Old November 1, 2001, 06:57   #1
PresidentMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help: Falling Behind in the Tech Race
I'm an experienced civ player who uses a peaceful, perfectionist, technology driven strategy. I got civ3 on tuesday and have been playing on warlord level to get a feel for the game.

The problem I keep running to is that I'm always behind in the tech race. I've tried everything: go straight for republic, go straight for monarchy, go straight for literature, etc. I've put my science rate as high as a dared, and even ran my treasurey down to practically zero in the pursuit of more knowledge. And yet, no matter what I do, the enemy civ's are always ahead of me in tech.

Are they cheating? That seems doubtful to me, since this is only warlord level. What am I doing wrong? Help!
Old November 1, 2001, 10:21   #2
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 16:44
Look at the other threads on the subject, you are far from alone.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old November 1, 2001, 12:05   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
My best advice (at least, what worked for me on this one game) is to start researching stuff the computer doesnt right away, especially in the middle ages. they'll research fluff like music theory and free artistry, but I managed to head for physics and use the techs I researched to both trade for stuff i didn't have and sell for some incredibly lucrative deals. I managed to get about 100 gold per turn in tribute from civs who payed lots for my techs. That let me raise the science rate and stay competitive.