected them to mostly ignore the Zulus. Basically I'd allied w. them & negotiated passage rights simply so I could flank the Zulus and not have them bribing the Germans into war with me.

That's not how it went.

I moved my troops through Germany and, now in position, declared war. I then plan that the next turn I will advance my troops. (I'm an honorable guy and prefer to not attack until after I've declared war.) What happened next astonished me.

Immediately Germany declares war. They rapidly mobilize their troops. Soon the Germans & I are deep in Zulu territory and I'm getting very nervous the Germans may take more cities than I. In particular they're heavily threatening Intombe which is the city with Iron (which I lack) that really started the whole war. In short order our combined forces wipe the Zulus out.

I am astonished at how ferocious they were in battle. No Civ-oid AI that I've ever seen (not even Santiago or Miriam in SMAC) has ever been so effective in a war-zone. Very impressive.
Old November 2, 2001, 19:38   #7
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 10:42
Alright, an update.

I sort of cheated and retired, thereby allowing me to see the whole map. That's how I discovered where the other 4 civs were. They were all on a decent sized island pretty far from me.

OK, I had a three pronged attack against the English driving from the East, West and Center. They were the northern most civ and were contained by the sea. I took over all of their cities without too much trouble.

During that time I had been researching like mad and finally got Nationalism. After I had taken out the English I was talking to Bismark and decided to join in a mutual protection pact. After one turn I was called upon to honor it. So, off my armies went to subdue the hated Babylonians (which I had warred with earlier, but only indirectly).

I took two cities in the rout of Babylon, the Americans took at least one and the Iroquis were also heavily involved. The Babylons did not have a chance.

Then I set out to find those other civs and find out what they knew. After a long journey my galleon reached them and I found out how liitle they knew technologically. I traded them a lot of techs to get them to be able to trade with me and then I was able to get them to trade me their luxury resouces with me bringing my luxureies up to I think 5.

The Americans have just started a string of military alliances. The Americans, Iroquis, French, and Indians are all in various military pacts with each other which is why I'm thinking of buildinh a navy and some armys (I have the military academy) to go attack the seperated island and take it out.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"